Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: intertap/perlick  (Read 6244 times)

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
Re: intertap/perlick
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2018, 07:43:49 pm »
Are your lines balanced? Williams customer service is pretty awesome, they may have some ideas to fix your issue without having to give up on them. I don't have the flow control but hopefully some folks who do will chime in

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2018, 07:50:52 pm »
Don't know about blatz, but I'm balanced; I've even accounted for my 1000 ft elevation above sea level.  Ergo, probably didn't have reason for flow control in the first place.   ::)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2018, 07:59:25 pm »
Don't know about blatz, but I'm balanced; I've even accounted for my 1000 ft elevation above sea level.  Ergo, probably didn't have reason for flow control in the first place.   ::)

I will call Williams tomorrow;  that said I am balanced and have never had an issue like this in the 10 years I’ve had ventmatics and perlicks.  I literally just cleaned my lines and swapped out the hardware. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Robert

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2018, 08:08:19 pm »

I will call Williams tomorrow;  that said I am balanced and have never had an issue like this in the 10 years I’ve had ventmatics and perlicks.  I literally just cleaned my lines and swapped out the hardware. 

Please share any helpful advice they may provide. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2018, 09:32:27 pm »
With my Perlick flow control faucets, I can poor a glass of beer with 1 mm of foam if I want to.

Sometimes I do get pours that are hollow in the middle. The beer clings to the cylinder but it’s not fully flowing so it looks hollow. But, that doesn’t cause foam for me. It just looks weird.  I can stop that by adjusting the lever (opening and closing) while pouring or usually it will stop on it’s own before the glass is full.

The only foam issues I get are a bit foam at the very beginning of the pour. It’s like the tap spits foam for the first half ounce and then flows foam free. This happens sometimes but not all the time. I have always associated that with a dirty tap because it seems to go away if I clean the tap. I don’t always clean the tap though because it’s not much foam.

- formerly alestateyall.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2018, 11:52:16 am »
Not liking the intertap flow control faucets - hollow pours.  Thinking about trying to return them.  :(

My issue is that using the restriction seems to cause foaming.

Suppose it's turbulence introduced at the flow restricting ball.

This is my theory as well.  It pours fine when wide open (but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a flow control faucet), and it pours fine when almost entirely restricted (but it's just so slow at that point).  Between those points, it pours foamy.

When my current keg kicks, I'm switching that tap back to the Perlick.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Robert

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2018, 12:44:50 pm »
I just got an Intertap stainless w/o flow control to swap out when I clean this week.  Will report how I find it in comparison.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline blatz

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2018, 12:47:06 pm »
I just got an Intertap stainless w/o flow control to swap out when I clean this week.  Will report how I find it in comparison.

Spoke with Williams.  I’m sending my flow controls back and swapping for regulars.  The guy I spoke with (super nice) agreed that the flow control shuttle caused too much restriction.  Said he was never inclined to switch from the regular Intertaps and also this wasn’t the first time he’d heard this issue, and agreed it would annoy him too.

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline blatz

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2018, 05:07:51 pm »
Got the regular non flow control Intertaps yesterday (great customer service Williams!). Installed today - perfect!  So much better!

Offline Robert

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2018, 05:22:18 pm »
Can't wait to get mine installed!  Glad to hear it's worth it.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Robert

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2018, 06:42:14 pm »
Got the regular non flow control Intertaps yesterday (great customer service Williams!). Installed today - perfect!  So much better!

Oh yes indeed!  So for me it's fourth time's the charm -- been through standard vented (absolute worst,) "wrecking ball" Perlick (distant second best,) Intertap flow control (disappointing)  and now, the winner! :)  And thanks Blatz, if you hadn't raised the issue I might never have realized my pour problems were down to the design and not operator error (default assumption.   ::) )
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 06:48:15 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2018, 04:52:02 pm »
I have intertaps and I love them.  I especially love that I can put a growler filler on there super easy.  Also, I am muy pleased with the spring that I use for an auto shut off. It was stiff for the first few months but the more you drink, the looser they get.  Kinda like my ex.

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2018, 09:56:41 pm »
I have my stout spout on for an oatmeal stout and it is fuggin on point. Creamy as can be, makes it seem like I have a nitro faucet.
I recently bought the ball lock connector so I am waiting to try and hook up a beer gun to the faucet. I will probably never buy another tap beside intertap.
Again, love them. Love the stout spout, the growler filler, etc.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2019, 01:09:18 pm »
Reviving this thread. I now have 2 Perlick FC and one InterTap FC faucet. Both brands work equally well with my setup (faucet attached to QD via adapter).

No problems with hollow pours on the InterTap.

The faucets are slightly different. The Perlick know is down for shut off up for full open. InterTap is shut when up or down with the middle position full open.  The InterTap is much easier to turn the knob. Neither are difficult. Neither faucet drips.

Offline Robert

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2019, 01:32:27 pm »
I have continued to have perfect pours with the Intertap regular faucet, even since installing the self-closing spring.  But I did have terrible trouble with the flow control version.  Have you done anything different to stop getting the hollow pours?

(Slightly off topic:  My new, chromed brass tap handle is heavy enough that the self-closing spring does not reliably self-close.  But at least it doesn't cause turbulent flow.)

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio