Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottling from keg  (Read 4849 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Bottling from keg
« on: August 17, 2018, 01:33:18 pm »
I'm thinking about switching from bottling to kegging to have more control over carbonation.  But if I did want to bottle a few from the keg, is there an inexpensive way (without buying a beer gun or other accessory)to do that and still retain an accurate carbonation level?

Also do the "picnic taps" work ok when dispensing beer?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: Bottling from keg
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 01:44:21 pm »
I'm thinking about switching from bottling to kegging to have more control over carbonation.  But if I did want to bottle a few from the keg, is there an inexpensive way (without buying a beer gun or other accessory)to do that and still retain an accurate carbonation level?

There are many different ways.

Here is one: turn off gas to keg, bleed most of the pressure through the release valve, purge bottle with CO2, fill at an angle straight from tap, and cap on foam.

If you have Intertap faucets, you can use the growler filler attachment and a piece of tubing to fill the bottle from the bottom.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/intertap-beer-faucet-parts-growler-filler-spout.html

https://www.morebeer.com/products/stainless-steel-growler-filler-fits-intertap-faucets.html

You can also build a sort of counter pressure filler by adding a stopper.

http://brulosophy.com/2016/07/14/the-bru-bottler-update-how-to-build-your-own/
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 03:55:36 pm »
If you aren't going to consume the bottled beer pretty much immediately, you have to have a way of purging the bottle with CO2

Well... you don't "have to"... it's not like there's a law.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 04:26:44 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Bottling from keg
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 05:03:58 pm »
I’ve seen a bottle wand modified and fit onto a cobra tap as a “poor man’s beer gun”.

http://www.craftbrewing.com/blog/poor-mans-beer-gun/

As well as Intertap mentioned above, if you have Perlick‘s you can also get a bottle/growler filler to fill from the bottom.

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/growlerfiller.htm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 05:09:34 pm by BrewBama »

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 05:24:11 pm »
You could clean your bottles empty them right before filling and pour off of like 1-4 psi from your taps.  Hit the bottle with a screw driver (handle part) and then cap on foam. That’s how I fill growlers, though I have a growler attachment. But if your beer is carbonated and you purge the keg, then push at a low psi, cap on foam. You should be ok.
I, not sure how long they would store that way, but it’s pretty much the same as a bottling gun, minus the purging your bottles with co2 part.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline LeeH

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 07:17:39 pm »
I use the Blichmann beer gun to great effect. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 07:53:41 am »

.... Also do the "picnic taps" work ok when dispensing beer?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I have been using picnic taps for several years (since I started kegging) and they work fine. I am contemplating an Intertap keg faucet https://www.williamsbrewing.com/Intertap-Stainless-Keg-Faucet-P4045.aspx though for the price, picnic taps are pretty decent.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 10:41:56 am »
I use something like that with a Perlick flow control faucet.

The adapter I use is available here: https://www.chicompany.net/beer-store/ball-pin-lock-kegs-parts/ball-lock-keg-parts/faucets-for-ball-lock-kegs/qd-adaptor-for-flow-control-faucets

Mine is a very expensive solution. But, I can connect directly to the keg and serve at full pressure.

I fill bottles with the Perlick Growler Filler adapter: https://www.amazon.com/Growler-Filler-Perlick-600-Faucets/dp/B00MZBW276

I don’t purge with CO2 as I never leave beer in bottles longer than a few days.

- formerly alestateyall.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 11:12:59 am »
I've used nothing but picnic taps for 20 years.  To bottle, I put a piece of tubing through a one hole #2 (maybe 2 1/2) stopper.  The diameter of the tubing is such that it fits inside one of the picnic taps, and and it's long enough to reach the bottom of the bottle while sticking up a few inches above the stopper.  I unscrew a QD from one of my CO lines and use that line to purge the bottle.  I put the end of the tubing into a picnic tap and seat the stopper in the bottle.  I open the picnic tap and the bottle fils about 1/3 of the way before back pressure stops the flow.  I then use my thumb to gently crack the stopper just a bit, so the flow starts again. When the bottle is full, I close the picnic tap, remove the stopper and cap.  Easy, cheap, and effective.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 02:41:26 pm »
I've used nothing but picnic taps for 20 years.  To bottle, I put a piece of tubing through a one hole #2 (maybe 2 1/2) stopper.  The diameter of the tubing is such that it fits inside one of the picnic taps, and and it's long enough to reach the bottom of the bottle while sticking up a few inches above the stopper.  I unscrew a QD from one of my CO lines and use that line to purge the bottle.  I put the end of the tubing into a picnic tap and seat the stopper in the bottle.  I open the picnic tap and the bottle fils about 1/3 of the way before back pressure stops the flow.  I then use my thumb to gently crack the stopper just a bit, so the flow starts again. When the bottle is full, I close the picnic tap, remove the stopper and cap.  Easy, cheap, and effective.

This does sound easy, and simple to get parts for. As a related question, when purging with CO2, I am wildly guessing because of course, it's not visible. For a bottle, would three seconds be about right? And I assume CO2 will float away pretty quickly so I should purge, fill, & cap each bottle at a time?
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline banjo-guy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 07:49:03 pm »
I fill my bottles with Starsan and push the Starsan out of the bottle with 1-2 lbs pressure of Co2. It’s exactly the same concept as purging a keg that’s filled with Starsan.

Offline Robert

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2018, 07:58:03 pm »
I fill my bottles with Starsan and push the Starsan out of the bottle with 1-2 lbs pressure of Co2. It’s exactly the same concept as purging a keg that’s filled with Starsan.

Hey banjo-guy, didn't you have a thread a while back with a linked video on your DIY bottle filler?  I thought of that reading this thread. It might be time for a link or a bump.  If I'm recalling another forum member, apologies.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline banjo-guy

• Assistant Brewer
Bottling from keg
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2018, 08:19:47 pm »

Hey banjo-guy, didn't you have a thread a while back with a linked video on your DIY bottle filler?  I thought of that reading this thread. It might be time for a link or a bump.  If I'm recalling another forum member, apologies.
Robert. That was my video. I just took it down. The filler itself is shown in Pimp My System.  I was a little surprised that there was so little interest in the gadget. It’s really easy to use and make.
I’ll repost the video or make new one.
https://youtu.be/kF4pnj5iFK8

« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 08:48:48 pm by banjo-guy »

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 12:46:48 pm »
287.6deg] AR
View Profile  Dennybrew  Personal Message (Offline)

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 05:12:59 PM »
I've used nothing but picnic taps for 20 years.  To bottle, I put a piece of tubing through a one hole #2 (maybe 2 1/2) stopper.  The diameter of the tubing is such that it fits inside one of the picnic taps, and and it's long enough to reach the bottom of the bottle while sticking up a few inches above the stopper.  I unscrew a QD from one of my CO lines and use that line to purge the bottle. 

What is the QD that you're talking about?  I've never kegged and I am clueless.
Thanks for yoiur help.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2018, 02:27:35 pm »
287.6deg] AR
View Profile  Dennybrew  Personal Message (Offline)

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 05:12:59 PM »
I've used nothing but picnic taps for 20 years.  To bottle, I put a piece of tubing through a one hole #2 (maybe 2 1/2) stopper.  The diameter of the tubing is such that it fits inside one of the picnic taps, and and it's long enough to reach the bottom of the bottle while sticking up a few inches above the stopper.  I unscrew a QD from one of my CO lines and use that line to purge the bottle. 

What is the QD that you're talking about?  I've never kegged and I am clueless.
Thanks for yoiur help.
QD is short for quick disconnect.  It is the adapter used to connect the hose to the post on the keg.  Denny takes the QD off the gas hose, puts the hose into the empty bottle and turns on some CO2, then fills the bottle using his homemade device (above).
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995