Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bru'n Water files blocked by Gmail  (Read 6027 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Bru'n Water files blocked by Gmail
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2018, 07:30:46 am »
All I want for Christmas is a web based brun water app
+1
Downloaded it once, tried to open it in Excel app, won't run, decided maybe brewing gods are smiling on my never having used software.  But I'd give it a try!
Having the same issue. Finally got excel on my PC, down loaded free copy of Brunwater but excel won't let me edit the spreadsheet. If I click "edit anyway"  the sheet goes blank.
Mabrungard

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
If it says it's an old format and you can't save changes, you just have to save a copy and you can edit that.  I ultimately had no problem with the free version.  The supporter version is also problem free and I'm running it in the Excel app on my phone.  I just still have to make copies for separate recipes because the Android version of Excel doesn't run macros.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2018, 07:47:56 am »
Well damn. I'm not sure what's going on with mine. I shall e-mail the creator.

Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2018, 07:55:58 am »
All I want for Christmas is a web based brun water app
+1
Downloaded it once, tried to open it in Excel app, won't run, decided maybe brewing gods are smiling on my never having used software.  But I'd give it a try!
Having the same issue. Finally got excel on my PC, down loaded free copy of Brunwater but excel won't let me edit the spreadsheet. If I click "edit anyway"  the sheet goes blank.
Mabrungard

If it says it's an old format and you can't save changes, you just have to save a copy and you can edit that.  I ultimately had no problem with the free version.  The supporter version is also problem free and I'm running it in the Excel app on my phone.  I just still have to make copies for separate recipes because the Android version of Excel doesn't run macros.
Here are the steps I have to complete to edit a new Brunwater version.

1. Change the file extension to .xls
2. Open the spreadsheet: the file opens in “Protected View”.
3. Place cursor in the formula bar and click. Excel will tell you “Protected View is preventing you from editing. If you trust the source of this file, click Enable Editing.”  I click that once and it never asks again (until Martin releases a new version.)

The “formula bar” is the space above the cells where you can see and edit the currently selected cell contents.

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2018, 08:06:06 am »
Thanks a lot. I will try those steps as well.

I have already tried to "unprotect sheet" but it asks for a password I do not have.

Offline Robert

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2018, 08:15:57 am »

I have already tried to "unprotect sheet" but it asks for a password I do not have.

Hmm.  When I first downloaded the supporter version, Excel wouldn't let me open it saying it was password protected.   Martin said it wasn't.  Never solved that one, kept using the free version.   When Martin sent the next update,  I followed steps as outlined by Tommy, and smooth sailing, I'm using the latest supporter version.   You seem to be having the phantom password problem I thought was unique to me.   Hopefully Martin knows what the heck is going on.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2018, 11:09:13 am »

Hmm.  When I first downloaded the supporter version, Excel wouldn't let me open it saying it was password protected.   Martin said it wasn't.  Never solved that one, kept using the free version.   When Martin sent the next update,  I followed steps as outlined by Tommy, and smooth sailing, I'm using the latest supporter version.   You seem to be having the phantom password problem I thought was unique to me.   Hopefully Martin knows what the heck is going on.
If you are finding a place to click unprotect and then get a password request, you may be  trying to remove the protection that hides the formulas. Those are Martin’s intellectual property and we (customers) aren’t supposed to have access to see or change them. 

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2018, 11:11:28 am »

If you are finding a place to click unprotect and then get a password request, you may be  trying to remove the protection that hides the formulas. Those are Martin’s intellectual property and we (customers) aren’t supposed to have access to see or change them.
I would not want to do that. Then I'd be stuck with beersmith 3 and it's so-called Mash pH predictions.

Offline Robert

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2018, 11:52:49 am »

Okay,  that's different, not what I was up against.   Office would not even open the file because I didn't have the nonexistent password.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2018, 07:34:24 pm »
Well I figured it out. On accident I guess.
I went to the view tab and clicked "new window". Bada boom bada bing.
No more Beer Smith 3 mash pH guesswork.

Thanks for all your help guys..

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2018, 06:45:45 am »
Bru'n Water should work without asking for a password.

Rob, are you saying that you have gotten Bru'n Water to work on a phone?
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Robert

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2018, 09:11:25 am »
Bru'n Water should work without asking for a password.

Rob, are you saying that you have gotten Bru'n Water to work on a phone?
Yep.  The first supporter version I got had that bizarre situation with MS Office claiming the file itself was password protected.   Never solved that,  but it seems to be a unique situation, nobody else seems to have experienced it.  But I was always able to use the free version on my Android.   When you sent out the new v.5.4, I was able to change it to .xls etc per your instructions, and have had no troubles at all.  The only caveat is that the Android version of Excel doesn't run macros.   I just save copies with a different extension for each recipe.   In fact Android Excel only allows you to save changes to a copy anyway, so it's a natural workaround.   I'm happy with it.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Robert

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2018, 08:03:22 am »
^^^^
Got v.5.5 this morning, same as above, no problem.  Cheers.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio