Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's next after "Brewing Classic Styles"?  (Read 3686 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: What's next after "Brewing Classic Styles"?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2018, 09:40:00 am »
I own "Brewing Classic Styles" and have had great success brewing beers from that book and adapting recipes from ones in that book. Is there a suggested "next" book that would be a good follow-up with more good recipes, etc?

Thanks!

Surprised no one has mentioned Ray Daniels. If you want the best follow up to BCS then Designing Great Beers is what you are looking for. Ray's credentials are unmatched:

https://www.brewerspublications.com/products/designing-great-beers-the-ultimate-guide-to-brewing-classic-beer-styles

Unfortunately that book is so outmormdte that it's usefulness i really in question.

I think Ray would agree.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2018, 11:36:17 am »
I own "Brewing Classic Styles" and have had great success brewing beers from that book and adapting recipes from ones in that book. Is there a suggested "next" book that would be a good follow-up with more good recipes, etc?

Thanks!

Surprised no one has mentioned Ray Daniels. If you want the best follow up to BCS then Designing Great Beers is what you are looking for. Ray's credentials are unmatched:

https://www.brewerspublications.com/products/designing-great-beers-the-ultimate-guide-to-brewing-classic-beer-styles

Unfortunately that book is so outmormdte that it's usefulness i really in question.

I think Ray would agree.

I know he would.  I've talked to him about it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2018, 03:55:27 pm »

Thanks!

If "outmormdte" means what I think it does, I'd say the same goes for the whole BA Classic Beer Style Series as well.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2018, 10:42:02 pm »

Thanks!

I think Ray would agree.

I know he would.  I've talked to him about it.

I kind of felt this way upon reading it 5-6 years ago when I first got it. It seemed like a great book for the time it was published, but it stopped being relevant. Kind of a shame, because you can tell Ray put a ton of work and love into it.

I really enjoyed Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher. I'd recommend borrowing Homebrew Allstars, as it's a great jumping off point. It's a great collection of sources, and I feel like going through that might help you find the next topic you'd like to dive into. I don't really read homebrew books for the recipes though, so take that as you will.

Offline Jeff Zesch

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2018, 01:26:57 am »
outmormdte?????

Offline davidw

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2018, 04:38:52 am »
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. And mine is: compared to the other books offered as follow ups they pail in comparison to DGB's. There is a wealth of historical information as well as great starting points for recipe development. Taken together it's an excellent resource.

Ray is modest, I know, I've talked to him too . . .(since we seem to find it important to drop names).

david
"The intriguing situation about brewing, on the other hand, is that mechanisms are theoretically possible, and the real key to success is the ability to identify those that are genuinely relevant in any particular situation."

~ George Fix : Introduction, Principles of Brewing Science

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2018, 06:48:14 am »
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. And mine is: compared to the other books offered as follow ups they pail in comparison to DGB's. There is a wealth of historical information as well as great starting points for recipe development. Taken together it's an excellent resource.

Ray is modest, I know, I've talked to him too . . .(since we seem to find it important to drop names).

david
At a HomebrewCon a few years back, I mentioned to Pat Fahey that I knew Ray, and that he can go by one name, like Cher. That got a big laugh from Pat.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2018, 08:13:59 am »
outmormdte?????

That's what happens when you type with one finger under the influence of painkillers.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2018, 08:35:38 am »
outmormdte?????

That's what happens when you type with one finger under the influence of painkillers.
That does explain some of the "words" in some of your recent posts,  Denny.  But I always understand exactly what they mean.   Now I'm kinda worried about my brain.  :o
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2018, 08:49:00 am »
outmormdte?????

That does explain some of the "words" in some of your recent posts,  Denny.  But I always understand exactly what they mean.   Now I'm kinda worried about my brain.  :o

;D

www.dennybrew.com

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2018, 02:50:11 pm »
As long as Denny doesn't start typing "covfefe" I think we are okay. 8)

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2018, 03:13:05 pm »
outmormdte?????

I recently saw an ad for a t-shirt that read, "1N73LL1G3NC3 15 7H3 4B1L17Y 70 4D4P7 70 CH4NG3"
In spite of comprehending this, I still get upset when people use "their", "there" and "they're" wrong.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Robert

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2018, 04:14:05 pm »
outmormdte?????

I recently saw an ad for a t-shirt that read, "1N73LL1G3NC3 15 7H3 4B1L17Y 70 4D4P7 70 CH4NG3"
In spite of comprehending this, I still get upset when people use "their", "there" and "they're" wrong.
Very cool, Jeffy!

I am reminded that written language is, in its origins,  a crude and "just good enough" attempt to suggest to the recipient the sounds of spoken language,  which is primary for us humans.  Literacy may have made us forget that.  Texting and autocorrupt, ironically, seem to be returning us to the fundamentals of human culture.  Or maybe just shoving us into that handbasket, either way.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2018, 08:58:48 am »
Or perhaps texting is just training us to lower our standard of expectation of what really qualifies as "communication".
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2018, 09:40:04 am »
Or perhaps texting is just training us to lower our standard of expectation of what really qualifies as "communication".

I like to think that there's a law of conservation of stupidity, much like matter. Like matter or energy, stupidity cannot be created or destroyed. Some people will be less dumb about certain things. Over time, we may get better at some things, but we will get worse at others. The quest for knowledge is a sisyphean task, the only respite is to enjoy the process.