Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's next after "Brewing Classic Styles"?  (Read 3685 times)

Offline ericw

• 1st Kit
What's next after "Brewing Classic Styles"?
« on: November 28, 2018, 11:40:18 am »
I own "Brewing Classic Styles" and have had great success brewing beers from that book and adapting recipes from ones in that book. Is there a suggested "next" book that would be a good follow-up with more good recipes, etc?

Thanks!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: What's next after "Brewing Classic Styles"?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 12:01:59 pm »
How about Experimental Homebrewing for something a bit different?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 01:15:40 pm »
Maybe Radial Brewing by Randy Mosher
Ralph R.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 01:34:09 pm »
Good suggestions,  and if you're interested in historical beers (up to ~1960, just a few years after Denny became an established authority on brewing ;) ) Ron Pattinson's The Home Brewer's Guide to Vintage Beer and Let's Brew! are great resources, recipes compiled from his blog.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 02:19:56 pm »
Good suggestions,  and if you're interested in historical beers (up to ~1960, just a few years after Denny became an established authority on brewing ;) ) Ron Pattinson's The Home Brewer's Guide to Vintage Beer and Let's Brew! are great resources, recipes compiled from his blog.

;D

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 08:46:46 pm »
Gordon Strong's book would be next in that it is written by a winner of Homebrewer of the Year back when people medaled in multiple catergories in the NHC.  There is just one caveat.  He has his own particular brewing philosophy which if you brew exclusively with RO water will work like a charm, but if you find part of the challenge/enjoyment of brewing is messing with water chemistry than you might not like it as much.  I'm in the latter category so I haven't read the book, but I can't argue with his results.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 04:41:35 am »
Agreed that both of Gordon’s books are well worth reading:

https://www.brewerspublications.com/blogs/author/gordon-strong

For historical perspectives, there are several BA books by Horst Dornbusch and the like that give nice treatment of beer styles with historical background into the style.

Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
    • HomebrewersAssociation.org
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 08:42:05 am »
Looks like the two I would recommend have been mentioned...

"Modern Homebrew Recipes" by Gordon Strong in many ways feels like Brewing Classic Styles. "Experimental Brewing" by Randy Mosher is one of my personal favorites because it has a good mix of history and recipes.

Can't go wrong with either!
American Homebrewers Association / Brewers Association

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 09:35:28 am »
Not a book but the clone recipes on the AHA site and Craft Beer & Brewing's website include a lot of great recipes you can play with that are modern renditions of the style.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 09:41:17 am »
Looks like the two I would recommend have been mentioned...

"Modern Homebrew Recipes" by Gordon Strong in many ways feels like Brewing Classic Styles. "Experimental Brewing" by Randy Mosher is one of my personal favorites because it has a good mix of history and recipes.

Can't go wrong with either!

Um, that's Experimental Homebrewing by Drew and me.  Randy's book is Radical Brewing.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 11:41:05 am »
Another plug for Mosher's Radical Brewing
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2018, 12:26:44 pm »
Before you leap into Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher check out his book called Mastering Homebrew.

And yes, for real historical brewing background and recipes, Ron Pattinson's blog and books.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2018, 01:15:44 pm »
Before you leap into Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher check out his book called Mastering Homebrew.

Excellent suggestion.  An underappreciated book.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline davidw

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018, 06:18:56 am »
I own "Brewing Classic Styles" and have had great success brewing beers from that book and adapting recipes from ones in that book. Is there a suggested "next" book that would be a good follow-up with more good recipes, etc?

Thanks!

Surprised no one has mentioned Ray Daniels. If you want the best follow up to BCS then Designing Great Beers is what you are looking for. Ray's credentials are unmatched:

https://www.brewerspublications.com/products/designing-great-beers-the-ultimate-guide-to-brewing-classic-beer-styles

"The intriguing situation about brewing, on the other hand, is that mechanisms are theoretically possible, and the real key to success is the ability to identify those that are genuinely relevant in any particular situation."

~ George Fix : Introduction, Principles of Brewing Science

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2018, 08:11:04 am »

Thanks!

Surprised no one has mentioned Ray Daniels. If you want the best follow up to BCS then Designing Great Beers is what you are looking for. Ray's credentials are unmatched:

https://www.brewerspublications.com/products/designing-great-beers-the-ultimate-guide-to-brewing-classic-beer-styles

Unfortunately that book is so outmormdte that it's usefulness i really in question.

www.dennybrew.com