Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian dark strong  (Read 9301 times)

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
Re: Belgian dark strong
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2018, 03:50:55 pm »
Held temp at 65F for 7 days, ramped to 75F and held until fermentation stopped.

I wonder what would have happened if you raised the temperature earlier.  I use 3787 a lot, and I usually start and hold it at 68° for 2 days and then let it rise into the low 70's.
I have been loosely following a fermentation timeline from "How to brew like a Monk". Interesting thought. That would be a good experiment.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

Big Monk

« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2018, 06:10:07 am »

I wonder what would have happened if you raised the temperature earlier.  I use 3787 a lot, and I usually start and hold it at 68° for 2 days and then let it rise into the low 70's.
I have been loosely following a fermentation timeline from "How to brew like a Monk". Interesting thought. That would be a good experiment.

A few years ago I reached out to a number of the people quoted in BLAM, most notably Tomme Arthur from Lost Abbey and Phil Lienhart of Ommegang. They were extremely helpful and exchanged about 6 emails each with me discussing fermentation and other parameters.

I had already started experimenting with trying not to temp control these yeasts, 3787, 1214, and 1762 in particular in an effort to get more robust, expedited fermentation and try to match more closely how they actually brew them. Those gents were very helpful and forthcoming with details.

I won't lie: the first few batches without temp control got away from me so it was a learning experience but after that things have gone real well. Very fast and clean (in a relative sense, i.e. no solvent, etc.) fermentation that finish right on the money with high attenuation (85+%) and great flavor profiles.

My basement is good at all times of the year for this. In the summer we have the AC on and I have a spot that stays at about 66F ambient. This helps to clamp down the temp to about the same temp for the first 24-36 hours. After that it takes off gradually toward 74F over the next 3-4 days. In the winter I move it to a different spot that stays around 68F. I have to be a little more careful in the winter as the basement is warmer then, so instead of pitching at 64F like in the summer, i'll cool to about 62F before pitching.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 06:11:48 am by Big Monk »

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2018, 01:17:23 pm »

BeerSmith WAY overestimated the color of Dark Candi rocks. He takes the number on the package at face value. It’s much much lower.
[/quote]

I contacted the manufacturer of the "dark candi sugar" and asked what the actual color contribution would be. They replied 75 SRM.

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2018, 01:28:07 pm »

A few years ago I reached out to a number of the people quoted in BLAM, most notably Tomme Arthur from Lost Abbey and Phil Lienhart of Ommegang. They were extremely helpful and exchanged about 6 emails each with me discussing fermentation and other parameters.

I had already started experimenting with trying not to temp control these yeasts, 3787, 1214, and 1762 in particular in an effort to get more robust, expedited fermentation and try to match more closely how they actually brew them. Those gents were very helpful and forthcoming with details.

I won't lie: the first few batches without temp control got away from me so it was a learning experience but after that things have gone real well. Very fast and clean (in a relative sense, i.e. no solvent, etc.) fermentation that finish right on the money with high attenuation (85+%) and great flavor profiles.

My basement is good at all times of the year for this. In the summer we have the AC on and I have a spot that stays at about 66F ambient. This helps to clamp down the temp to about the same temp for the first 24-36 hours. After that it takes off gradually toward 74F over the next 3-4 days. In the winter I move it to a different spot that stays around 68F. I have to be a little more careful in the winter as the basement is warmer then, so instead of pitching at 64F like in the summer, i'll cool to about 62F before pitching.

I wish I had a Basement!  Not here in Southern California though, they are few and far between.
Although, I can say Lost Abbey is about 30 min drive from my house. I really enjoy there Abbey QUAD with raisins.

Checking gravity again this morning she is at 1.015.Looks like a second fermentation.
I am really enjoying the convenience of the TILT.