Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Increasing body in stout recipie  (Read 4377 times)

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
Increasing body in stout recipie
« on: January 02, 2019, 07:07:52 pm »
I recently brewed a stout that turned out well as far as taste is concerned, however it seems a bit thin. What would be the best way to increase the body without altering the flavor?

grain bill:

7lbs - 2-row
4.5lbs - Maris
1lb - crystal 40
1lb - flaked oats
.5lbs - roasted barley
.5lbs - Special B
.25lbs - black patent
.25lbs - chocolate malt
.25lbs - cherrywood smoked malt
.5lbs - lactose

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford

Offline Brewtopalonian

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Increasing body in stout recipie
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 07:13:56 pm »
What was your mash temp/pH?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 07:19:54 pm »
Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 09:19:29 pm »
What was your mash temp/pH?

the mash temp was 154, i forget exact pH, but it was 5.3 or close.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 09:23:44 pm »
http://howtobrew.com/book/section-4/experiment/increasing-the-body

"Grain brewers can add dextrin malt, caramel malt, unmalted barley or oatmeal" directly from your link, It answers part of my question. How much of which of these to add to increase body with the least impact on the current flavor profile?

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 10:22:35 pm »
http://howtobrew.com/book/section-4/experiment/increasing-the-body

"Grain brewers can add dextrin malt, caramel malt, unmalted barley or oatmeal" directly from your link, It answers part of my question. How much of which of these to add to increase body with the least impact on the current flavor profile?
1.You just got to brew and find out.
I would start with researching some recipes and see what % of malts that are being used.

B. Experiment with mash temp and pH and see what works for you. Your mineral additions can also influence your perception of the beer.

3. Also search this forum. Enter some keywords and see what pops up.
I have read many discussions about stout on this forum.

Lastly check out some podcasts.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 10:25:55 pm by curtdogg »
Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

Offline bigmunchez

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 02:41:20 am »
I'm assuming the beer is already packaged.  A couple of other variables you may be able to tweak are carbonation level and serving temperature. If the beer is in a keg, I have played around with adding maltodextrin powder (dissolved first unless you want a beer fountain), I've also used glycerine with reasonable effect.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 06:04:47 am »
^^^^
Good point on carbonation.  You've already got large amounts of oats, crystal and lactose.  If that didn't do it, more of the same won't.   But with a big, heavy bodied, roasty beer, carbonation can often seem lower than it is, making you perceive the beer as thinner than it is.  I think you'll find more on this if you do search the forum.   I wouldn't add maltodextrin.   All these body building ingredients will just make it seem more like thin syrup, without adequate perceived carbonation to give it "creaminess."
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 08:19:54 am »
I agree with the carbonation comments effecting body.  A bit of Carapils (dextrine malt) in the grain bill will also help.

Another question.  What were your OG and FG numbers?  If it attenuated way down, that could also give the perception of being thin.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline MerlinBrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 02:43:41 pm »
May be LME?

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 07:52:41 pm »
Another question.  What were your OG and FG numbers?  If it attenuated way down, that could also give the perception of being thin.

OG = 1.070
FG = 1.022

Offline Brewtopalonian

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 07:53:38 pm »

OG = 1.070
FG = 1.022
Man, that should have tons of body to it! Bordering on cloying.

Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 08:00:25 pm »

OG = 1.070
FG = 1.022

I agree, body should be better than it is currently being perceived, that is why I asked the question. Something just doesn't seem right.

Also, this was bottle conditioned. Unfortunately, I have yet to switch to kegging.....hopefully this year......

Offline Brewtopalonian

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 08:06:00 pm »

OG = 1.070
FG = 1.022

I agree, body should be better than it is currently being perceived, that is why I asked the question. Something just doesn't seem right.

Also, this was bottle conditioned. Unfortunately, I have yet to switch to kegging.....hopefully this year......
Are you still use the tried and true 1oz. Dextrose per gallon?  That will give a higher carbonation profile than you would typically want in a stout.  Ideally, serve this in a keg on nitro.  I've noticed a big difference since switching to beer gas.

Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 08:13:47 pm »

OG = 1.070
FG = 1.022

^^^Exactly what I was thinking. Respectfully, another possible reason for why you think the body is thin: your palate. The beer's numbers and ingredients suggest that it should be full of body and fullness, provided the carbonation is reasonable. Did you get a second and third opinion on the beer? Based on the recipe, there's not much more you can do to increase the body. You could add a little wheat malt, but if you didn't get body from the recipe in its current form, you likely won't detect any more body from adding wheat.