Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ale yeast for a lager  (Read 2966 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Ale yeast for a lager
« on: January 06, 2019, 10:54:07 pm »
Planning on brewing a “lager” but don’t yet have the ability to ferment below 60.  Anyone know an ale yeast that tastes close to a crisp lager.

Thanks
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline swampale

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Ale yeast for a lager
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 04:57:40 am »
There are a few of them. WLP029 is a Kolsch yeast. 2565 from Wyeast is another Kolsch yeast. Wyeast 2112 Cal lager is another one. WLP810 also.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Ale yeast for a lager
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 05:18:19 am »
I like wlp001 for faux lagers.  Very clean and crisp. Keep it as cool as you can 60-62F is great. It doesn’t taste exactly like a lager but it is very close.  I personally think it’s better than Kolsch yeast because Kolsch yeast tastes like Kolsch ;)

PS. Do not try this with US-05. It is NOT the same as wlp001. US-05 imparts a very noticeable peach ester in light lager grain bills.

PS. lager to me is Helles/Dort. If your making something with dark Malts or lots of hops, the Kolsch flavor may be masked by those flavors. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 05:21:04 am by tommymorris »

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 06:11:04 am »
S-189, 1007, and 2565 are your best bets IMO.  I haven't used K-97 yet but it's next on my list to try.  I did use S-189 lager yeast in the 60s not long ago and it turned out great.  Won me a silver medal in a BJCP competition.  Looked up my notes..... 64 F to be precise.

FYI, genetically speaking, WLP029 isn't a German yeast at all.  It's a very clean British ale yeast, closely related to WLP002 & WLP007.  But it's a decent option.

I agree with tommymorris about US-05 not being the same as standard Chico 1056/WLP001.  It's not the same, and it does produce the peach when cold.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 06:17:43 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 06:16:29 am »
wlp810 San Francisco lager yeast will work. Temperature range from 58 to 65.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 06:22:36 am »
Fermentis W-34/70 remains clean and crisp at moderate ale fermentation temperatures.

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 07:42:14 am »

FYI, genetically speaking, WLP029 isn't a German yeast at all.  It's a very clean British ale yeast, closely related to WLP002 & WLP007.  But it's a decent option.
Dave, OT, but... I haven't spotted WLP029 on suregork's trees.  Where did you find this?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 08:27:07 am »
I'm gonna jump in here and say don't use 2565 for a lager.  It has a distinctive windy flavor that's great for kitsch and totally out of place in other styles.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 08:45:05 am »

Dave, OT, but... I haven't spotted WLP029 on suregork's trees.  Where did you find this?

Hidden in the little comment details on suregork's page.  Comment from qq dated 5/9/18, almost all the way down the page at:

http://beer.suregork.com/?p=4000

qq provides a link to a smaller study that shows the relationship:

https://www.biorxiv.org/sites/all/libraries/pdfjs/web/viewer.html?file=/content/biorxiv/early/2017/09/27/194969.full.pdf#page=29
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 08:50:04 am »

Hidden in the little comment details on suregork's page.  Comment from qq dated 5/9/18, almost all the way down the page at:

http://beer.suregork.com/?p=4000

qq provides a link to a smaller study that shows the relationship:

https://www.biorxiv.org/sites/all/libraries/pdfjs/web/viewer.html?file=/content/biorxiv/early/2017/09/27/194969.full.pdf#page=29
Cheers!

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 09:44:56 am »
Fermentis W-34/70 remains clean and crisp at moderate ale fermentation temperatures.

If you can ferment in the mid to low 60s I would recommend this approach.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 11:01:37 am »
Wyeast pacman yeast made me a pretty good faux pilsner a while back fermented at 72.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 11:39:07 pm »
So I looked into WLP810 after reading responses.  Lager yeast that is happy up to 65 degrees.  Anyone have experience with it?  Taste profile?  I could definitely kee it at 60-62.
Thanks.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 11:34:25 am »
So I looked into WLP810 after reading responses.  Lager yeast that is happy up to 65 degrees.  Anyone have experience with it?  Taste profile?  I could definitely kee it at 60-62.
Thanks.

WLP810 makes good beer.  I've only used it twice so I don't have strong opinions but it's good.  However I still prefer very much the 1007 which is simply excellent.
Dave

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 12:01:45 pm »
Thanks.

WLP810 makes good beer.  I've only used it twice so I don't have strong opinions but it's good.  However I still prefer very much the 1007 which is simply excellent.

Very much agreed.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell