Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Probably a dumb question re: kegging equipment and a leak  (Read 3323 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Probably a dumb question re: kegging equipment and a leak
« on: January 09, 2019, 02:23:17 pm »
There is a black o-ring on my CO2 regulator where it connects to the CO2 tank. The CO2 tank at the same connector has an indention for where the washer meets the tank. Should there be a second o-ring or washer on the tank or just the one on the regulator?

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 02:25:08 pm by reverseapachemaster »
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Probably a dumb question re: kegging equipment and a leak
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 02:25:19 pm »
yeah, there should be a white nylon washer between those 2.  Every time I get a tank refilled, they give me a new one.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 03:16:50 pm »
Huh.   I just have the white nylon washer, no rubber o-ring.  I've had several Taprite regulators over the years, same.  Does this vary from brand to brand?  (I've never had a leak.)  (And nobody ever just gave me a washer, have to buy them.  The perks of being Denny.  ;)  )

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 08:01:33 pm »
I think it varies from brand to brand - I have a couple that have fixed nylon gaskets on the stem that seats onto the face of the threaded part of the valve, but others that require a gasket to be added on.  Another pointer told to me by the gas vendors - do not use Teflon tape on the threads, as it can cause leaks!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 07:13:04 am »
I think it varies from brand to brand - I have a couple that have fixed nylon gaskets on the stem that seats onto the face of the threaded part of the valve, but others that require a gasket to be added on.  Another pointer told to me by the gas vendors - do not use Teflon tape on the threads, as it can cause leaks!

And it is a mess to get off of the threads!

My regulators also just have a white nylon washer to seal the connections.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 06:52:19 am »
I have never seen a situation where two “O” rings are used at the same time and face-to-face with another “O” ring.  I have also never seen a situation where an additional gasket is used in between two apposing “O” rings.

One “O” ring should be sufficient to seal that fitting providing the fitting was intended to be sealed with an “O” ring.  My regulator has an indent as if to use an “O” ring, but instead, uses a very hard fiber gasket intended for “one time use”.  Break the seal, and toss the gasket.

Edit:  Check to see if the two indents are exactly the same size.  If they are, one ring should be sufficient.  However, I might be mistaken, but it appears as if the two indents are different sizes.  If that’s the case, you may have to replace the tail piece in your regulator.  However, highly unlikely.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 07:03:00 am by KellerBrauer »
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 07:09:10 am »
The nylon washer with the Taprite matches a groove on the regulator and another on the tank.  The only time I replace them is when they fall out during changing tanks and roll away under the washing machine or somewhere else I just can't reach.  Everything I drop seems to roll somewhere I can't reach anymore.   So I keep spares of all the tiny stuff.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 09:25:03 am »
I get a hard fiber washer with my refills, too.  It's greyish.  I don't always use it.  I have two different regulators and my recollection, without checking them, is that one needs it and one does not.  If your regulator has a rubber washer, I think that's all you need for a good connection.

You shouldn't need two washers and it could potentially cause a leak if you used two.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 09:35:08 am »
Both my regulators have the "built-in" washer and I've never used any additional washers when connecting them. 

Conversations like this made doubt my configuration when I first started kegging, but it works so I don't sweat it anymore.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 11:15:28 am »
It varies, but from what I can tell from the pictures you posted, you shouldn't need a second o-ring or washer (my new regulator is the same configuration as yours). 

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Slackjawls

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 11:21:19 pm »
You only need the o ring on the inlet nipple. IMO it is more reliable and easier to use than fiber or plastic washers. If you over tighten you can tear it. You can order extras from tap rite or Micromatic.