Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A Better Siphon  (Read 6410 times)

Offline skynyrd

• 1st Kit
A Better Siphon
« on: August 15, 2010, 02:50:18 am »

OK folks, I've found it. Will try it out again today. So far, I like it. Why havn't I heard of it before? Its the "Hopkins Siphon" Just dip the end of the tubing with the metal end attached, into the beer and shake it up and down a few times and there it goes. It takes off and siphons fast, quick and Easy! with nothing to break!  I found it at the link below.  You only need 1 but, you have to buy 3 of them, 19.95 + s/h.(unless you are a member)  Let me know what you think. BTW: the metal end is copper and it states that it is not for salt water or contaminating liquids. I can't see where contact with copper for a minute or 2 will harm my beer?

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/search/search.aspx?r=MainHeader+KW+Box&s=&a=browse&k=hopkins+siphon

Not to promote any buisness but to inform the home-brewing world of a better product.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: A Better Siphon
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 03:47:06 am »
I can't see where contact with copper for a minute or 2 will harm my beer?
I took a judging class run by Ted Hausotter, where one of the samples had a piece of copper soaked in it for something like 30 seconds, possibly as little as 10, I don't recall.  It was noticeably off, really bad.  Pre-fermentation I don't see a problem, but post-fermentation?  I wouldn't do it based on my experience.  I don't know if it's the low pH or the alcohol level or both, but it really messes up the beer.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline skynyrd

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 04:28:26 am »
Hummm....  ok,  was wondering about that.  May have to try some copper testing / tasting.  Thanks for the re!
Someone needs to make a stainless steel one of these!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 05:21:05 pm »
I love my auto siphon. Can't see why everyone doesn't have one.

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 05:53:34 pm »
I can't see where contact with copper for a minute or 2 will harm my beer?
I took a judging class run by Ted Hausotter, where one of the samples had a piece of copper soaked in it for something like 30 seconds, possibly as little as 10, I don't recall.  It was noticeably off, really bad.  Pre-fermentation I don't see a problem, but post-fermentation?  I wouldn't do it based on my experience.  I don't know if it's the low pH or the alcohol level or both, but it really messes up the beer.

Tell that to all the people with copper imersion chillers...Copper in trace ammounts, I have heard, benefits yeast health...

But the it begs the question, Beer vs. Wort...?

By the way, i saw this at a Garden and Home show in Denver and immediately thought about getting it. But I have the AutoSiphon and just defered the purchase.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 05:58:40 pm by rabid_dingo »
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 06:05:41 pm »
Copper in wort, different story altogether. The lower pH of beer can leach more elements from the copper.

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 06:12:30 pm »
Wort only then...
Ruben * Colorado :)

narvin

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 07:20:02 pm »

Because a stainless racking cane and a carboy cap are cheaper and easier to sanitize, store, and rack delicately off of the trub with?  ;)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 07:41:40 pm »
There are many ways to siphon. 
1. Fill the hose/cane with water/sanitizer and siphon.  Cane is optional - ask Gordon or look for a recent thread.
2. Use a sanitized piece of plastic cane material in the cane/hose assembly.  Exhale, suck on the plastic, stop the flow, remove plastic, and put the hose in receiving vessel.  The beer and hose never get close to your mouth. I learned this trick from Jeff Renner.
3. Use a different suction device like a sanitized turkey baster or vacuum pump to start the flow.
4.You can also push the beer with CO2 and the SS cane and Carboy cap.  A couple of GC memebers do this.  I am doing this now as there is no lifting involved, and you can keep the beer under CO2, including the receiving vessel if purged.
5. You can use a carboy cap on the receiving vessel and start the siphon with a vacuum on the receiving vessel.  I learned this from Mike O'Brien, who has posted on this forum.

There are always the threads on the internets about the autosiphon breaking or springing a leak.  Maybe that is why I have never bought one?

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 08:21:15 pm »
Yeah, I've broken a couple of auto-siphons and like my stainless racking cane and carboy cap.

Tell that to all the people with copper imersion chillers...Copper in trace ammounts, I have heard, benefits yeast health...
Yeah, as mentioned above, wort only.  I use a copper counter-flow chiller with no problems.  And yes, you need trace amounts of copper for yeast health, it's an important co-factor in several important enzymatic reactions.  But keep copper away from your beer.  Just try it yourself, take a small section of copper pipe and dunk it in a beer for a minute.  You'll notice the difference.  Do it for less time too . . .
Tom Schmidlin

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 08:27:26 pm »

Because a stainless racking cane and a carboy cap are cheaper and easier to sanitize, store, and rack delicately off of the trub with?  ;)

Well, that's a good point. I just broke my auto siphon today... again. But I'll probably just get another one. Because, really. It's just easier for me. And I don't own a carboy cap. And then, how does the cap work with buckets?? ;)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 08:33:09 pm »
The auto-siphon is one of my favorite beer gadgets.  It's easy to use and clean and never failed me...yet.  ;)

Keeping fingers and toes crossed.
Ron Price

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 08:36:10 pm »
a leaking autosiphon will really improve your really big malty beers,  BW, Wee Heavy, Bocks, etc.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 08:37:38 pm »
I just never had one that leaked .... as long as I used a gear clamp. Must be the humidity.  ;)

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 07:09:22 am »
I broke my autosiphon by putting it together dry.  After that, it wouldn't pull liquid up the tube to start the siphon.  It was the smaller one, 5/16" I believe.

I replaced it with the 1/2" Autosiphon and what a difference.  Man does it transfer fast!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 07:13:27 am by theDarkSide »
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------