Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: US-05 Startup Time  (Read 3989 times)

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
US-05 Startup Time
« on: August 16, 2010, 06:44:19 am »
This is only the second time I have used dry yeast.  What startup times have you all been recording for US-05?  Wort at 62deg, 1.051 SG, sprinkle method, wait 2 hours for yeast to settle, then oxygen with sintered stone for 2 minutes.

Thanks;
Dave
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
Re: US-05 Startup Time
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 06:46:17 am »
Around 24 hours for anything we would recognize as activity
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 07:10:25 am »
+1

This yeast behaves pretty consistently.  In my experience it also finishes fairly quickly.
Ron Price

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 07:53:07 am »
This is only the second time I have used dry yeast.  What startup times have you all been recording for US-05?  Wort at 62deg, 1.051 SG, sprinkle method, wait 2 hours for yeast to settle, then oxygen with sintered stone for 2 minutes.

Thanks;
Dave

never heard of oxygenating AFTER pitching yeast.  I've always done before - what was the reasoning there?

18-30 hours is a good range to expect.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 08:21:04 am »
never heard of oxygenating AFTER pitching yeast.  I've always done before - what was the reasoning there?

I have just ALWAYS done it that way.  I guess someone told me that it helps mix up the (liquid) yeast.  And that's when I started was using air and an aquarium stone. (About 60 batches ago)  I've been using O2 for a couple of years, just for the time savings.

Dave
Dave Koenig

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 08:26:02 am »
I just brewed a batch with US-05... Took 12-24 hours to start.  By 36 it had a thick layer of yeast on top.  A week later, still a large layer of yeast, but at terminal gravity.  Chilled to 40, and the yeast have settled out after three days. 

I am now ready to rack, but I am waiting on a regulator for my keg system. 

Good luck
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 08:46:52 am »
Is US-05=WY1056=WLP001?  Origins seem to be the same but the characteristics are described differently.

Dave
Dave Koenig

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 08:48:03 am »
Is US-05=WY1056=WLP001?  Origins seem to be the same but the characteristics are described differently.

Dave

Yes that is my understanding.
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 09:57:00 am »

Dave

Although the origins are the same, there are some difference that have developed between them over the years.  But they're really close.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 11:41:38 am »

Dave

Although the origins are the same, there are some difference that have developed between them over the years.  But they're really close.
I just brewed an APA with US-05 in one carboy and WY1056 in the other.  I can't tell a difference between them, but the flavor differences may be covered up by the hops.  They finished within 1 point of each other with a basic wide range hydrometer.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 06:03:09 pm »

I have just ALWAYS done it that way.  I guess someone told me that it helps mix up the (liquid) yeast.  And that's when I started was using air and an aquarium stone. (About 60 batches ago)  I've been using O2 for a couple of years, just for the time savings.

Dave

I've always done it that way too...before AND after, actually.  For the first day I shake the hell out of the fermenter a few times over the course of the day.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 07:49:42 pm »

Dave

I've always done it that way too...before AND after, actually.  For the first day I shake the hell out of the fermenter a few times over the course of the day.

I've always aerated before pitching, but it's definitely done both ways.  Some yeast manufacturers recommend aerating with pure O2 through an aeration stone right after pitching the yeast.  IMHO, It really shouldn't make much of a difference aerating before or after pitching at this stage of the game.
Ron Price

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 10:46:43 pm »
As long as the temp and atmospheric pressure stays the same before or after shouldn't matter much. Saturated is just that.

This is science as Tubercle understands it.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 05:44:41 am »
I've heard oxygen can damage yeast cell wall membranes if there is too much O2 in solution. I think it would be difficult to achieve that if you oxygenated pre-pitch . .easier if you oxygenated post-pitch.
Just brew it...

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 08:06:45 am »
I did have a brain fart one time after I switched to O2.  I got distracted (no not drinking, I learned not to do that while brewing years ago) and left the O2 on for 35 minutes(foam coming out the top of the carboy).  The beer tasted a little off, but what I noticed was my house yeast, which usually drops clear, stayed very hazy.  Couldn't clear it up!  It's like I "burned" the yeast.  When I repitched the yeast (aerating properly) it did the same thing.
Dave Koenig