Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Porter/Stout  (Read 4193 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Porter/Stout
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2019, 07:42:42 am »
There is Roasted Barley, and Black Roasted Barley.
Which one for a Stout ?

Thanks

Roasted barley
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2019, 07:54:21 am »
Don't forget stout MUST have roast barley. 😉

Absotively

In an article about Courage/Barclay Perkins Imperial Stout in 1920, Ron Pattinson says of the ingredients used... "Barclay Perkins did seem to fairly randomly swap between black malt and roasted barley." So it appears that not always did Stout have roasted barley. Don't forget England's free mash tun act of 1830. It would have been illegal for brewers to use anything unmalted up to that point.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2019, 09:59:51 am »
Don't forget stout MUST have roast barley. 😉

Absotively

In an article about Courage/Barclay Perkins Imperial Stout in 1920, Ron Pattinson says of the ingredients used... "Barclay Perkins did seem to fairly randomly swap between black malt and roasted barley." So it appears that not always did Stout have roasted barley. Don't forget England's free mash tun act of 1830. It would have been illegal for brewers to use anything unmalted up to that point.

Good point, but I don't make or drink historical British beers, so I guess I don't think in those terms.  I was speaking in a contemporary context, since that's what I assumed we were talking about.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 10:25:02 am by denny »

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Fire Rooster

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2019, 03:28:36 am »
Which one for a Stout ?

Thanks

Roasted barley

Thank You, when would one use Black Roasted Barley ?
Thanks
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 03:38:44 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2019, 08:28:22 am »
Which one for a Stout ?

Thanks

Roasted barley

Thank You, when would one use Black Roasted Barley ?
Thanks

Unless it's the same as black patent, I haven't used it and can't really provide any info.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2019, 09:16:53 am »

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2019, 12:54:37 pm »
Which one for a Stout ?

Use half of each type.  300L and 500L

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2019, 01:16:46 pm »
Which one for a Stout ?

Use half of each type.  300L and 500L

Why?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2019, 01:32:39 pm »
Why?

Only because it's what I do, and it seems to work for me.  No other reason.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2019, 01:35:43 pm »
Why?

Only because it's what I do, and it seems to work for me.  No other reason.

Thanks.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2019, 06:23:47 am »
Obviously, there are a lot of different variations for Porter.  I like the robust version as opposed to brown Porter as I am not really fond of the flavor character imparted by brown malt.
I use a bit of black patent in mine and  chocolate malt (sometimes chocolate rye).
You can predict the mash pH with BeerSmith or more accurately with Bru'n Water if you know the mineral content of your water source or if you use RO water.  If the predicted pH looks too low, you can keep some or all of the dark grains out and add them at mash out since they have no fermentables in them.  I do that with my R.I.S. and it works well.  Just stir them in at mash out and vorlauf until the color is right

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2019, 08:34:26 am »
I have had some issues with pushing all dark grains to the vorlauf, because I typically use acidulated malt in the pale portion of the grist to get the pH at about 5.4 or 5.5 as a guesstimate for ending in a reasonable range after the late dark malt addition....  The occasional result is a slight twangish acidic note.  How do you calculate  for the late add dropping the pH further?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2019, 08:34:36 am »
I have had some issues with pushing all dark grains to the vorlauf, because I typically use acidulated malt in the pale portion of the grist to get the pH at about 5.4 or 5.5 as a guesstimate for ending in a reasonable range after the late dark malt addition....  The occasional result is a slight twangish acidic note.  How do you calculate  for the late add dropping the pH further?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2019, 06:29:02 am »
I only worry about pH during the saccrification rest.  This is where it is the most important. The dark grains are added once conversion is complete, that is during mash out.  This is something Gordon Strong has mentioned in his books and at his lectures at Homebrew Con.
My measured RIS pH is around 5.5 without the dark grains.  Bru'n Water predicts around 5.0 - 5.1 if I mash everything together, which is way too low.  I never noticed a "tang" doing it this way and never need to add acidulated malt.

Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2019, 08:22:16 am »
I only worry about pH during the saccrification rest.  This is where it is the most important. The dark grains are added once conversion is complete, that is during mash out.  This is something Gordon Strong has mentioned in his books and at his lectures at Homebrew Con.
My measured RIS pH is around 5.5 without the dark grains.  Bru'n Water predicts around 5.0 - 5.1 if I mash everything together, which is way too low.  I never noticed a "tang" doing it this way and never need to add acidulated malt.

I don't care for the flavor effects from adding dark grains late.  I'd rather put them in the mash and adjust the pH for them.

www.dennybrew.com