Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Malt barley variety question  (Read 2093 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Malt barley variety question
« on: February 25, 2020, 05:29:36 am »
This was a question texted to
Me from a friend.

“Do you know much about barley varieties? I’m trying to find Pils malt made from either Hanna or Chevallier barley for a Michelob 1896 recreation. The only Chevallier I see is from Crisp and is too highly kilned. I think my best bet is find barley that was bred from Hanna, but I’m kind of striking out”

He has emailed Ron Patterson but I told him I’d ask the forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 08:20:45 am by majorvices »

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Malt barley variety question
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 05:44:31 am »
Agriculture department in his home state should be able too point him in the right direction.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 05:51:13 am »
Agriculture department in his home state should be able too point him in the right direction.

I'll mention that to him but I doubt it since he is in Az

Offline oginme

• Assistant Brewer
    • My Farm
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 06:11:34 am »
Both the universities of Oregon and Montana both have active breeding programs for barley.  You will most likely get a good answer from those sources as to where you might find specific barley varieties if they are still being grown and malted commercially.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 07:50:57 am »
He talked about this on another forum.

He should research what varieties have Hanna as an ancestor. IIRC there are some with similar names such as Hannka, or something like that.

Chevalier is grown on limited acreage, as the yield is low.
He should see if Crisp would make some low color malt out of it.

Ron Pattinson is presenting at HomebrewCon. Conversations with him are memorable!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 08:03:11 am »
Both the universities of Oregon and Montana both have active breeding programs for barley.  You will most likely get a good answer from those sources as to where you might find specific barley varieties if they are still being grown and malted commercially.

Oregon State, not U of O.  I think someone around here might use Chevalier.  I'll see what I can find out.  You might also try contacting the Craft Maltsters Guild.  Craftmalting.com
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline oginme

• Assistant Brewer
    • My Farm
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 08:42:35 am »

Oregon State, not U of O.  I think someone around here might use Chevalier.  I'll see what I can find out.  You might also try contacting the Craft Maltsters Guild.  Craftmalting.com

Thanks for the correction!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 08:55:16 am »
He might contact John Mallett.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 10:36:23 am »
In the UK, Crisp has been taking the lead on resurrecting old barley varieties - there's now a reasonable amount of Chevallier being produced, and last year they produced 14t of Hana which has made some delicious commercial beers so I suspect they'll be doing more of it. I'm not sure how much made it into the homebrew supply chain, other than the tonne that went to the Malt Miller (no affiliation).

But it may be worth asking any retailers who deal with Crisp Stateside whether they can get their hands on any.

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 10:41:12 am »

I think it's Montana State as well.  http://www.montana.edu/barleybreeding/2019-barley-variety-release.html

Thanks for the correction!
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2020, 11:35:34 am »
In the UK, Crisp has been taking the lead on resurrecting old barley varieties - there's now a reasonable amount of Chevallier being produced, and last year they produced 14t of Hana which has made some delicious commercial beers so I suspect they'll be doing more of it. I'm not sure how much made it into the homebrew supply chain, other than the tonne that went to the Malt Miller (no affiliation).

But it may be worth asking any retailers who deal with Crisp Stateside whether they can get their hands on any.
Hop Craft supply has it at $1.79 a pound.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2020, 05:40:46 pm »

Thanks! He's a commercial brewer so he may be able to get some

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2020, 09:02:43 pm »

Thanks, Steve!  I didn't know anyone had the Crisp Chevallier by the pound, I've only ordered it by the sack through LHBS.  I don't often make ales (not often enough to really justify a whole sack,)  but when I do make a bitter or mild, that's the malt I prefer.   This is great to know.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2020, 08:28:10 am »

Thanks, Steve!  I didn't know anyone had the Crisp Chevallier by the pound, I've only ordered it by the sack through LHBS.  I don't often make ales (not often enough to really justify a whole sack,)  but when I do make a bitter or mild, that's the malt I prefer.   This is great to know.

Hop Craft is local to me and the owners Mike and Brandon couldn't be any better to their customers and the homebrewing community in the area. I get all of my supplies from them. https://www.hopcraftsupply.com/
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline brian_welch

• Cellarman
  • Holden MA
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2020, 08:29:19 am »
He talked about this on another forum.

He should research what varieties have Hanna as an ancestor. IIRC there are some with similar names such as Hannka, or something like that.

From the Weyermann website:

Weyermann® Bohemian Pilsner Malt, for example, is produced only from the Hanka barley variety, while the Weyermann® floor-malted Bohemian Pilsner Malt is produced only from Bojos or Tolar. These three varieties have great authenticity value because they are genetic descendants of the mid-19th-century Czech variety Haná, which also known as "Old-Haná Agro-Ecotype.” Haná was the barley in the first Pilsner mash, in 1842, and it has since become the foundation land race for hundreds of top-quality brewing barley varieties cultivated throughout the world today.

Brian Welch
WIZARDS (Worcester Incorporated Zymurgists Advancing Real Draughts)

ON TAP:
Hefeweizen
West Coast Pils
German Pils
Altbier

ON DECK:
English Bitter
Dark Mild