Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lallemand London ESB Yeast  (Read 3335 times)

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
Lallemand London ESB Yeast
« on: April 09, 2020, 08:28:14 am »
I am going to brew an ESB soon since being stuck at home is a good reason to brew.  Has anyone tried the Lallemand London ESB yeast?  I usually use WLP-002 in this beer because I like the flavor profile, but I have had a package of the London ESB sitting around for a while and was wondering if I should try it?

Since I have never used it, any insight would be useful.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Lallemand London ESB Yeast
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 08:49:55 am »
I am going to brew an ESB soon since being stuck at home is a good reason to brew.  Has anyone tried the Lallemand London ESB yeast?  I usually use WLP-002 in this beer because I like the flavor profile, but I have had a package of the London ESB sitting around for a while and was wondering if I should try it?

I have used it on an ESB. I think it tastes similar to WLP002.

The main gotcha is the yeast doesn’t ferment maltose. So, the final gravity is high. I used 5% table sugar by weight to dry it out. My beer wasn’t sweet at all. But, my FG was 1020 which shocked me. Apparently, humans can’t taste the maltose so the high gravity wasn’t a problem. The finish was definitely not crisp. But not sweet either.

The other thing to know is the yeast doesn’t flocculate well. Mine was super cloudy. But, I used gelatin and it ended up crystal clear.

Long story short, I loved that beer and recently bought a second pack of the yeast.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 10:06:17 am »

The main gotcha is the yeast doesn’t ferment maltose. So, the final gravity is high. I used 5% table sugar by weight to dry it out. My beer wasn’t sweet at all. But, my FG was 1020 which shocked me. Apparently, humans can’t taste the maltose so the high gravity wasn’t a problem. The finish was definitely not crisp. But not sweet either.

The other thing to know is the yeast doesn’t flocculate well. Mine was super cloudy. But, I used gelatin and it ended up crystal clear.

Long story short, I loved that beer and recently bought a second pack of the yeast.

It doesn't Ferment maltotriose. Maltose makes up the majority of the wort we produce.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 10:07:20 am »

It doesn't Ferment maltotriose. Maltose makes up the majority of the wort we produce.
Whoops. Thanks!

Offline coonmanxdog

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 10:35:41 am »
Yup. Same as Munton's regular yeast that also does not ferment maltotriose...

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 11:35:34 am »
The bitter I used it on went from 1.040 to 1.012.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 01:22:52 pm »
   I just tried it in my ESB, was hoping for something a bit more expressive than the other yeasts I've tried in the ESB. I just bottled it Friday so I haven't tasted it carbonated yet, but from the samples I tasted I'm pretty disappointed, seems to be totally lacking in yeast derived flavors. As Tommy said it doesn't floc worth a damn, but gelatin did help. I hope it'll be tastier once carbonated, but I have a feeling my search for the ideal dry yeast for my ESB will go on. If I could count on liquid yeast getting here even semi alive there are lots of good options, but ordering liquid here is a long odds gamble that just isn't worth taking.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 07:03:31 am »
General consensus seems to be that it's a less interesting version of Windsor - which would make it a bit pointless for British style beers where you're looking for a significant flavour contribution from yeast. But then plenty of people seem happy with WLP002 and that's pretty boring by British standards.

I've not used it but if it's like Windsor then it will drop well but not flocc, so it will puff up at the slightest disturbance - adding a bit of a good-floccing yeast like Nottingham at high krausen will help stick it down.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2020, 09:59:01 am »
 I let my impatience win and popped a couple of this beer last night, turns out the carb level was good and the taste splendid, but not significantly different than the same recipe brewed with other yeasts. Sadly, in a couple weeks it will just be another okay beer, guess I'd better drink 'em fast. FWIW, the sediment was more solid than most of my brews, apparently the gelatin helped more than I had thought.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2020, 10:19:51 am »
I let my impatience win and popped a couple of this beer last night, turns out the carb level was good and the taste splendid, but not significantly different than the same recipe brewed with other yeasts. Sadly, in a couple weeks it will just be another okay beer, guess I'd better drink 'em fast. FWIW, the sediment was more solid than most of my brews, apparently the gelatin helped more than I had thought.
What happens over a couple of weeks to make the beer go from splendid to just okay?

Offline coonmanxdog

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2020, 11:07:43 am »
You have a tough job ahead of you. LOL.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2020, 04:29:16 pm »
General consensus seems to be that it's a less interesting version of Windsor - which would make it a bit pointless for British style beers where you're looking for a significant flavour contribution from yeast. But then plenty of people seem happy with WLP002 and that's pretty boring by British standards.

I've not used it but if it's like Windsor then it will drop well but not flocc, so it will puff up at the slightest disturbance - adding a bit of a good-floccing yeast like Nottingham at high krausen will help stick it down.

What expressive British yeast do you recommend?

I have some Chevallier malt, and invert #3. Guidance is appreciated.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2020, 08:44:24 am »
Mmm, this is disappointing because I like my British styles and considered this yeast.  I was on Ritebrew the other day and saw it but it was out of stock.  I have tried a bunch of liquid UK yeasts... 1968, 1098, 1099, 1028, 1318, 1469, 1728.  The words London ESB says 1968 to me because that's what Wyeast calls it and it's a delicious strain with lots of bready and minerally properties.  Next time I have a craving for an ESB I will probably order 1968 and forget the Lallemand version especially if it's boring. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2020, 10:40:41 am »
What happens over a couple of weeks to make the beer go from splendid to just okay?

That's the $64,000 question in my home brewery. I wish I had the answer, but almost all my beers lose 50% or more of their greatness within a couple weeks of the time they are first ready to drink. I don't do the full low DO brewing thing but do try hard to keep HSA and O2 pickup after pitching to a minimum. Obviously my process has some serious flaws, haven't figured out yet what they are. Surprisingly the one beer I brew regularly that shows the least effects of staling is my Chile Lager which is a standard American lager with chile's, OG ~1,047 and FG 1.004.
   Back to the OP, the ESB I just did with the Lallemand London ESB only managed 64% AA, almost 10 percentage points lower than any of the other yeast types I've used with the same recipe.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 10:44:22 am by Visor »

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2020, 10:41:41 am »
You have a tough job ahead of you. LOL.

Yup, it's a tough life, but somebody's gotta live it.