Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anyone else never take gravity readings?  (Read 4278 times)

Fire Rooster

Re: Anyone else never take gravity readings?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2020, 09:54:52 am »
All batches are fermented (primary-only) for 4 weeks in a cool basement (50's).
I figure at 4 weeks everything is done and maturing. Beer goes from fermentor straight into bottle.
My beers are not less than 4 ABV or more than 6 ABV, according
to myself and others.  May check one day to see for sure.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 10:17:02 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2020, 11:06:58 am »
I brew 2.5 gallon batches, so I consider any 8oz hydrometer samples I pull for gravity readings very dear.

I always take Post Mash/Pre Boil gravity readings.  These samples are added back to the pre-boil wort.
I always take post boil gravity readings.  These samples are tasted and dumped.
After 12-14 days of primary fermentation, I package (keg) and take one FG reading for yeast performance notes.

It is fair to ask - given only one post fermentation measurement - how I know I'm actually taking a "Final" gravity reading.  Honestly, I couldn't say with 100% confidence.  I watch fermentation as best I can: when it starts, when it hits krausen, when that krausen falls, when it peters out...etc.

But, for me, any contamination risk and beer volume lost far, far outweighs the benefits of opening my fermenter and pulling multiple samples to ensure 100% FG certainty.  And, no, I won't be purchasing a refractometer any time soon.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Anyone else never take gravity readings?
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2020, 11:12:57 am »
I have brewed many batches without gravity readings. With a clear fermenter and experience you know when fermentation is complete.

That said, I usually take gravity readings. OG helps me build a predictable efficiency model for recipe development. FG is nice to know in case I want to try to change it on the next batch (different mash profile or change yeast). Plus, one of the most common questions I get from people drinking my beer is ‘How much alcohol is in it?’ It’s nice to have an answer.

I use a Tilt. I also sanitize my hydrometer and drop it straight in the fermenter (when the Tilt’s battery is dead or to double check the Tilt). I don’t want to waste my precious 2.5 gallons of beer either.

Offline coonmanxdog

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2020, 12:00:15 pm »
I have brewed many batches without gravity readings. With a clear fermenter and experience you know when fermentation is complete.

That said, I usually take gravity readings. OG helps me build a predictable efficiency model for recipe development. FG is nice to know in case I want to try to change it on the next batch (different mash profile or change yeast). Plus, one of the most common questions I get from people drinking my beer is ‘How much alcohol is in it?’ It’s nice to have an answer.

I use a Tilt. I also sanitize my hydrometer and drop it straight in the fermenter (when the Tilt’s battery is dead or to double check the Tilt). I don’t want to waste my precious 2.5 gallons of beer either.

Just watched a video about the Tilt hydrometer. Wow, we have come a long ways. That is pretty cool.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2020, 12:48:28 pm »

Just watched a video about the Tilt hydrometer. Wow, we have come a long ways. That is pretty cool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big Monk

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2020, 12:57:35 pm »
I'd honestly be more inclined to skip a pH reading altogether then to skip gravity readings. Especially with a refractometer. It's so easy and requires so little wort. I care very highly about gravity and tracking it across the mash.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2020, 01:20:48 pm »
I'd honestly be more inclined to skip a pH reading altogether then to skip gravity readings. Especially with a refractometer. It's so easy and requires so little wort. I care very highly about gravity and tracking it across the mash.

I'm with you.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Die Beerery

• Cellarman
  • Stuff and Things
    • Low Oxygen Brewing
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2020, 02:01:59 pm »
And at the far end of the other spectrum , I sit.

https://youtu.be/rJyrvUxkhls
The Beerery-Simply, Made, Perfect. Professional Brewing Consultant.
Head Brewer at The Beerery And Other Undisclosed Locations.
Some of my Mindless Brewing Ramblings
Youtube Channel

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2020, 02:21:27 pm »

I was thinking the same thing...that's what makes homebrewing great.  The right way is whatever each of us says it is for us.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2020, 04:50:08 pm »
I begin a brew with certain expectations: Color, ABV, IBU, body Mouthfeel, etc. At every point, I want to know how closely I am reaching those expectations, or not. I am not a perfectionist; if I am off a bit, it doesn't bother me because I know that small variations are, well, small. But if I am way off on anything, I want to know, so that I can adjust accordingly. When I plan a brew, I want the beer to be very close to what I planned. The expectation and the anticipation is what I love about this hobby! It is all about how good the particular recipe is going to be down the line, one or two or three months in the future.

That's why I measure.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2020, 08:21:11 pm »

That was the most tedious, boring and least informative product review I have ever seen.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Die Beerery

• Cellarman
  • Stuff and Things
    • Low Oxygen Brewing
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2020, 08:59:47 pm »

That was the most tedious, boring and least informative product review I have ever seen.
Good deal, as it wasn’t  a product review. Simply a tool I use in my brewery and the reasoning for how and why. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Beerery-Simply, Made, Perfect. Professional Brewing Consultant.
Head Brewer at The Beerery And Other Undisclosed Locations.
Some of my Mindless Brewing Ramblings
Youtube Channel

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2020, 10:52:34 pm »
Good deal, as it wasn’t  a product review. Simply a tool I use in my brewery and the reasoning for how and why. 
In that case it could have been covered in 1-2 minutes instead of 11 minutes. I was also looking for some information on the physical principles on which the unit works, but there was no such technical information to tell me why this is better than a refractometer or hydrometer. The message I got was "I have enough money to spend on this expensive toy, don't you wish you did, too?"
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 10:58:36 pm by Richard »
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Big Monk

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2020, 12:49:59 pm »
In that case it could have been covered in 1-2 minutes instead of 11 minutes. I was also looking for some information on the physical principles on which the unit works, but there was no such technical information to tell me why this is better than a refractometer or hydrometer. The message I got was "I have enough money to spend on this expensive toy, don't you wish you did, too?"

Again, you sound like you are describing, or were expecting a product review. You could have just stopped watching.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2020, 12:59:22 pm »
C'mon y'all... I suspect most of us are a little tense currently (or maybe it's just me...)

All y'all (and I'm including myself in the all) need to take a deep breath, enjoy that, and play nice.

And for the record - I think the Tilts and EasyDens are both really spiffy.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison