Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: boil vigor or duration  (Read 2017 times)

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
boil vigor or duration
« on: September 15, 2020, 09:59:33 am »
so when it comes to reducing DMS in finished beer what is more important the vigor of the boil or the duration? and a side question does modern day pils malts even need a 90 minute boil like we always heard you need? or is a 30 or 60 all that's needed these days?
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
Re: boil vigor or duration
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 10:03:12 am »
I do a 60 minute boil and get about 5% evaporation on 100% pils beers and have no DMS problems.

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 10:09:11 am »
thats great, im gonna do that next run cause my problem is my kettle is too wide and my boil off is too high lose alot of volume during a 90 min boil, im gonna try a less vigorous boil too for 60 mins cheers
Matty

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 11:53:24 am »
It's been shown that vigor is more important than length.  As a data point, I sometimes do a 20 min. boil...no DMS.  The type of malt amd how it's made also plays into that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 11:56:18 am »
whats if you are dealing with 100% pilsner malt? can you get away with a less vigorous boil for 60 mins?
Matty

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 11:58:18 am »
whats if you are dealing with 100% pilsner malt? can you get away with a less vigorous boil for 60 mins?
In my experience, yes. I use 100% Weyermann Pils and boil for 60 minutes and a mere 5% boil off and do not get DMS. I have the same experience with Rahr Pils as well. Cant speak to much on other types of pils.

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 11:59:55 am »
In my experience, yes. I use 100% Weyermann Pils and boil for 60 minutes and a mere 5% boil off and do not get DMS. I have the same experience with Rahr Pils as well. Cant speak to much on other types of pils.
cool, im about to take a leap of faith using viking pils
Matty

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 12:45:54 pm »

Yeah, probably so.  Again, it seems like SMM is lower in malts these days, so chances of DMS are less.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 05:32:58 am »
Well...call us crazy, but we do a 90 minute to 120 minute boil. The boiling is very vigorous, a healthy rolling boil.

Ireks malt is used exclusively, with very good results. And no DMS.

And this, from Beer and Brewing:

Consider replacing a portion of the pils malt with pale malt. Even the small amount of extra kilning gets rid of a great deal of SMM.
Stick to two-row barley malt unless you have a specific reason to use six-row (e.g., brewing an American adjunct lager or Pre-Prohibition Pilsner), as six-row’s higher protein content encourages SMM and DMS formation.

Extend your normal hour-long boil to 90 minutes. If you live at high elevation, where water boils at lower temperatures, you might even need a 2-hour boil.

Boil with vigor. Get a nice rolling boil, and don’t cover the pot until it’s cool.
Chill wort rapidly. The longer it stays hot, the more SMM is converted to DMS.
Consider selecting a different yeast strain, especially for lagers, that ferments with enough oomph to scrub DMS.
Be sanitary. This goes for every beer you make, but avoiding contamination is fairly simple and prevents DMS-producing bacteria from spoiling your efforts.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 07:20:00 am »
Martin Brungard had published an article in the May/June 2019 issue of Zymurgy that I found very enlightening.  It is available to AHA members in the archive edition.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2020, 08:38:45 am »

You can simmer for most of the boil, then more vigorous at the last 10 minutes.

Martin Brungard presented on boiling a couple of conferences ago. Look for it in the conference seminars Archive.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2020, 08:56:19 am »
Well...call us crazy, but we do a 90 minute to 120 minute boil. The boiling is very vigorous, a healthy rolling boil.

Consider replacing a portion of the pils malt with pale malt. Even the small amount of extra kilning gets rid of a great deal of SMM.
Stick to two-row barley malt unless you have a specific reason to use six-row (e.g., brewing an American adjunct lager or Pre-Prohibition Pilsner), as six-row’s higher protein content encourages SMM and DMS formation.

Extend your normal hour-long boil to 90 minutes. If you live at high elevation, where water boils at lower temperatures, you might even need a 2-hour boil.

Boil with vigor. Get a nice rolling boil, and don’t cover the pot until it’s cool.
Consider selecting a different yeast strain, especially for lagers, that ferments with enough oomph to scrub DMS.
Be sanitary. This goes for every beer you make, but avoiding contamination is fairly simple and prevents DMS-producing bacteria from spoiling your efforts.

Some of that info is not really valid these days.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 10:05:56 am »

as more boutique maltsters pop up and heirloom varieities are rediscovered, I wonder if DMS might make a reappearance.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2020, 10:09:44 am »

as more boutique maltsters pop up and heirloom varieities are rediscovered, I wonder if DMS might make a reappearance.

I've used a bunch is different craft malts....maybe 6-8 different maltsters and maybe 4-6 different malts from each. No DMS issues in any of them.

One of the things I was going issue with in that info was quick chilling.  I know for a fact that no chill works great if that's what people want to do.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2020, 07:50:02 pm »

ive never had DMS before, i used to do 75-90 min boils regularly. then 60, now i do about 45 mins. i believe i would definitely have been on the very vigourous side of boiling rather than simmering for all these years, but have started trying to tone that down to get more accurate post-boil volumes of wort.

I don't see any real advantage to 90 min boils. maybe a full 60 mins of roiling boil if its some all pilsner malt recipe.

historic brewing from the middle ages to 19th century often involved boiling for several hours, this might have been a way to increase FG and perception of sweetness. but imho its just so easy to use a malt like crystal or some darker malts if you want sweetness or darkened wort without the waste of time.