Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Long time reader, First time poster.  (Read 1505 times)

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
Long time reader, First time poster.
« on: October 13, 2020, 04:20:28 pm »
Had to get this off my chest.

Ran out of propane, then had a boil over and then it started to rain halfway through my boil for my bavarian hefeweizen.

First time using the no chill method aswell, Pitched my yeast starter into my very ugly but great smelling and sweet tasting wort. Let's see how she's goes.

What an evening.

Also thank y'all so much I have used this forum so many times for information and ease of mind. Glad to start contributing!!!

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
Re: Long time reader, First time poster.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 04:36:55 pm »
Hope so, color threw me way off it's almost greyish, 7 pounds of wheat .5 pound of rice hulls and 4 pounds of pilsner

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 04:42:44 pm »
Looks like it's getting that straw color back after a few hours

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 05:08:19 pm »
welcome, sorry about teh less than idea brew day. The more I brew the less they seem to happen

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 07:25:13 pm »
Thanks! It was a little discouraging but everything is bubbling away as we speak!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 10:25:13 pm »
Everybody has those stories with brewdays that went sideways. You can't win them all.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 08:23:51 am »
Oiscout - welcome! I long ago accepted that brew days often don't go precisely as planned. As they say, if it's not one thing it's something else. Yeah it can be pretty disheartening when things go as sideways as it sounds like yours did but odds are you'll still wind up with a beer you can get some enjoyment out of. Keep truckin'!
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 08:37:52 am »
One time I brewed outside in a blizzard. It was the third batch in a long day. For some crazy reason I remember it fondly.

Welcome!

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2020, 08:43:27 am »
Hahahaha! Thanks for sharing y'all I don't feel so bad now! I'll post pics of hefe when's it's ready

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 10:08:27 am »
One time I brewed outside in a blizzard. It was the third batch in a long day. For some crazy reason I remember it fondly.

Welcome!

I used to look for the coldest day of the year to brew outdoors. There is something about huddling around a boiling kettle of wort sipping a hot scotchie. My most memorable was right after a snow storm that dumped over a foot of fresh snow and then the next day the sun came out. It happened to be a Saturday which fit in perfect with my work schedule and even though it was barley 20F outside it was a great brew day. Age however along with artificial joints has put an end to such shenanigans.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2020, 11:05:02 am »
One time I made a batch of German pils.  It was chilled and just ready to go into the fermenter when I looked over and saw all the hop additione for the entire brew sitting on a table.  Thinking quickly, I added a gal.of water and brought it back to a boil, adding the hops at the appropriate time.  Made for a hell of a long brew day, but it worked.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HighVoltageMan!

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2020, 12:32:12 pm »
One time I made a batch of German pils.  It was chilled and just ready to go into the fermenter when I looked over and saw all the hop additione for the entire brew sitting on a table.  Thinking quickly, I added a gal.of water and brought it back to a boil, adding the hops at the appropriate time.  Made for a hell of a long brew day, but it worked.
I brewed an Oktoberfest a few years back for a friend of mine. He came over to "help". I got more distractions then help and I grabbed the hop addition from the freezer, ripped it open, tossed it in the boil. Then I looked at the package and realized I added Cascade hops to a German beer. I panicked at first, but then realized that I just have to shorten the boil to keep the bitterness in check. 6 weeks later at his party and no one was the wiser that the bittering addition was Cascade and not Hersbrucker, plus I got a bunch of compliments for the beer. Lesson learned, never panic. Everything is gonna be totally fine.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2020, 01:55:08 pm »
I brewed an Oktoberfest a few years back for a friend of mine. He came over to "help". I got more distractions then help and I grabbed the hop addition from the freezer, ripped it open, tossed it in the boil. Then I looked at the package and realized I added Cascade hops to a German beer. I panicked at first, but then realized that I just have to shorten the boil to keep the bitterness in check. 6 weeks later at his party and no one was the wiser that the bittering addition was Cascade and not Hersbrucker, plus I got a bunch of compliments for the beer. Lesson learned, never panic. Everything is gonna be totally fine.

This is going to sound very anti-social but I have learned my lesson on having people over for a brew session and that includes my wife. Too many questions and too many distractions equals a not so ideal brew day!!

Glad the Fest beer was a hit!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2020, 02:04:19 pm »

This is going to sound very anti-social but I have learned my lesson on having people over for a brew session and that includes my wife. Too many questions and too many distractions equals a not so ideal brew day!!

I agree.  I seldom have people over when I brew or drink when I brew.  If I do either of those, I just write off the beer to whatever happens.  The day is about the people in that case, not the beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2020, 02:26:51 pm »

I agree.  I seldom have people over when I brew or drink when I brew.  If I do either of those, I just write off the beer to whatever happens.  The day is about the people in that case, not the beer.
November 7th I'm going to teach my brother the basics, should be fun and interesting