Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Using a secondary  (Read 3271 times)

Offline MJK

• Cellarman
Re: Using a secondary
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2020, 07:09:17 pm »
I bottle so I use a secondary. Tried not racking and ended up with a few little turds in some bottles.
Best part is another excuse to have a beer (like I need one). Relax beer’ll be fine.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2020, 07:35:16 am »
It's unfortunate and probably even a little bit of a cruel twist that the best way to bottle is from a keg.

I do understand using a secondary to get a clearer beer for bottling and it definitely helps. It's just best if you can purge that secondary vessel with Co2 first if possible. At the very least be sure to minimize head space.

I've been meaning to try these: https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=122655

With this: https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=136411

If you can fill the bag while collapsed it should greatly reduce o2 pick up. I ordered a couple but I have been on a brewing hiatus until after Christmas but I do plan on try it then.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 07:46:09 am by majorvices »

Offline MJK

• Cellarman
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2020, 05:24:37 pm »
Well, when I rack (carefully) I add about 50g of sugar to get a bit of CO2 going. Don’t get a kreusen. Gets the airlock up with very slow bubbling and the beer ends up nice and clear. Seems to work.

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2020, 08:14:52 pm »
I have access to a DO meter I will see if I can do some tests later next year on how much o2 remains in an unpurged secondary after racking.

I would love to see the results of that test.  I have a sister who works in the lab at a hospital.  I remember asking her a while back if they had a DO meter she could "borrow" for a few days.  She said she wasn't aware of the lab having one.  Although that may have just been her way of politely declining.  :)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2020, 06:05:38 am »
I have access to a DO meter I will see if I can do some tests later next year on how much o2 remains in an unpurged secondary after racking.

I would love to see the results of that test.  I have a sister who works in the lab at a hospital.  I remember asking her a while back if they had a DO meter she could "borrow" for a few days.  She said she wasn't aware of the lab having one.  Although that may have just been her way of politely declining.  :)

It will be after March but I will do it - I'm curious as well. The only real problem is that it wastes a lot of beer to get an accurate reading. No big deal on a 60bbl batch but kinda painful on 5 gallon batch of slaved over homebrew, lol
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 06:07:17 am by majorvices »

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2020, 07:02:46 am »

It will be after March but I will do it - I'm curious as well. The only real problem is that it wastes a lot of beer to get an accurate reading. No big deal on a 60bbl batch but kinda painful on 5 gallon batch of slaved over homebrew, lol
Not sure what DO meter you have access to. CBOX does not use that much beer.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2020, 07:56:47 am »

Not sure what DO meter you have access to. CBOX does not use that much beer.

The Beverly by Hamilton. It's not that bad we use 2-3 cans to get a reading. Depends how fats you run it and how cold the beer is. $5K DO meter though so it's pretty accurate.