Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: EKG for lager beers  (Read 3685 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: EKG for lager beers
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2020, 09:14:19 am »
^I am a proponent of this ideology, the "wrong" hop in good condition usually gets me better results than the true to style hop that isnt in as good of shape. For this reason, I have quit using Saaz altogether, I just had too many instances of saaz being in poor condition.
I've used US goldings in lagers as a single addition for bittering . I boil very lightly, and I found that some earth and floral character still came through. It was a very pleasant beer and did not taste out of place.
Saaz is funny because it's already a mild and low-alpha hop, generally.  There were some people (here? another board?) where someone was placing a direct order with a hop farm in the Czech Republic.  You had to place an order in advance and I believe they were whole hops.  I'm sure they were excellent.  For the rest of us... getting good Saaz is tricky.  I think I would go to Yakima Valley as a plan B only because I always seem to get excellent hops from them.

I know I mentioned this but there was a Kolsch brewed by a craft brewery in Chicago and I had some of it on draft at a place where you can play bocce indoors.  The beer was good enough for me to contact the brewery and ask for the recipe.  The brewer answered and told me that the hops were Nugget to bitter and then Santiam later in the boil.  Unusual and untraditional?  Yes.  Great beer?  You bet.
I have been going through a pound of US Saaz from Hop Heaven this year. They have been great. I have been using them in CAP and it the best beer I make. Those hops are the secret ingredient.
Really?  US Saaz?  Huh.  I have tried some US Hallertau and Tettnanger and was not impressed.  Also, Hop Heaven is a bit of a mystery... does he GROW hops?  Does he buy hops in bulk and mix varieties to make new varieties?  If you tell me that his US Saaz are that good then I need to get some.  I actually need more Edelweiss so I would be ordering that as well.
The hard thing about the Internet is what tastes good to me may not taste good to you. Maybe I don’t know what I am talking about.

I like the flavor I am getting from the Saaz Hop Heaven sells. It certainly reminds me of the flavor I get from some nice commercial beers.

Here is the description from the Ebay site:

“Saaz hops are the classic lager hop.  One of the original "Nobel Hops".  These are grown in Oregon's Willamette valley and are beautiful.  They give the German beer flavor to your beer with herbal and spicy notes.  They can give very light lemon when used in larger amounts.  They are used in Pilsners, Bocks, Dunkels, Octoberfests, Wheats, Blonds, US Lagers, in fact they work in all lager styles. They are a signature hop for Bohemian Pilsners.”

Regarding who he (Hop Heaven) is: I believe he is a hop broker. He buys hops in bulk and resells. I have had great luck with Hop Heaven’s hops across many varieties.

Actually, he owns a company that makes water slides.  Hops started as a small hobby to service friends and has grown into a large hobby.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2020, 09:24:52 am »
Actually, he owns a company that makes water slides.  Hops started as a small hobby to service friends and has grown into a large hobby.
* rubs chin *

Mmm, I see a co-mingling of businesses where beer enthusiasts can go head-first down a slide of hops.  :D
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2020, 09:44:41 am »
Ted makes water slides?!?!?! I didnt think the guy could get any cooler, and then I learn this!

I had the pleasure of meeting him at NHC judging a couple years back. He's a very nice guy and a hell of a beer judge. I got to pick his brain about hops, he steered me towards a few varieties that have now become staples in my brewery.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2020, 10:33:30 am »
Ted makes water slides?!?!?! I didnt think the guy could get any cooler, and then I learn this!

I had the pleasure of meeting him at NHC judging a couple years back. He's a very nice guy and a hell of a beer judge. I got to pick his brain about hops, he steered me towards a few varieties that have now become staples in my brewery.
Care to share?  I'm liking this guy more and more. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2020, 10:54:15 am »

Aurora- a workhorse hop, respectable alphas so that it can be used as a bittering hop, a great aroma hop for lagers, belgian styles, even works in english beers. Refined aroma, slight grass, with a bright "hoppy" flavor. He said he doesnt sell alot of it, but the folks that order it absolutely insist on this variety.

US goldings- a great alternative to EKG that is usually fresher and cheaper.

Edelweiss- I know alot has been said about it, but it really is an amazing blend for lagers.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2020, 12:03:40 pm »

Aurora- a workhorse hop, respectable alphas so that it can be used as a bittering hop, a great aroma hop for lagers, belgian styles, even works in english beers. Refined aroma, slight grass, with a bright "hoppy" flavor. He said he doesnt sell alot of it, but the folks that order it absolutely insist on this variety.

US goldings- a great alternative to EKG that is usually fresher and cheaper.

Edelweiss- I know alot has been said about it, but it really is an amazing blend for lagers.
Thanks Cliffs.  I'm already on board with Edelweiss and I started using US Goldings years ago after making a few beers that came out really nicely with these hops.  For an upcoming bitter recipe, I specifically ordered US Goldings for that reason.  Fresh and punchy.  Aurora I have not used.  I am always looking for high-alpha, neutral hops for bittering and I usually use Magnum for lagers and Nugget and/or Horizon for ales.  But Aurora sounds interesting so I will keep it in mind.  Cheers.
Ken from Chicago.