Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: EKG for lager beers  (Read 3683 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
EKG for lager beers
« on: December 26, 2020, 09:39:19 pm »
I have always used EKG as my default hop. About to order a lb of it and use it as the main hop in some lagers.

I don't want it to be weird. The noble hops are cheaper slightly, but I find them just so mild. Anyone have a thought?

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
EKG for lager beers
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 09:49:09 pm »
I think try it. But you might reduce the dosage compared to what normally you do for a pale ale. It doesn’t take as much hops to make a light lager taste hoppy.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: EKG for lager beers
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 10:26:45 pm »
I think try it. But you might reduce the dosage compared to what normally you do for a pale ale. It doesn’t take as much hops to make a light lager taste hoppy.

good thing to note. its rare that ive done a light lager, well in fact i have never done a light lager. but am basically doing a german pilsner but with EKG to ~35 IBU.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 11:53:46 pm »
The great thing about homebrewing is you can brew whatever you want, with whatever ingredients you want. If you want to use EKGs in a Lager, that's your prerogative. If you were going to enter the Lager in a sanctioned competition, I'd say use hops that fit the style.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 05:58:35 am »
I love EKG and would try this if I had a lot of time for brewing lagers. I don’t have a chance to brew many lagers so I tend to stay with the traditional hops.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2020, 08:11:02 am »
The great thing about homebrewing is you can brew whatever you want, with whatever ingredients you want. If you want to use EKGs in a Lager, that's your prerogative. If you were going to enter the Lager in a sanctioned competition, I'd say use hops that fit the style.
+1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2020, 09:31:29 am »
I love EKG and would try this if I had a lot of time for brewing lagers. I don’t have a chance to brew many lagers so I tend to stay with the traditional hops.

im going to go ahead with it. i'll try to let people know how it went in about 2 months.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2020, 11:59:25 am »
Use whatever hop you like in whatever beer you want.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2020, 12:32:48 pm »
Use whatever hop you like in whatever beer you want.

cluster IPA

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2020, 01:52:18 pm »
I don't think it's so far off from noble hops that it would seem out of place in a lager.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2020, 05:47:06 pm »
If you have been at this for a while, you've seen other hops listed as Noble. Hersbrucker for example. Sometimes EKG and Fuggles too.

https://beerconnoisseur.com/articles/what-are-noble-hops
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 09:11:23 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2020, 07:52:57 pm »
I don't think it's so far off from noble hops that it would seem out of place in a lager.

yup, i wanted to add, in my opinion EKG is refined enough to be noble, but with 150% more character/flavour than hal/tet/spa/saaz. talking out of my bumbum, hallertau and spalt are excessively mild and boring and tettnanger is one-noted. saaz has crazy low AAs when ive gotten it and that messes with my usages and perception of it, though i remember enjoying it a lot once.

If you have been at this for a while, you've seen other hops listed as Noble. Hrrsbrucko for example. Sometimes EKG and Fuggles too.

https://beerconnoisseur.com/articles/what-are-noble-hops

i think ages ago i used styrian goldings and it was a good beer. i dont have access to them or things like lublin hops, etc at the moment.

don't like fuggles.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2020, 10:40:48 am »
In another thread we discussed the idea that you use the best hops you have for whatever style you're making.  If you're making a Czech Lager but the Saaz you have are questionable but you have nice, fresh Liberty or Santiam or Edelweiss or Vanguard or Crystal or Mt. Hood, giddy up.  The beer would be better overall.  The concept of EKG in a pale lager is slightly unusual but I would not be afraid to try it.  I make A LOT of gold lagers.  I use noble hops often but not always.  Also, if you're ever interested in making a beer with a nice noble hop, get some Spalt from Yakima Valley.  They are more robust than Hallertau, Tettnanger, etc.  There is spice and herbal character but they seem to have more PUNCH than some others.  Freshness matters, clearly.  I've had GREAT Hallertau hops and also some with very little character.  Let us know how it comes out.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2020, 11:19:19 am »
^I am a proponent of this ideology, the "wrong" hop in good condition usually gets me better results than the true to style hop that isnt in as good of shape. For this reason, I have quit using Saaz altogether, I just had too many instances of saaz being in poor condition.
I've used US goldings in lagers as a single addition for bittering . I boil very lightly, and I found that some earth and floral character still came through. It was a very pleasant beer and did not taste out of place.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2020, 11:50:57 am »
^I am a proponent of this ideology, the "wrong" hop in good condition usually gets me better results than the true to style hop that isnt in as good of shape. For this reason, I have quit using Saaz altogether, I just had too many instances of saaz being in poor condition.
I've used US goldings in lagers as a single addition for bittering . I boil very lightly, and I found that some earth and floral character still came through. It was a very pleasant beer and did not taste out of place.
Saaz is funny because it's already a mild and low-alpha hop, generally.  There were some people (here? another board?) where someone was placing a direct order with a hop farm in the Czech Republic.  You had to place an order in advance and I believe they were whole hops.  I'm sure they were excellent.  For the rest of us... getting good Saaz is tricky.  I think I would go to Yakima Valley as a plan B only because I always seem to get excellent hops from them.

I know I mentioned this but there was a Kolsch brewed by a craft brewery in Chicago and I had some of it on draft at a place where you can play bocce indoors.  The beer was good enough for me to contact the brewery and ask for the recipe.  The brewer answered and told me that the hops were Nugget to bitter and then Santiam later in the boil.  Unusual and untraditional?  Yes.  Great beer?  You bet. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.