Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lager/Pilsner with non-traditional non-German hops?  (Read 1944 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Lager/Pilsner with non-traditional non-German hops?
« on: February 19, 2021, 07:23:39 pm »
About a year ago I got a glycol chiller and the ability to make lagers.  I’ve been making Bavarian type lagers and German beers liked dunkels and loved them. Was thinking of making A Pilsner but instead of using a traditional German hop, using something like strata. Anyone done this and any opinions?
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Lager/Pilsner with non-traditional non-German hops?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 07:48:37 pm »
Strata is one I liked. Lots of berry flavor and aroma in the Pale Ale I brewed. Use a relatively light hand of the malt will be overpowered.

I've had beers in Germany featuring newish German hops like Mandarina and Saphir that were very drinkable.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 09:22:02 pm »
Motueka and/or Sterling are my go-to hops for this. Both are Saaz descendants, and both have that  spicy noble character at their heart, but they get citrus when used at a higher hopping rate as late or dry hops. Neither is overpowering, so it turns out like a Pils with just a little bit extra to it.

I really like WY2278 for this, by the way. I find it has a crisp finish that accentuates the hops nicely.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 09:57:38 pm »
One of the aspects of home brewing is breaking the barriers of ‘a [fill in the blank] beer has to be this’. There’s absolutely nothing limiting you to a set of rules or tradition. If you’re shooting for a traditional target then you should research classic examples, if not: Go for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 12:37:54 am »
Sterling for Bohemian/Czech Pilsners, and Crystal for German Pils.

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enzymatic activity excites me!
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 04:00:06 am »
The American grown continental/noble derivatives are excellent and many argue they are better than their German counterparts based on freshness. I’m talking specifically of crystal, sterling, my hood, etc.

I’m a big fan of palisade which has a German lean but is a touch brighter in flavor. A lot of craft lagers are leaning on it... at least according to podcasts. Here’s a image of the hop schedule of a 5.5 gallon Pilsner I have in the fermenter. I’m currently drinking a 4 gallon batch with the almost the same hop bill/schedule which is amazing!

I will say I’ve not been a fan of some craft beer versions that are more aggressively hopped with more pungent American hops. So I think a 1/2 oz of most any hop could accent traditional approaches but it’s easy to lose the balance with a heavy hand. Conversely 1-2 oz of hops like progress, archer, mandarins Bavaria, or even Williamette can make excellent brews!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 07:16:28 am »
Faction Brewing on Alameda makes “Hella Strata”. Pilsner malt and Strata....lots of Strata mostly in the whirlpool. It’s wonderful.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 08:58:06 am »
I do that a lot using Yakima Chief American nobles.  Things like Simcoe or Mosaic, but with the restrained qualities of continental nobles.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 12:18:23 pm »
I’m a big fan of palisade which has a German lean but is a touch brighter in flavor. A lot of craft lagers are leaning on it... at least according to podcasts. Here’s a image of the hop schedule of a 5.5 gallon Pilsner I have in the fermenter. I’m currently drinking a 4 gallon batch with the almost the same hop bill/schedule which is amazing!
I do that a lot using Yakima Chief American nobles.  Things like Simcoe or Mosaic, but with the restrained qualities of continental nobles.
Hmm. I have some Palisade to use up and some American Noble's on order from YCH. Spring is on the way, and it looks like a lot of pale lagers are in my future.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2021, 05:30:53 pm »
As far as I am concerned, the best American-bred Hallertau Mittlefrueh triploid is Liberty.  Mt. Hood is good, but it does not hold a candle to Liberty.  Galena for bittering combined with Liberty for additions produces a beautiful pale lager.  Galena is one of Magnum's parents, so Magnum should be just as good.

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enzymatic activity excites me!
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 11:22:03 pm »
Motueka and/or Sterling are my go-to hops for this. Both are Saaz descendants, and both have that  spicy noble character at their heart, but they get citrus when used at a higher hopping rate as late or dry hops. Neither is overpowering, so it turns out like a Pils with just a little bit extra to it.

I really like WY2278 for this, by the way. I find it has a crisp finish that accentuates the hops nicely.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I think those hops together or combined with others discussed earlier could be excellent. Morueka was a disappointment as the dominant hop in IPAs I’ve brewed but it sounds great in this light.

I’m gonna try to squeeze in one more lager before summer in the south and may go in this direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2021, 06:37:16 am »
As far as I am concerned, the best American-bred Hallertau Mittlefrueh triploid is Liberty.  Mt. Hood is good, but it does not hold a candle to Liberty.  Galena for bittering combined with Liberty for additions produces a beautiful pale lager.  Galena is one of Magnum's parents, so Magnum should be just as good.

+1 to the combination of Galena and Liberty. On deck for me is a German Pils with that hop combination.

I know its personal preference, and I'm guessing Mt. Hood is more popular.
Roger

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2021, 07:14:35 am »
Who said you have to have a chiller to make lager?
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2021, 07:39:05 am »
Living in Southern California, glycol chiller definitely needed for lager yeast.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2021, 09:12:57 am »

Ah yes!  I had forgotten about Liberty hops. Same family as Crystal and Mt. Hood, and perhaps superior to these other family members.