Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lallemand Diamond Lager versus Fermentis W-34/70  (Read 38081 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Lallemand Diamond Lager versus Fermentis W-34/70
« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2021, 08:52:29 am »
I have had widely varying expiration dates from the same retailer.  I suspect that some inventory doesn't move as quickly or perhaps there was a lot of Diamond in the market at one time so they are just now getting to the product that is due to expire later this year?  Or possibly the Diamond isn't given such a long expiration date?  It was noticeable in my last order of both Diamond and S-189...who knows?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #121 on: March 30, 2021, 10:59:35 am »
I have had widely varying expiration dates from the same retailer.  I suspect that some inventory doesn't move as quickly or perhaps there was a lot of Diamond in the market at one time so they are just now getting to the product that is due to expire later this year?  Or possibly the Diamond isn't given such a long expiration date?  It was noticeable in my last order of both Diamond and S-189...who knows?
Depends on what strains they use in their kits, too. For example, if their Octoberfest uses 34/70 you will probably get pretty fresh packets in the late fall after the turnover.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #122 on: March 30, 2021, 12:21:02 pm »
I ordered and received 2 sachets of each last October from the same retailer.

Both 34/70 sachets were dated 10/2020.

Both Diamond sachets were dated 10/2021.

So there seems to be no rhyme or reason to how fresh these are.

However, I seem to remember someone on this forum suggesting they last significantly longer if stored properly.
Roger

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #123 on: March 30, 2021, 12:53:46 pm »
How timely....Lallemand just reached out to me to give me access to their info on best practices and contacts for further info.  I just looked over one of their studies that showed that 3 year old yeasyy performed equally to fresh yeast.  I certainly wouldn't be worried about the dates in the OP.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #124 on: March 30, 2021, 01:11:44 pm »
How timely....Lallemand just reached out to me to give me access to their info on best practices and contacts for further info.  I just looked over one of their studies that showed that 3 year old yeasyy performed equally to fresh yeast.  I certainly wouldn't be worried about the dates in the OP.

There is only an expiration date, not a package date, so no way to know how old the yeast is.

Three years old...is that from manufacture and package date, or is it 3 years past it's BBD? How would you know?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #125 on: March 30, 2021, 01:22:22 pm »

There is only an expiration date, not a package date, so no way to know how old the yeast is.

Three years old...is that from manufacture and package date, or is it 3 years past it's BBD? How would you know?

Message sent to Lallemand.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 01:27:33 pm by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #126 on: March 30, 2021, 04:09:58 pm »
I believe the expiration date is set to two yrs after mfr date. Let’s see if that’s correct based on what Denny finds out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #127 on: March 30, 2021, 07:14:35 pm »
Diamond Lager is moving fairly slowly if the packets expire in a few months, that, or Label Peelers is not using a FIFO-based inventory system.  I ordered Diamond Lager yesterday from Label Peelers.  It shipped today, so this information is not good.  I have had better success with Lallemand's products than those produced by Fermentis, so I figured I would give Diamond Lager a shot before I write dry lager yeast off completely.  Every brewer needs a backup culture.  I kept a package of BRY-97 in my beer fridge as backup for ale fermentations in my last brew house. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 06:04:52 am by Saccharomyces »

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #128 on: March 30, 2021, 07:17:58 pm »
I believe the expiration date is set to two yrs after mfr date. Let’s see if that’s correct based on what Denny finds out.

Dang! So my yeast has been sitting on the store shelf for nearly two years? Not good.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #129 on: March 30, 2021, 08:39:27 pm »

Dang! So my yeast has been sitting on the store shelf for nearly two years? Not good.
Like many here and elsewhere have experienced, the expiration date doesn’t necessarily mean it’s not going to work as advertised.

I bought a 500g brick of Bry-97 ~a year ago and have a cpl hundred grams remaining. It expires in April. I plan to continue using it until exhausted because I’ve kept it under vacuum and refrigerated after each use.

YMMV

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #130 on: March 31, 2021, 06:54:54 am »

Like many here and elsewhere have experienced, the expiration date doesn’t necessarily mean it’s not going to work as advertised.

I bought a 500g brick of Bry-97 ~a year ago and have a cpl hundred grams remaining. It expires in April. I plan to continue using it until exhausted because I’ve kept it under vacuum and refrigerated after each use.

YMMV

does it work the same as if from smaller packets? any differences? i always wondered about buying in bulk.

Offline BrewBama

Lallemand Diamond Lager versus Fermentis W-34/70
« Reply #131 on: March 31, 2021, 08:12:48 am »
I have used portions of 11g packages, vacuum sealed and refrigerated the remainder using it in subsequent batches. I noticed no degradation or difference in performance, taste, etc.

Lalleman says: “If kept sealed (or re-sealed) under vacuum and stored under appropriate conditions, dry yeast can be used until the indicated expiration date, which is typically 2-3 years after manufacture.”

Appropriate conditions are described as “dry,  below  4 ̊C  (39 ̊F”

« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 08:25:27 am by BrewBama »

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #132 on: March 31, 2021, 11:27:59 am »
I have used portions of 11g packages, vacuum sealed and refrigerated the remainder using it in subsequent batches. I noticed no degradation or difference in performance, taste, etc.

Lalleman says: “If kept sealed (or re-sealed) under vacuum and stored under appropriate conditions, dry yeast can be used until the indicated expiration date, which is typically 2-3 years after manufacture.”

Appropriate conditions are described as “dry,  below  4 ̊C  (39 ̊F”

So I bought yeast that is nearing the end of it's shelf life. Did Label Peelers keep it stored at 38 F or below? For the last two or three years?
No wonder it was on sale, with free shipping. I will not buy from them again.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 06:12:18 pm by TXFlyGuy »

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #133 on: March 31, 2021, 12:16:25 pm »
Can’t speak to the ‘on sale’ portion but they always ship dry yeast free.

I believe your yeast is fine. That’s one of the beauties of dry yeast: shelf stability.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #134 on: April 01, 2021, 06:08:35 am »

White Labs Inc. is working with Lallemand to distribute Diamond Lager Yeast. This is the first time White Labs has sold dried yeast.

The yeast originated in Germany and is used by many commercial breweries to produce different kinds of lager. No colors, preservatives or other nonnatural substances have been used in its preparation. The yeast has been used with great success at commercial breweries in Germany and North America.

White Labs has decided to distribute this yeast because it provides an innovative, flexible product for brewers. It is more economical to ship, has a long life span, and has the highest purity level of any dry strain that White Labs has reviewed. Also, it can be pitched cold.

This is the second Lallemand product that White Labs distributes, with the other being Servomyces.