Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Does anyone brew a favorite that they can't buy readily?  (Read 5693 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Does anyone brew a favorite that they can't buy readily?
« on: March 24, 2021, 10:26:18 am »
I prefer dark ales with very low esters and haven't been able to find them in local grocery store craft beer aisles or even in the average liquor store.   Most of my brewing efforts go toward crafting brown ales, porters, and stouts with US05 yeast to minimize esters.

Do any of you have favorites that you cannot find commercially and are customizing to your own preferences?
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
Re: Does anyone brew a favorite that they can't buy readily?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 10:27:05 am »
Any of the beers from St Peters brewery in the UK can't find them anywhere and they can't ship their home brew kits to me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 10:31:33 am »
I basically started brewing beer because I couldn't get stuff I wanted to drink locally. It isn't the reason I actually started but most likely one of the reasons I began brewing regularly. The first time I ever tasted a IIPA was a Pliney Clone I brewed.

Offline JFMBearcat

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 10:33:22 am »
Altbier and Cali Common aren't nearly enough represented on retail shelves for my tastes, so I brew my own.
James Miller
Cincinnati OH
Bloatarian Brewing League
BJCP B1408

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 10:39:05 am »
I basically started brewing beer because I couldn't get stuff I wanted to drink locally. It isn't the reason I actually started but most likely one of the reasons I began brewing regularly. The first time I ever tasted a IIPA was a Pliney Clone I brewed.

What couldn't you find locally, and are you modifying it beyond normal style parameters?
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 10:48:01 am »

What couldn't you find locally, and are you modifying it beyond normal style parameters?

When I moved here from PA (I live in Alabama) in '93 Sam Adams and Pete's Wicked Ale was about all I could find. Now, of course, it is completely different we can get just about anything and have several small breweries (I'll take credit for some of that, Alabama, you are welcome).

As far as going beyond normal style parameters ... not really I guess. I used Crystal Hops in my Kölsch and I did use some interesting spices in my Belgian styles but for the most part I can't think of anything that far out of the ordinary. I really liked German style beers that I had tried while travelling and so I would try to replicate them at home (like doppelbock for instance) and I would try to get them as close to the style that I had tried.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 11:38:26 am »
I second altbier

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 12:07:59 pm »
Lazy,

I implore you to try Nottingham for your dark beers if you like dry yeast. It's even cleaner than US-05.

I didn't get into brewing to brew what I couldn't get at the store. I got into it because it seemed like a really cool thing to do. It still is; it's the greatest hobby on Earth. Nowadays, I do find myself brewing more stuff that I can't really get readily available or fresh. Certainly no real reason to brew a hazy IPA right now. Finding myself brewing west coast IPA more since here in Iowa you can't really find it anymore - a few varieties, that's about it.

Oatmeal stout - what the hell happened to this style? No one makes it anymore, Sam Smith's is the absolute benchmark in my book. And now I have my nitro setup ready to go. So excited for oatmeal stout on nitro. I really miss Summit Oatmeal stout. Used to be on nitro at the local bowling alley. No we don't really even get Summit beer in Iowa anymore...stupid pandemic.

Helles - Some breweries make them but they really fall short of what I feel a good helles should be. And ain't none of us going to make one anywhere near as good as Weihenstephaner, the benchmark of helles. Sorry lodo guys. We just don't have the equipment, time, knowledge (although I think we have the knowledge now for the most part), resources, etc. to make what they make. But, you can get close and many breweries aren't even in the ballpark. But I also find I'm not always in the mood for that uber malt flavor that the German lagers have. Just that American versions are usually too hopped up or use crappy malt.

Black IPA - no one makes these anymore and I liked and brewed the style before it was cool back in 2008 (yeah, I said it, I meant it, I'm here to represent it).

Vienna lager - no one around here makes these although they seem to be getting a bit more popular.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 12:10:58 pm by beersk »
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2021, 12:17:34 pm »
Lazy,

I implore you to try Nottingham for your dark beers if you like dry yeast. It's even cleaner than US-05.

And IMO BRY-97 is cleaner than either of those.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2021, 12:18:55 pm »
Lazy,

Well, there you go. I haven't brewed with that yeast in years.
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2021, 12:20:01 pm »
Lazy,

Well, there you go. I haven't brewed with that yeast in years.

It's pretty much become my go to when I don't want to make a starter.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2021, 12:39:56 pm »
I love Belgian ales.  I can get them here but they're pricey.  I've finally honed in on a dubbel and tripel recipe I really enjoy and find they stack up well against available beers.  I still haven't been able to make a quad come out as well as I hoped.
On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2021, 12:49:45 pm »
Once in a while I brew a good ol' American Amber, the kind that was very popular in the mid-90s. Great style that these days doesn't get the love it deserves.

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2021, 12:50:09 pm »
Spruce Amber beer is in my regular rotation.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2021, 01:13:52 pm »
When I go to the bottle shop I am often surrounded by a lot of beer I would never buy... over-the-top IPAs, Belgians, gimmicky beers, etc.  So many of my batches are meant to fill that void:  German styles that I feel are better than what I can get here because the ones in the stores are usually aged.  Mine are clearly not "better" but they are good and they are "fresher".  Middle of the road pale ales... like APAs.  Hard to find in a bottle shop.  Dark lagers along the lines of Mexico's INDIO which I don't think is available here.  Think 5%, SRM 15 or so and IBUs of maybe 20.  Yuengling when I'm in the mood for it.  Can't get it in Illinois.  There is an Amber Lager by Live Oak in Austin called Big Bark.  Can't get it here so I asked the brewer for the recipe and he obliged. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.