Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: We need your questions!  (Read 5197 times)

Offline hmbrw4life

• Cellarman
Re: We need your questions!
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2021, 10:42:23 am »
For the record I am not a "LODO" brewer. I just make beer I enjoy using process's I picked up that make the beer I enjoy better and more enjoyable. Which I think, is why I(we) do it. It's really as complicated as that. I love knowledge and information, but I am also not biased in where it comes from.

Cheers to you man.  I myself am educated and always seeking knowledge, but I'll admit that for me myself, there is a limit to where I quit exploring topics that don't interest me.  I'm lazy, and can be stubborn.  Hell, I'm human.  But I'm all for knowledge, and if you are seeking knowledge, then more power to ya.

:)

Cheers, We all are (well maybe except for that Elon character)!
Science functions when theory correctly predicts the results of experiments.
Six Sigma in a former life. Retired in the current life.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2021, 10:58:53 am »

What are your favorite yeast strain discoveries lately that you haven't used in a long time or never used before?  Same question for malt?  (I don't really give a rat about hops, dammit!  ;D )

I used 1469 West Yorkshire recently for the first time in that 1957 Whitbread recipe from Shut Up About BP and thought it was glorious.  75%aa, slight fruit, dropped crystal clear, finished dry and session-able.  The beer had a very distinct character that I liked, almost like it changed from sip to swallow.  I need to find other appropriate recipes for this yeast.  Maybe a Brown ale.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2021, 11:01:45 am »
to piggyback of the cohumulone question, why do some hops give a different bitterness than others?

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2021, 11:13:21 am »
to piggyback of the cohumulone question, why do some hops give a different bitterness than others?

My point exactly.  Cheers.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline BrewBama

We need your questions!
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2021, 12:04:48 pm »
Are the results of LODO brewing worth the hassle for the average joe, or only for special joes?
Wouldn't that be a question to ones who brew(ed) with this method?

Not necessarily. I don’t have to know how to grow a tomato to be able to determine if I preferred one organically grown by a meticulous gardener who groomed, fed, nurtured the plant to one that’s commercial hot house grown by sticking seeds in the ground and walking away.

As long as I’ve tasted the results of the two methods, read about what’s involved, I could decide if it’s worth whatever details are involved to me and give an opinion on why/why not.

If I am not mistaken Denny and Drew do not currently and/or have not partaken in such endeavour. If they do/did, and I missed it I would love to read about it.

Missed it since March?  Having just been a member here since March you could have easily missed it.  Not that they have or haven’t — just sayin you haven’t been around long enough to know.

If not, isn't that kind of like asking my gardener if my blood work looks good?

No. It’s not. Unless the gardener has been reading blood work results for 20+ years and has educated himself on what’s good and what’s not good.

IOW, Drew & Denny have decades of brewing experience and can make educated deductions based on reading about different processes, tasting the results, and deciding if extra effort, if any, would be a PITA to them or not.

I have a lot less experience and can read about a process and determine if it’s going to be something I want to try or not. I don’t do decoction mashes because it sounds like a PITA.  I don’t have to do it to make that determination.  If any other brewer wants to then that’s cool with me. Go for it. I’ll pass.

Now this, I believe, we can all agree on:

... I just make beer I enjoy using process's I picked up that make the beer I enjoy better and more enjoyable. Which I think, is why I(we) do it. ...

...except I would say: I just make beer I enjoy using processes I enjoy that make the beer I enjoy better and more enjoyable to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 12:59:27 pm by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2021, 12:51:16 pm »
Are the results of LODO brewing worth the hassle for the average joe, or only for special joes?

Wouldn't that be a question to ones who brew(ed) with this method? If I am not mistaken Denny and Drew do not currently and/or have not partaken in such endeavour. If they do/did, and I missed it I would love to read about it.

If we were speaking to the efficacy of it, I'd agree.  But the hassle factor can be assessed without getting into the efficacy.

Going to have to disagree here. How would you know the hassle if you have not tried it?

For example, I have never fly sparged. How could I give a fair assessment on the hassle factor of it? It would be purley pontification.

As far as efficacy, LODO is just a term coined by some homebrewers. What they call LODO, the professionals (Kunze, Back, Narziss, Bamforth, Fix) just call brewing. I don't think there needs to even be a debate by some folks who brew in their driveways (me included of course) without the proper credentials, seems like a pointless waste of time.

I can read about the method and decide if I want to incorporate the steps.  I dont care about what "professionals" do unless it fits what I want to get out of homebrewing.  There is a difference in the goals of commercial brewers and the reason I homebrew.

That's sort of my point. Most certainly you can, and you will. As did I with fly sparging. However, doesn't make a person an authority on the subject, having never done it.

I drive over bridges to make my life easier, but I certainly can't build them or discuss why a mid-span brace is needed or pointless.

I'm not sure why you are quoting professionals, are you saying my references listed are not indeed professionals? Or professionals in a broader sense of homebrewers who filled out government paperwork properly to sell beer commercially, are deemed as professionals as well?

But to address the topic of you not caring of brewing professional methods and procedures. You are certainly, infact with 100% certainty, allowed to do whatever you would like in your brewing (hell and life for that matter). However (and another GIANT however), it doesn't deem the methods or procedures any less sound and taught worldwide in brewing and in science. I just want that to be clear, since you know that is the beauty of science. It's there whether you believe it or not.

Cheers

We're talking opinions, not authority.  My opinion is that I don't care for the additional process.  Since I haven't done it, I have no opinion on how well it works.  I have no opinion on the info from professionals.  What I was getting at is that it does not apply in my case.  It's not about believing in the science at all.  It's about what I care about in homebrewing.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2021, 12:52:50 pm »

We have an answer to that from Stan Heironymus

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hmbrw4life

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2021, 12:54:56 pm »

Missed it since March?  Having just been a member here since March you could have easily missed it.  Not that they have or haven’t — just sayin you haven’t been around long enough to know.

That's quite an assumption that this forum is their only brewing presence. Also an assumption, that this forum is my only brewing presence.  ;)

No. It’s not. Unless the gardener has been reading blood work results for 20+ years and has educated himself on what’s good and what’s not good.

IOW, Drew & Denny have decades of brewing experience and can make educated deductions based on reading about different processes, tasting the results, and deciding if extra effort, if any, would be a PITA to them or not.

I have a lot less experience and can read about a process and determine if it’s going to be something I want to try or not. I don’t do decoction mashes because it sounds like a PITA.  I don’t have to do it to make that determination.  If any other brewer wants to then that’s cool with me. Go for it. I’ll pass.
This is also an assumption that just because you do something for a measured time, it means you did it right and there is nothing left to learn.
I have 50+ years of brushing my teeth, I doubt I'm an expert at it, and for surely can't do a proper routine cleaning.

Now this, I believe, we can all agree on:

Sounds good on paper, but can we? I'm not so sure.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 01:00:23 pm by hmbrw4life »

Offline hmbrw4life

• Cellarman
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2021, 12:59:51 pm »

Wouldn't that be a question to ones who brew(ed) with this method? If I am not mistaken Denny and Drew do not currently and/or have not partaken in such endeavour. If they do/did, and I missed it I would love to read about it.

If we were speaking to the efficacy of it, I'd agree.  But the hassle factor can be assessed without getting into the efficacy.

Going to have to disagree here. How would you know the hassle if you have not tried it?

For example, I have never fly sparged. How could I give a fair assessment on the hassle factor of it? It would be purley pontification.

As far as efficacy, LODO is just a term coined by some homebrewers. What they call LODO, the professionals (Kunze, Back, Narziss, Bamforth, Fix) just call brewing. I don't think there needs to even be a debate by some folks who brew in their driveways (me included of course) without the proper credentials, seems like a pointless waste of time.

I can read about the method and decide if I want to incorporate the steps.  I dont care about what "professionals" do unless it fits what I want to get out of homebrewing.  There is a difference in the goals of commercial brewers and the reason I homebrew.

That's sort of my point. Most certainly you can, and you will. As did I with fly sparging. However, doesn't make a person an authority on the subject, having never done it.

I drive over bridges to make my life easier, but I certainly can't build them or discuss why a mid-span brace is needed or pointless.

I'm not sure why you are quoting professionals, are you saying my references listed are not indeed professionals? Or professionals in a broader sense of homebrewers who filled out government paperwork properly to sell beer commercially, are deemed as professionals as well?

But to address the topic of you not caring of brewing professional methods and procedures. You are certainly, infact with 100% certainty, allowed to do whatever you would like in your brewing (hell and life for that matter). However (and another GIANT however), it doesn't deem the methods or procedures any less sound and taught worldwide in brewing and in science. I just want that to be clear, since you know that is the beauty of science. It's there whether you believe it or not.

Cheers

We're talking opinions, not authority.  My opinion is that I don't care for the additional process.  Since I haven't done it, I have no opinion on how well it works.  I have no opinion on the info from professionals.  What I was getting at is that it does not apply in my case.  It's not about believing in the science at all.  It's about what I care about in homebrewing.

Here's the crux though Denny. Your opinions are taken as "authority", so you have to walk that line carefully. People are asking you an "authority" for your opinion. Thats my driving point.
Your "I don't care about brewing science", and running a podcast that preaches science and experiments is not computing for me? What am I missing?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 01:02:39 pm by hmbrw4life »

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2021, 01:07:15 pm »
This thread delivers. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2021, 01:27:09 pm »

Cheers

Here's the crux though Denny. Your opinions are taken as "authority", so you have to walk that line carefully. People are asking you an "authority" for your opinion. Thats my driving point.
Your "I don't care about brewing science", and running a podcast that preaches science and experiments is not computing for me? What am I missing?

Ya know, I had a long reply for this, but I think this is enough.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewBama

We need your questions!
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2021, 01:30:10 pm »
Ditto. Disengaged.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 01:36:04 pm by BrewBama »

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2021, 01:34:41 pm »
...I shall apologize a second time-ah!

:-[
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2021, 02:00:11 pm »

Here's the crux though Denny. Your opinions are taken as "authority",

not from me they don't!  ;) I'm more like Hebrew National here...

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2021, 02:45:00 pm »

Here's the crux though Denny. Your opinions are taken as "authority",

not from me they don't!  ;) I'm more like Hebrew National here...

Yeah....as it should be.

www.dennybrew.com