Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fairly New Brewing Direction  (Read 2936 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Fairly New Brewing Direction
« on: May 19, 2021, 05:15:58 pm »

I’ve brewed maybe a handful of Belgian style beers in my brew history. Some were good/ok and some were dumpers... ok, just one got dumped!! I look forward to reviewing this book and learning about the Belgium nuances of Belgian brewing and styles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Re: Fairly New Brewing Direction
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 05:57:55 pm »
Great book. Stan and Tim are two of the coolest dudes you'll meet.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 06:19:53 pm »
Agree.  Great book.

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 07:59:55 pm »
Fantastic book with a wealth of information. I've brewed a lot of Belgian Ales, for many years, and this book is my number one reference. It helped to make my  Belgian styles much better. 🍺

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 09:00:48 pm »
great book. It's been around for a while now. I need to read it again sometime soon

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 09:41:53 pm »
hate to ask this, but if you could summarize it in a sentence or two, how would you?

ive kind of moved away from belgian attempts, though i love belgian beers of course.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Fairly New Brewing Direction
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2021, 06:15:10 am »
I admittedly don’t brew many Belgian styles. I usually brew British or American styles. I also have BLAM and may reread it to get some ideas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 08:19:37 am by BrewBama »

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2021, 06:32:22 am »
I'm sure it's a great book.  Is there a chapter on how to clean up the vomit that I would produce if I drank a Belgian beer?  :D  I'm sorry.  I had to.  My experience with Belgians has gone from unbelievably bad to just-slightly-better-than-unbelievably-bad.  I don't like 'em.  Can't get around it. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2021, 07:10:01 am »
I'm sure it's a great book.  Is there a chapter on how to clean up the vomit that I would produce if I drank a Belgian beer?  :D  I'm sorry.  I had to.  My experience with Belgians has gone from unbelievably bad to just-slightly-better-than-unbelievably-bad.  I don't like 'em.  Can't get around it.

Bummer for you! Definitely your loss. But saying "I don't like Belgians" is kinda like saying "I don't like Indian Food". Guaranteed there is something you would enjoy.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2021, 07:28:34 am »

Bummer for you! Definitely your loss. But saying "I don't like Belgians" is kinda like saying "I don't like Indian Food". Guaranteed there is something you would enjoy.
I've tried many, many Belgians starting with Leffe.  I've had all the bangers... Chimay, Kwak, Saison DuPont, Westmalle, Duvel, etc.  The various yeast strains are not working for me with that horse-blanket, barnyard, overly complex, spicy, phenolic, bubble gummy, etc.  I have been able to put down Hoegaarden and also Stella Artois which I do not consider a real Belgian beer.  Otherwise... whiff!  :D
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2021, 07:39:21 am »
Some people just hate flavor and that's ok. No accounting for taste.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2021, 07:52:53 am »
I shouldn't have mucked up the thread.  Apologies. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2021, 08:00:32 am »
Your insight is worth noting, Ken.  Tastes are varied and while I enjoy a really good Belgian now and again, I rarely order them, unless the mood strikes.  Duvel, Orval, that type of thing, occasionally.  I have a 14 year Solera of Flanders going in my basement and I need to brew a new batch for blending this year.  I will keg my blend and it will last well over a year with my group of friends taking a sample every so often.  The complexity is sublime, but not an everyday beer, of course.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2021, 08:10:35 am »
It really is a great book, though it's probably been a decade since I've read it - enjoy.  For the last few years, Belgian-style ale has been the majority of what I brew.  I have three going right now...
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2021, 08:40:54 am »
IMO, it is then ultimate book about Belgian styles. It definitely helped me improve my beers a lot.  But theres a lot more to it.  It has some of the best, most well informed general brewing advice I've ever read.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell