Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Using collapsable bags to displace o2 during racking/packaging  (Read 4156 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Been playing around with this for a few batches and it works. Fill the bag with co2, attach in place of air lock and the co2 in the bag displaces the head space.

Bottled a couple 5 liter batches today without a hitch. I haven't tried it on 5 gallon batches yet. Might need to replace bag before end not sure.

here are the bags and the spigots if any one is interested

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=122655
https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=136411

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 05:30:55 pm by majorvices »

Offline hmbrw4life

• Cellarman
Re: Using collapsable bags to displace o2 during racking/packaging
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 06:54:52 am »
Been playing around with this for a few batches and it works. Fill the bag with co2, attach in place of air lock and the co2 in the bag displaces the head space.

Bottled a couple 5 liter batches today without a hitch. I haven't tried it on 5 gallon batches yet. Might need to replace bag before end not sure.

here are the bags and the spigots if any one is interested

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=122655
https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=136411

Could you just attach your CO2 line to the rubber stopper, and slowly (<=1-2psi) do the same thing minus the need for the bag?
Science functions when theory correctly predicts the results of experiments.
Six Sigma in a former life. Retired in the current life.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 07:56:29 am »
Yep. I've done that. Sorta where I got the idea looking for better alternatives. The co2 pressure pops the bung out cuasing it to have to be constantly monitored. IN this particular instance I was bottling directly from the fermenter so that definitely wouldn't work.

Obviously if you have a vessel capable of being and holding pressure a tank of Co2 might be a better solution. Maybe not for bottling though since it puts pressure on the line and forces the beer out faster than you may want it.

Another thing that struck me is that if homewbrewers don't have co2 they could simply collect the co2 off their fermentation into the bag and use that in place of filling the bag.

Offline hmbrw4life

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 07:58:10 am »
Yep. I've done that. Sorta where I got the idea looking for better alternatives. The co2 pressure pops the bung out cuasing it to have to be constantly monitored. IN this particular instance I was bottling directly from the fermenter so that definitely wouldn't work.

Obviously if you have a vessel capable of being and holding pressure a tank of Co2 might be a better solution. Maybe not for bottling though since it puts pressure on the line and forces the beer out faster than you may want it.

Another thing that struck me is that if homewbrewers don't have co2 they could simply collect the co2 off their fermentation into the bag and use that in place of filling the bag.

Fair enough.

Have you seen an improvement in product, when bottling with CO2 in the headspace, as opposed to standard?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 07:59:17 am »

Kinda like the party balloon a lot of people have started using.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 08:00:35 am »

That was my thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline hmbrw4life

• Cellarman

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 09:30:19 am »
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/ccguardianv3.htm
How bout that? Didn’t see the size but same concept.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 09:31:46 am »
Actually yeah, 2.5 gallon. This one is 5 gallons and cheaper option

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2021, 10:41:09 am »
   I use Fast Ferments and just stick a plug in the airlock hole when I cold crash, the lid seal & plug hold what little vacuum is created during crashing. As for the bag thing, I've been using a supersized balloon of CO2 attached to the airlock when bottling for several years now. Probably accomplishes very little, but almost certainly doesn't hurt.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2021, 10:55:03 am »
   I use Fast Ferments and just stick a plug in the airlock hole when I cold crash, the lid seal & plug hold what little vacuum is created during crashing. As for the bag thing, I've been using a supersized balloon of CO2 attached to the airlock when bottling for several years now. Probably accomplishes very little, but almost certainly doesn't hurt.

I guess it's a bigger deal for me than it is for others. I never like racking a beer and displacing with air.  I much prefer a closed transfer system. The only time I am not closed transfering is when I am bottling and bottle conditioning and even with that I am considering using a CPBF to purge with Co2 first (not filling under pressure).

One of the big benefits is if you are racking and you accidentally screw up your process and bubbled get in the line -- that Co2 instead of air.

Another big bonus is the yeast cake is under Co2 instead of unfiltered air (unless you use a filter ;) )

FTR you can also purge your racking line if you have a "siphonless fermenter" by having a small amount of Co2 in your keg and attaching the line via a QDC with port "closed" -- the Co2 will purge the line pushing the air out that tiny hole that is on every single plastic spigot I have ever encountered (the reason for I have never completely fathomed).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 10:57:03 am by majorvices »

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2021, 04:10:15 pm »
I use that tiny little hole on the spigot to flush it with StarSan. I put a hose on the bottom (output) of the spigot and fill it with StarSan until it starts shooting out the little hole.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
Using collapsable bags to displace o2 during racking/packaging
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2021, 07:27:45 pm »
Utilizing those hidden options… love it! I believe when the idea struck me me to purge the racking line was when sani left over in the keg shot me in the face out of that little hole (insert joke here)

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2021, 04:28:39 am »

Great idea! I wonder how this would work as a bladder for collecting co2 during ferment. Wish I could re-cycle all that gas somehow and at least use it for purging a keg of starsan. Tried garbage bags but they are a little too thin for squeezing the gas back into the keg.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2021, 08:52:58 am »

Great idea! I wonder how this would work as a bladder for collecting co2 during ferment. Wish I could re-cycle all that gas somehow and at least use it for purging a keg of starsan. Tried garbage bags but they are a little too thin for squeezing the gas back into the keg.

That definitely works. I've tried it. Great option for those folks who don't keg or have a Co2 rig. In fact, that got me to thinking that folks who insist on using a "secondary" should attach the "secondary" to the primary with a double hole bung and add the airlock on the "secondary". That way the "secondary" is purged with co2 (mostly).