Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best Freezer for Keezer  (Read 4947 times)

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
Re: Best Freezer for Keezer
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2023, 12:45:50 pm »
Unfortunately, I'm getting a little nervous as it seems to drift up and down more than it used to.  Once you consider the cost to build, I'm not sure you are much better off than some of the newer kegerators being sold by the likes of MoreBeer.   

That could be. My keezer total comes to $630 (first time I ever added it all up haha). The  Komos with Quad taps and tower is a little over $900. I'm still "ahead" but if you consider the time put into building, it's probably a wash:

• freezer $150
  • Intertap (stainless) faucets and handles $170
  • shanks $90
  • Duotight hoses/connectors $170
  • electronics (Inkbird, Microcontroller, LEDs) ~$50

The Komos kegerators are beautiful. I can see that price being attractive for a lot of people. Just order it, plug it in and enjoy. I have a lineage of German tinkering in my DNA however and the attraction of a good DIY project is inescapable. So, for me, the keezer build is more part of the hobby and a less about the utility.

I did some searching around trying to find out if Frigidaire, or GE, or anyone else had some basic warnings about running a freezer "warmer" than a freezer. I didn't find a whole lot but the second search did turn up a forum discussion about someone's keezer getting a leak and the unfortunate demise of several individuals named Keezer. On the contrary,  Morebeer, and even the AHA website have articles on building a keezer from a freezer so maybe the failure rate of keezers is low enough that not a lot of people are complaining about it. I can't find a lot of info recommending against it.

Maybe it all depends on your local climate. My kegerator (going on 10+ years now) ices up something awful in the summer months and it's kept in a air conditioned basement. If it spent it's life in the garage or breezeway all year 'round maybe it would have died a long time ago. Keeping my fingers crossed on the keezer. I'll post back if/when it dies.

Offline JD5055

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2023, 12:16:06 pm »
I did a bunch of research last year and this one had the most room for 7cf models. It has worked out great for me.  4 cornies and a 20lb CO2 in the bottom or 5 kegs and it will hold 2 short kegs on well.https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hisense-7-cu-ft-Chest-Freezer-White/1002937124

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2023, 12:52:37 pm »
My Fridgidaire died after 12+ years. A guy in the club is in HVAC, and says Freezers don't last as Keezers. He then rattled off all the people in the club that have had keezers die.

The one i had would hold 8 kegs. Looking at something that would just be used for lagering at 30⁰F. I have refrigerators that are used for serving.

Hopfen, did the HVAC guy ever say why.

Anyway, there are chest freezers that are designed to operate at refrigerator temps. I wonder if these last longer.