Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

Could you take a brewer/brewpub seriously who served Bud/Miller/Coors on the tap next to his house-made brews?

Yeah, it makes sense to me
No, why would you do that?
No pants?

Author Topic: Brewpubs that serve BMC  (Read 11002 times)

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
Brewpubs that serve BMC
« on: September 15, 2010, 01:36:16 pm »
I've been to a couple brewpubs that serve the bigguns right next to their house brews.  At both places, their house beer sucked and more people were drinking coors light than anything else.  If it were my brewpub, I don't think I could take myself seriously if I served my beers and coors light on the same tower.  Why the extra expense of making your own brews?

Anyone else been to places like this?  What justification is there in doing this?

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Brewpubs that serve BMC
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 01:41:33 pm »
Unless you only associate with like-minded (from a beer perspective anyways) folks, it makes it easier for you to go out with a group of friends.  If all aren't interested in the good stuff, they've at least got an alternative.
Joe

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 01:43:24 pm »
Makes sense to me...  When groups of people gather at a pub, not everyone is into the craft beer.  One our local pubs has had PBR on tap & some others.  Actually PBR is a refreshing change once in a while IMO. :o
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 01:56:48 pm »
Another poll with "No Pants". I guess I'm slow because I don't get it.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 02:14:48 pm »
...more people were drinking coors light than anything else. 

Most pubs have an outside spigot for water. Same thing only cheaper.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 02:19:43 pm »
Whatever makes the market happy. And if it yields a good mark up push it. Hey, being in business has nothing to do with art.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 02:28:48 pm »
I've been to brewpubs like this and I just don't get it.  It makes me angry actually.  Why would a brewpub do that?  Most brewpubs make a light lager of some sort.  Why wouldn't you just tell the person, "Well, we do have a light lager that we brew, here's a sample."  Instead of giving up and immediately pouring them BMC.  I can see having those beers in bottles, but having taps for those beers right next to your delicious craft beer is an insult to the craft beer movement.
Jesse

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 02:34:40 pm »
Have to agree - I just don't think a Brew Pub should serve BMC. Now, a fancy beer bar is a different story. But a Brew Pub - no way. I can certainly see having guest taps for other craft brews. But never BMC.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 02:37:41 pm »
No, I can't take them seriously.  I'm all for bringing in what the customers want (light lager), but you don't have to go with BMC.  Bring in some nice German lagers or even American made ones and offer them that.  I would offer them Bitburger before I put Budweiser on tap.  I've even got some people hooked on Boddington's.  There are better beers available.

But if they insist, they can buy cans of BMC, warm, for $20 each.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 02:46:49 pm »
When a group of craft beer drinkers walk in with a couple of their BMC buddies, there's no reason to not cater to that customer too. Eventually one of them will try one of your brews, and if you're brewing some decent stuff... You may have another convert from the dark side. The last thing you want is them to walk out at the end of the night thinking "there's nothing here for me, I'm not coming back." Do you think that mixed group of BMC/craft beer drinkers will come back the next time they're all out together?
Mark Gres

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 02:53:28 pm »
Right, and ultimately the market decides. Its what you are selling that makes the cut. if you dont think that way you brewpub wont be open for long.

Most brewpubs dont have to worry about it. But suppose you are downtown, where the market is mixed. The idea is to sell, A LOT.

Ive seen these people drink one ESA and then go to their old stand by. To us it is pee but they like why not sell it to them.

What will it hurt.

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 02:57:48 pm »
It's all about serving the customer what he wants, not what you think he wants. Survival in the retail business demands a constant gain of market share. If you're not gaining you're losing.  In this case serving BMC is a safe bet to help increase market share IMO.  Cheers!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 02:58:39 pm »
Hey, being in business has nothing to do with art.

In a business where it's a mix of science and art, I think it does have to do with the art (at least to some degree)...

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 03:06:23 pm »
True, and your product should be your art. But the idea is to sell a lot. Why would you let your personal ego integrety get in the way of that.

Sell a product and then find as many companion products to sell along with it that you can.  if its yucky beer that sells a lot so what, at least it is selling.You may find yourself in a market that does not demand the kind of beer you brew, or rather need to sell to turn a profit. You have to find a way to sell more to keep it going.  
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 03:11:04 pm by capozzoli »

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 03:07:39 pm »
Hey, being in business has nothing to do with art.

Amen to that!  Our ideas about whether or not "its right" to have a commercial lager in a brewpub are interesting, but completely beside the point for a brewpub owner and entrepreneur.  If they have the approach that the purity of their art can't share a taproom with BMC, then they can take that approach.  They may find it harder to compete, depending on the market they are in, but some of them will do just fine.  But to be a successful business owner necessitates a lot of compromise and pragmatism, so I wouldn't give a brewpub owner grief over serving Coors, any more than I'd get upset over them serving Cocacola instead of freshly made, on premise artisanal soda made with raw cane sugar and organic flavorings and naturally carbonated with CO2 from the fermentors.

Actually I'd say the case could be made that regardless of the typical beer geek's opinion of it, BMC represents a much more natural product than, say, Diet Coke!  :D