Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Great Hot Side Aereation discussion  (Read 11841 times)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Great Hot Side Aereation discussion
« Reply #165 on: January 19, 2024, 05:17:02 pm »
I've skimmed through this low oxygen brewing stuff the last several years, never really thinking about trying it as I am happy with my lagers and it seems to be more trouble to implement than its worth. Now that I have been laid up recovering from knee replacement surgery the past two weeks, I have a question that I haven't seen an answer to.

How does one implement low oxygen brewing techniques when decoction mashing?

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #166 on: January 19, 2024, 08:09:49 pm »
I've skimmed through this low oxygen brewing stuff the last several years, never really thinking about trying it as I am happy with my lagers and it seems to be more trouble to implement than its worth. Now that I have been laid up recovering from knee replacement surgery the past two weeks, I have a question that I haven't seen an answer to.

I don’t think you can. Which is interesting because some of the best lagers in the world are said to be decoction mashed.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #167 on: January 19, 2024, 08:27:20 pm »
i bet simply taking a few litres of extra wort, lets say 4 litres and boiling that down to 1 litre would concentrate melanoidins the same if not more effectively than a decoction. less impact on the mash time too since you could just do it while boiling the wort anyway and add it in

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #168 on: January 20, 2024, 01:01:01 pm »

I don’t think you can. Which is interesting because some of the best lagers in the world are said to be decoction mashed.

Those lagers pump between vessels from the bottom to the bottom.

There are some that have been doing Kesselmaischs. Drain the liquid, boil the mash, add the liquid back from the bottom. Cover liquid with a cap when boiling the mash. Much less exposure than doing a manual transfer with a measuring cup or pitcher.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Great Hot Side Aereation discussion
« Reply #169 on: January 20, 2024, 03:07:12 pm »

Those lagers pump between vessels from the bottom to the bottom.

There are some that have been doing Kesselmaischs. Drain the liquid, boil the mash, add the liquid back from the bottom. Cover liquid with a cap when boiling the mash. Much less exposure than doing a manual transfer with a measuring cup or pitcher.
+1

I was thinking pull thick mash vs wort only.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 03:13:57 pm by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #170 on: January 21, 2024, 08:13:47 am »
i bet simply taking a few litres of extra wort, lets say 4 litres and boiling that down to 1 litre would concentrate melanoidins the same if not more effectively than a decoction. less impact on the mash time too since you could just do it while boiling the wort anyway and add it in

Nope, totally different
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #171 on: January 22, 2024, 10:45:47 am »
Thanks, Jeff, for the explanation on how commercial breweries decoction mash. Since I mash in a cooler, I guess that technique is out for me.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #172 on: January 23, 2024, 08:52:03 pm »
Thanks, Jeff, for the explanation on how commercial breweries decoction mash. Since I mash in a cooler, I guess that technique is out for me.

Try and be as gentle as you can when transferring. I've done that with OK results for Dunkels.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #173 on: January 27, 2024, 06:17:04 pm »

Don't forget to consider the effect of square cube law between the average home brew sized mashtun and large commercial ones. The difference of surface area in contact with air to the amount of liquid is so much less in the big systems.