Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Maredsous 8 or in the neighborhood thereof  (Read 2018 times)

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
Re: Maredsous 8 or in the neighborhood thereof
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2022, 11:42:47 am »
This is the recipe I've come up with so far. Thoughts? It is 3 gallons no-sparge (mashed & boiled in my M&B).

6 lbs Belgian pils
8 oz Munich
8 oz Aromatic
2 oz Special B
1 lb D-180
Hops
Wyeast 1388

I'd say it's in the ballpark, although I think I'd use a yeast with more character.  Maybe 3787 rather than 1388.  OTOH, it's is made by Duvel, so maybe 1388 would be correct. Flip a coin!

Thanks, Denny! I'm committed to that yeast (the candisyrup.com recipes for Maredsous 8 and 10 specify it and it is really my very favorite yeast these days; I find it super-delicious in my Belgian golden strong ales) but I was worried about things like will I get good attenuation with that balance of grain to syrup, etc. I've seen recipes that use much smaller amounts of syrup and add cane sugar, and I don't know if that's because the syrup doesn't attenuate as well or some other reason. Since D-180 comes in a one-pound bag, I thought I might as well use the whole bag unless there were a reason not to.

I've run the numbers and I think it will be ok, but hey it's 3 gallons and (once I put all the ingredients together... interesting supply chain issues) we'll find out. I'm guessing if you're commenting on the yeast I must be on the right track. :-)

I've used D180 a lot and always gotten great attenuation so you shouldn't worry about that. The grist looks fine to me.

Thanks so much!
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member