Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: thinking of Leveling Up  (Read 1287 times)

Offline rethatillman

• 1st Kit
thinking of Leveling Up
« on: July 03, 2022, 07:41:15 pm »
Over the last year, I've made the jump to all grain and have brewed some different styles. I'm wondering if anyone can point me towards a list of homebrew skills ordered from least to increasing difficulty. I want to level up my skills and brew quality,  and I'd like to get advice on where to go next. Thank you.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: thinking of Leveling Up
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2022, 08:01:43 pm »
Learn water and mash chemistry.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2022, 08:33:07 am »
I'd suggest reading the 4th ed. of How to Brew and picking what interests you.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2022, 08:39:19 am »
+1 water is key. …but don’t let it ruin your beer adding everything in the cabinet. You need calcium, chloride, and sulfate. Some may disagree but everything else is not required IMO.

Do everything you can to promote strong yeast health.

Learn to reduce O2 in your beer. There are some easy to adopt processes that can help tremendously.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2022, 09:05:40 am »
+1 water is key. …but don’t let it ruin your beer adding everything in the cabinet. You need calcium, chloride, and sulfate. Some may disagree but everything else is not required IMO.

Do everything you can to promote strong yeast health.

Learn to reduce O2 in your beer. There are some easy to adopt processes that can help tremendously.

+1. Give the yeast the best environment to ferment your beer.

Pitching the proper amount of healthy yeast into wort at the correct pitching temperature and maintaining the correct fermentation temperature until the yeast is finished….well, that’s number one for me.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2022, 09:11:36 am »
Yeast and fermentation, water and mash chemistry, reducing dissolved oxygen (especially post fermentation), and, obviously, strict cleanliness and sanitation are the keys to brewing great beer. You figure those out and you pretty much are just fine-tuning the rest.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2022, 09:14:17 am »
Yeast and fermentation, water and mash chemistry, reducing dissolved oxygen (especially post fermentation), and, obviously, strict cleanliness and sanitation are the keys to brewing great beer. You figure those out and you pretty much are just fine-tuning the rest.
+1

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2022, 10:44:59 am »
Everyone first concentrates on grain, hops and yeast. Water is often overlooked.   1. Water, 2. pH, 3. Ferment temp control, 4. Minimize oxygen exposure.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2022, 07:13:16 am »
Don't stress over any aspect. All of these things mentioned are good to know but if you can not do water chemistry or fermentation temperature control don't worry about it. Do the best you can and plow through. Experience is the best teacher. The more you brew the more lessons you will learn that will make you a better brewer. It's a fun hobby but don't get so lost in the details that you lose the fun part.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2022, 08:41:29 am »
Don't stress over any aspect. All of these things mentioned are good to know but if you can not do water chemistry or fermentation temperature control don't worry about it. Do the best you can and plow through. Experience is the best teacher. The more you brew the more lessons you will learn that will make you a better brewer. It's a fun hobby but don't get so lost in the details that you lose the fun part.

ALL OF THIS

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2022, 09:37:11 am »
Also, appreciate that our knowledge base is constantly evolving and growing - for example - available homebrewing temperature controls went from simply fermenting in a basement area or cool closet, to a swamp cooler (bucket in a larger water bucket with ice additions), to a foam fermentation chamber with ice bottles swapped out daily, to a chest freezer with external thermostat, to glycol jacketed tubing fed by pump through an ice chest, to more advanced glycol systems, to using Kveik yeast and fermenting warm, to pressure fermentation to control esters in warmer fermentations....Just to name a few.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2022, 11:16:04 am »
Another way to look at this is to flip it around: when you taste your beer, what is it that you don't like? What is it that you'd like to improve?  Figure out that, and then research how to make it better.  And if you don't know what it is you need to improve, start with one of the off-flavor training kits. That might help you zero in on what's off. Then you'd have an idea where to invest to improve.

Or yet another way to look it would be: what part of the hobby is the most fun for you? Like gadgets? Go all out on fermentation temperature control or fancy mash recirculation. Like microbiology? Go nuts on yeast health.  Like hospitality? Go crazy with your home bar draft set up.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2022, 11:53:07 am »
Another way to look at this is to flip it around: when you taste your beer, what is it that you don't like? What is it that you'd like to improve?  Figure out that, and then research how to make it better.  And if you don't know what it is you need to improve, start with one of the off-flavor training kits. That might help you zero in on what's off. Then you'd have an idea where to invest to improve.

Or yet another way to look it would be: what part of the hobby is the most fun for you? Like gadgets? Go all out on fermentation temperature control or fancy mash recirculation. Like microbiology? Go nuts on yeast health.  Like hospitality? Go crazy with your home bar draft set up.

Another great answer!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2022, 02:19:36 pm »
Good advice all around. I was going to add getting a home water test. I did that and brewed styles that matched my hard water. I focused on the processes, not so much on all the things that didn’t make sense to me. If you know what your water makeup is, it becomes easy to understand why some styles taste like dungus. Then I brewed my first dark beer, BVIP I believe. Wow, man I went through that batch. Then the lighter the beer got, the more I blended with RO. Control your fermentation temps and move to the next step. Don’t overwhelm yourself, it is a slippery slope.
Jeff B

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2022, 06:21:16 am »

+1 to this.

My suggestion is: read, then read, then read some more.  There are many great educational books available.  Then find your niche and go for it!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉