Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Today’s brew  (Read 15556 times)

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Today’s brew
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2023, 11:45:57 am »
I like the idea of making this instead of boiling down wort. It means you can make it ahead of time instead of adding another task to brew day.

Does invert and boiled-down wort accomplish the same goal, that is…are the flavors that each adds the same?  Will gravities end the same?

And again, as far as boiling down wort, it’s a very simple process that can be easily done alongside the boil. Maybe my BIAB setup lends itself to doing the boil down or maybe I’m doing it completely wrong, but for me it sure beats another day and another 2, 3, 4 hours of sugar watching.  I’ll acknowledge that you can probably get enough invert for multiple batches however.
I'm sure that invert and boiled-down wort produce somewhat different results because the starting points are different, but they must be similar.

One of my challenges is that I brew in the kitchen and there are other family members who need to prepare meals while I am brewing so I have to leave counter and cooktop space for them. It is already a complex dance to make sure we are not blocking each other, that my mash paddle is clear of their bacon spatter, etc. Adding a pot on the cooktop to boil down wort is just be a bit too much.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2023, 12:31:46 pm »
I like the idea of making this instead of boiling down wort. It means you can make it ahead of time instead of adding another task to brew day.

Does invert and boiled-down wort accomplish the same goal, that is…are the flavors that each adds the same?  Will gravities end the same?

And again, as far as boiling down wort, it’s a very simple process that can be easily done alongside the boil. Maybe my BIAB setup lends itself to doing the boil down or maybe I’m doing it completely wrong, but for me it sure beats another day and another 2, 3, 4 hours of sugar watching.  I’ll acknowledge that you can probably get enough invert for multiple batches however.
but they must be similar.

I'm not sure why you think 2 different things must be similar. In my experience, they are not. I get much more caramel flavor from a boildown.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2023, 01:56:05 pm »
Hmmm... How about making a wort with DME and boiling it down a few days ahead of time? I could do that, and it is a lot simpler than the invert sugar recipe.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Today’s brew
« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2023, 02:10:29 pm »
Ron P’s take on invert: “sugar wasn't used because it was cheaper than malt. It wasn't always. The fact that several different sugars might be used in one beer make it clear that economy wasn't the only reason. If it had been, they would just have used the cheapest form of sugar.

Using all malt, you won't get the same flavour. Brewing invert sugar has a surprisingly complex flavour.”

I agree. This syrup doesn’t taste like simple syrup but I wouldn’t go so far as to say it tastes like caramel. There’s a unique flavor but it’s somewhere in between the two.

Ref: http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2009/06/refined-sugar-vs-invert-sugar.html
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 12:11:53 pm by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2023, 09:36:36 am »
Hmmm... How about making a wort with DME and boiling it down a few days ahead of time? I could do that, and it is a lot simpler than the invert sugar recipe.

Seems like that could work

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

Today’s brew
« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2023, 07:09:56 am »
Re: Imperial Darkness yeast.

I was amazed at how quickly the pitch of Imperial Darkness chewed thru my Scottish 70/-. I saw first signs of fermentation in six hours and full blown fermentation in 10. Starting at 1.035, in 34 hours I was within ~7-10 points of my intended FG so I raised the controller temp from 65° to 70°F to let the yeast take it as high as it wanted to go. It slowly climbed to 70°F over the next five hours and stayed there until I kegged the beer after it flatlined at 1.010 34 hours later. I let it sit to clean up any byproducts for a few hours. It transferred remarkably clear.

Great yeast. I harvested it for use in an upcoming Stout.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 09:24:35 am by BrewBama »

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2023, 06:01:24 am »
Mashing my take on Lee’s Bitter as I type.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2023, 08:24:18 am »
Mashing my take on Lee’s Bitter as I type.

That looks like a winner.

Offline BrewBama

Today’s brew
« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2023, 05:42:54 am »
Mashing a Dark Mild now. By using 1:2 sulfite/chloride ratio, the malted oats, and 158°F mash temp, I am hoping to get more body in this beer.

Edit: this beer scored a 32 at NHC First Round (Indianapolis). Gail Milburn judged this beer.

*Disclaimer*: Any comment I add is simply the way I brew beer. I am not paid or sponsored by anyone. There are certainly other ways that can be equally effective which other brewers may contribute. This is what I’ve found that works for me using my equipment and processes so I offer this for your consideration. YMMV
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 12:02:39 pm by BrewBama »

Offline BrewBama

Today’s brew
« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2023, 07:08:02 am »
A little behind the power curve on getting a Stout ready for St Pat’s but I am going to go ahead and try. I am mashing as I type. Trying something a little different today. We’ll see how it turns out.

Edit: this beer scored a 32 and was awarded 3rd at the table in the AL Brewer’s Cup
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 11:54:22 am by BrewBama »

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2023, 07:55:46 am »
A little behind the power curve on getting a Stout ready for St Pat’s but I am going to go ahead and try. I am mashing as I type. Trying something a little different today. We’ll see how it turns out.

Chocolate Cheerios!!  I love it.  Very interested to hear how it turns out.

But you just wait until Waldorf and Statler find out about this!  They should be around shortly.  ;)

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2023, 08:47:07 am »
We’ll see. (The mash smelled awesome!)

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2023, 08:59:28 am »
I ran an Iron Brewer once with cereal as the secret ingredient. I barely survived the day.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewBama

Today’s brew
« Reply #103 on: February 28, 2023, 09:19:14 am »
I ran an Iron Brewer once with cereal as the secret ingredient. I barely survived the day.

I recently attended a homebrew club meeting with Tommy and Ron. The club has an upcoming ‘brew w/ cereal challenge’ that gave me the idea. (I’m not competing in the challenge). 

Come to think of it: There were some fairly strong beers that evening. It could have been ugly had I not been sipping vs drinking.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 09:30:40 am by BrewBama »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #104 on: February 28, 2023, 09:52:30 am »

I recently attended a homebrew club meeting with Tommy and Ron. The club has an upcoming ‘brew w/ cereal challenge’ that gave me the idea. (I’m not competing in the challenge). 

Come to think of it: There were some fairly strong beers that evening. It could have been ugly had I not been sipping vs drinking.
I have vowed to Uber to and from all future home brew club meetings.