Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Quick disconnects  (Read 7242 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Quick disconnects
« on: September 27, 2010, 07:52:14 pm »
I'm planning to add QD's to my Brutus10 stand. I need to order some very soon and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. 

Any particular online stores? Don't be shy.  8)
Ron Price

Offline hoptomation

• 1st Kit
  • NW Minnesota
Re: Quick disconnects
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 08:13:51 pm »
i've been eye balling the ones at bargainfittings.com
Cheers - Luke

Offline BarleynYeast

• Cellarman
  • Las Vegas, NV
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 08:43:54 pm »
I have been using the More Beer stainless QD, and really like them. There a little pricy but will last for years. http://morebeer.com/view_product/7642/102348/Threaded_Stainless_Steel_Quick_Disconnect_Set_1_set_MPT
Matt

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 05:50:11 am »
I have been using the More Beer stainless QD, and really like them. There a little pricy but will last for years. http://morebeer.com/view_product/7642/102348/Threaded_Stainless_Steel_Quick_Disconnect_Set_1_set_MPT
Matt

Ohhh...I've been eying them as well.  I am leaning towards them but I see alot of stands using brass.

Thanks!
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 05:50:42 am »
i've been eye balling the ones at bargainfittings.com

I'll give them a look see.

Thanks!
Ron Price

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 06:21:23 am »
Be sure to check out:

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=1776.msg21114#msg21114

Other options to consider:

SS Cam lock QD

CPC Poly QD's

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 06:38:21 am »
I'm not sure how much you are wanting to spend but I am using the tri-clamps at the brewery and starting to incorporate them into my homebrew stuff as well. The smallest 1/2" size will fit most homebrew ball valves. They are awesomely awesome!

http://breweryparts.com/index.php/fittings-and-valves/fittings-amp-valves-tri-clamp-174.html

I use all my old polysuphone (sp?) plastic QDCs on the wet side side now. I even have a polysuphone to tri-clap connection for ceaning. Makes like so much easier!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 06:40:25 am by majorvices »

Offline dshepard

• Cellarman
  • Concord, NC
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 08:27:15 am »
I have been using the SS Cam lock QDs and I am very happy with them. They are reasonably priced and if you use the red silicon o-rings ($5.90 for 25 size 210 delivered from Oringsandmore.com) you can attach and remove your tubing with one hand. I took the key-rings and cotter pins off of mine.
Concord, NC

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 08:55:12 am »
Thanks for all of the suggestions.  I have quite a few choices. 
Ron Price

Offline Matt B

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 09:24:57 am »
Also check out prices at McMasterCarr, the 'high flow' ones are the same style as the morebeer stainless QD's. I personally would avoid the CPC ones, they clog and I had problems with the o-rings breaking all the time. I would love to go the triclamp route, but way more pricey, but probably worth it if you're brewing all the time. And while making beer, if the brass ones are significantly cheaper, I would say go that route. The limited exposure to wort won't be enough to leach lead out.

I went the morebeer SS QD route, love 'em. But, I spent a gawdawful amount of money on them. If I were to do it again, I'd go brass.
Cheaper. Less shiny though.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 09:43:55 am »
I drilled the center "corss hairs" out of my CPCs and never had them clog. They are "nice enough", but go stainless if you can.  The CPC ones, while they handle heat well, never felt sanitary. Especially after I drilled them out.

The thing about the Tri Clamps, they are pricey but they will last almost forever if you take care of 'em. And they are truly sanitary.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 10:19:46 am »
I drilled the center "corss hairs" out of my CPCs and never had them clog. They are "nice enough", but go stainless if you can.  The CPC ones, while they handle heat well, never felt sanitary. Especially after I drilled them out.

The thing about the Tri Clamps, they are pricey but they will last almost forever if you take care of 'em. And they are truly sanitary.

I started with SS.  But then at a beer fest in Yakima, saw the demo brew guys were using plastic.  I switched over.  SS get's hot.  (I have a bunch of SS ones to sell, PM me if interested.)

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 10:23:10 am »
Also check out prices at McMasterCarr, the 'high flow' ones are the same style as the morebeer stainless QD's. I personally would avoid the CPC ones, they clog and I had problems with the o-rings breaking all the time. I would love to go the triclamp route, but way more pricey, but probably worth it if you're brewing all the time. And while making beer, if the brass ones are significantly cheaper, I would say go that route. The limited exposure to wort won't be enough to leach lead out.

I went the morebeer SS QD route, love 'em. But, I spent a gawdawful amount of money on them. If I were to do it again, I'd go brass.
Cheaper. Less shiny though.

I never had any clogging issues, but I pulled all of my CPC discos out of service because of the o-rings stretching and breaking. I use ordinary GHT couplings now. It got to the point where I asked myself just how quick I needed these connections to be, and decided that they really didn't.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 10:32:54 am »
Great info. gentlemen.  Keep the ideas coming!
Ron Price

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 10:48:01 am »
That's other nice thing about the Tri Clamps. Sure, the actual fitting itself gets hot. But the crank is always cool enough to touch. That said, thats the one sure advantage of the CPC over the stainless. You can always handle them. But, as was mentioned, keep those O rings handy!