Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sparging  (Read 1061 times)

Offline deckerhand

• Cellarman
Sparging
« on: January 19, 2023, 04:19:32 am »
All my brews have been full volume water with brew in a bag. I really want to give sparking a try. However space is very limited. So after doing some research I have found I could try using room temp water for sparging. Has anyone tried it before ? If so what was your results?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Sparging
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2023, 06:30:48 am »
Room temperature water works just fine for sparging. With BIAB, the only advantage to using heated sparge water is it'll take less time to bring the wort to a boil.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2023, 07:35:35 am »
Room temperature water works just fine for sparging. With BIAB, the only advantage to using heated sparge water is it'll take less time to bring the wort to a boil.
👍👍
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2023, 07:45:21 am »
Agreed. I actually heat my sparge up to around 170 because I value the time saved getting to boil. But it sounds like you value the space more so room temp might be what you should do.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2023, 09:12:35 am »
any particular reason you want to sparge? I batched sparged for years and went to full volume no sparge about 6 years ago and absolutely love it

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2023, 09:30:57 am »
any particular reason you want to sparge? I batched sparged for years and went to full volume no sparge about 6 years ago and absolutely love it

That's what I was wondering, too. If the results fromno sparge are good, why bother? It just adds another set of stuff to deal with.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2023, 06:15:17 pm »

That's what I was wondering, too. If the results fromno sparge are good, why bother? It just adds another set of stuff to deal with.

That's funny coming from the godfather of batch sparging!  But I sent sparging to the same place I sent bottling!

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2023, 07:09:20 pm »
i have switched to a process of hitting a certain mash-in volume of water, leaving it. then doing a mash out water to hit high 160s if not 170F, letting that sit for 10 mins and draining it all into kettle. i find it is just less hassle than my previous mashout - empty then sparge the drained grain and im actually getting a more consistent efficiency.

i dont really care about high efficiency too much anymore just that i am always hitting a consistent efficiency, which i am with this process. if you wanted to do single total desired volume infusion and drain you should try it. time saved is so worth it.

if i do an overnight mash which ive tried a few times now, i can get down to something like 2.5 hours of active brewing time to make 20 litres of beer. this is going to be my go-to for producing basic, simple beers like a pils or pale ale from now on i think. i tried to explain this on another internet forum and instantly got a ton of low level experienced "experts" saying that i was full of it. there was such a negative backlash i didnt even want to give the details on the process.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 07:11:50 pm by fredthecat »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2023, 08:57:24 am »

I still pretty much batch sparge with my GF.

That's funny coming from the godfather of batch sparging!  But I sent sparging to the same place I sent bottling!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Skeeter686

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2023, 03:00:06 pm »

I still pretty much batch sparge with my GF.

This really made me laugh the first time I read it and misinterpreted "GF" as "girlfriend". 

Sent from my SM-X700 using Tapatalk