Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Candi Syrup Substitute  (Read 4289 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Candi Syrup Substitute
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2023, 09:07:37 am »
Probably too late for the current batch, but I found this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25ohU8GfAJk&t=444s) to be a pretty useful source of information when making my own "Belgian Candi Sugar". It does seem kind of confusing at times - be sure to read all of the follow-on posts and comments.

this video despite being fairly old seems p good in content, but i get insanely nervous just watching sugar boil. sounds unnecessary but for anyone who stumbles across this:

WARNING: SUGAR GETS MUCH MUCH HOTTER THAN WATER AND CAN BE UNPREDICTABLE.

i feel safer looking at a steel forge bring poured than this molten sugar.
I have gotten some of my worse burns in professional kitchens making carmel. Not only is it hotter than boiling water but it sticks to the skin.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2023, 09:28:14 am »
I used to use candy syrup in my Tripel, but Denny told me that there was no real difference between it and ordinary table sugar.  Using table sugar saved me a lot of money and there was no difference in the taste of the beer.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Fire Rooster

Fire Rooster

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2023, 10:20:26 am »
I used to use candy syrup in my Tripel, but Denny told me that there was no real difference between it and ordinary table sugar.  Using table sugar saved me a lot of money and there was no difference in the taste of the beer.

Good to know.
When do you add the sugar in your Tripel ?
,and how much ?

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 10:23:09 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2023, 10:27:53 am »

Good to know.
,and how much ?

Thanks

I add it with about 10 min. left in the boil. I pull some wort and stir it into the sugar first so it dissolves easily.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Fire Rooster

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2023, 10:52:16 am »

Good to know.
,and how much ?

Thanks

I add it with about 10 min. left in the boil. I pull some wort and stir it into the sugar first so it dissolves easily.

Besides ABV, what does it do for the beer ?

Thanks

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2023, 11:32:22 am »

Good to know.
,and how much ?

Thanks

Besides ABV, what does it do for the beer ?

Thanks

Reduces the body. Makes the beer what the Belgians call "digestible". My tripel uses table sugar as 20% of total fermentables

www.dennybrew.com

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2023, 05:35:33 pm »
ok, so on the topic of homemade "candi syrup" and sugars

does anyone have flavour descriptions for pattinson style invert sugar?

Im interested in using some, but what will i get from it? i tried googling even on other forums and couldnt find a flavour profile especially homemade invert ie. cook it in the oven at 240F for 2 hours

would love info on this

edit: WARNING some people on this link are saying the oven method is potentially dangerous

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/brewers-invert-sugar.93472/page-2

nice flavour description "dry, sort of funny taste" wow thats helpful lol, though they do say it is not toffeeish/caramelly

edit 2: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/made-simple-invert-sugars-jeff-alworths-method.628857/

this guy, who i recall from this forum being pretty legit has some good descriptions and he recorded his perceptions of taste of cooking piloncillo. ive always wanted to use latin american/south american compressed raw sugar but havent. the one i got tastes really good but has a hint of anise to it which i have been too worried about getting in 20 litres of beer. if youve ever drank a lot of ouzo you may know what i mean.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 05:46:59 pm by fredthecat »

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2023, 09:56:59 pm »

Im interested in using some, but what will i get from it? i tried googling even on other forums and couldnt find a flavour profile especially homemade invert ie. cook it in the oven at 240F for 2 hours

would love info on this

edit: WARNING some people on this link are saying the oven method is potentially dangerous

nice flavour description "dry, sort of funny taste" wow thats helpful lol, though they do say it is not toffeeish/caramelly

edit 2: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/made-simple-invert-sugars-jeff-alworths-method.628857/

this guy, who i recall from this forum being pretty legit has some good descriptions and he recorded his perceptions of taste of cooking piloncillo. ive always wanted to use latin american/south american compressed raw sugar but havent. the one i got tastes really good but has a hint of anise to it which i have been too worried about getting in 20 litres of beer. if youve ever drank a lot of ouzo you may know what i mean.

British brewing syrups are different from Belgian syrups. Those British syrups are designed to lighten the beer and add color but not really flavor in the same way as Belgian syrups. I would not use them interchangeably.

I've tried using piloncillo in beers and never liked the results. I've tried some commercial beers with it that were ok at best. Piloncillo is kinda all over the map in quality. Some of the more refined varieties are closer to date sugar. Some are more coarse and add a lot of minerality in the beer, especially if you try to boil it down into a thick syrup. Never had any taste close to Belgian syrups.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2023, 11:01:53 am »

would love info on this

British brewing syrups are different from Belgian syrups. Those British syrups are designed to lighten the beer and add color but not really flavor in the same way as Belgian syrups. I would not use them interchangeably.

I've tried using piloncillo in beers and never liked the results. I've tried some commercial beers with it that were ok at best. Piloncillo is kinda all over the map in quality. Some of the more refined varieties are closer to date sugar. Some are more coarse and add a lot of minerality in the beer, especially if you try to boil it down into a thick syrup. Never had any taste close to Belgian syrups.

I use a lot of the Beckers invert syrups that AiH sells, and they definitely add flavor. I think there would be a color difference, but Invert #2 would probably pass for D-45 in a blind tasting at 10% of the fermentables. I don't know if Invert #3 would quite pass for D-90 (it is in a similar flavor ballpark), but it might be close enough in a pinch. The darker syrups (D180/D240) are certainly a whole different animal, and I doubt you could get there with a traditional British-style invert.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2023, 09:20:29 am »

Good to know.
,and how much ?

Thanks

I have done that as well.  But a lot of times I stir it in slowly about halfway through the boil so I don't scorch it.  As Denny said, it dissolves pretty easily in hot wort.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2023, 10:11:02 am »

would love info on this

Could be dangerous, I never found where that was explained.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2023, 11:12:41 am »
I use a lot of the Beckers invert syrups that AiH sells, and they definitely add flavor. I think there would be a color difference, but Invert #2 would probably pass for D-45 in a blind tasting at 10% of the fermentables. I don't know if Invert #3 would quite pass for D-90 (it is in a similar flavor ballpark), but it might be close enough in a pinch. The darker syrups (D180/D240) are certainly a whole different animal, and I doubt you could get there with a traditional British-style invert.

That's fair. I tend to forget they make lighter syrups that are more akin to British syrups.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2023, 11:52:24 am »

That's fair. I tend to forget they make lighter syrups that are more akin to British syrups.
D-45 in particular is underappreciated. It adds a bit of color and a light toffee flavor without leaving any extra body or residual sweetness. I've used it in Belgian Pale Ales and DIPA's to kind of take the place of a low-color crystal malt and still get high attenuation.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer