Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: All Citra hop recipe I found  (Read 3721 times)

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
Re: All Citra hop recipe I found
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2023, 10:12:20 am »
Yes. And there is a setting for that in Brewfather. I think is a default and should already be accounting for the difference in your ultimate batch size.
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2023, 12:16:10 pm »
Quick update. Most of the activity in the airlock has completed. It has been in the bucket in my closet for 8 days, so I thought I would give it a gravity and taste test. Here is what I found:

Gravity: 1.003 which, given the 1.052 OG puts me at about 6.4 ABV. Not bad.

Taste test: Grapefruit lemon and citrus, finished a bit dry though. Warm and uncarbonated it didn't taste bad. I am hoping once it is carbonated and cold it will be ever better.

Next step: Take another reading on Tuesday or Wednesday and add dry hops. If all goes well, kegging or bottling will take place either Saturday or Sunday morning.

I know I missed my OG number, but the yeast did it's thing and put me in the right ABV range, so I am pretty happy there. Might adjust the grain bill next time to get my OG up a bit.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2023, 12:51:58 pm »
Quick update. Most of the activity in the airlock has completed. It has been in the bucket in my closet for 8 days, so I thought I would give it a gravity and taste test. Here is what I found:

Taste test: Grapefruit lemon and citrus, finished a bit dry though. Warm and uncarbonated it didn't taste bad. I am hoping once it is carbonated and cold it will be ever better.

Next step: Take another reading on Tuesday or Wednesday and add dry hops. If all goes well, kegging or bottling will take place either Saturday or Sunday morning.

I know I missed my OG number, but the yeast did it's thing and put me in the right ABV range, so I am pretty happy there. Might adjust the grain bill next time to get my OG up a bit.
How are you checking your gravities - hydrometer or refractometer? Have they been calibrated? I have a hard time picturing BRY-07 taking a beer down from 1.052 to 1.003. There aren't too many yeast strains that will finish with a FG that low.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2023, 01:31:13 pm »

How are you checking your gravities - hydrometer or refractometer? Have they been calibrated? I have a hard time picturing BRY-07 taking a beer down from 1.052 to 1.003. There aren't too many yeast strains that will finish with a FG that low.

Hydrometer.  Checked it twice just to make sure   my wife was right behind me.  One and a half lines below 1.000 is 1.003 to me, right?  I have checked the hydrometer in room temp water and it has read 1.000, so I think I am good.  Now you have me wondering if I screwed something up?  I was feeling pretty good about it to.  LOL.  Oh well, it is what it is.  I will check it Tuesday or Wednesday and see where I am. 

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2023, 02:30:27 pm »

Hydrometer.  Checked it twice just to make sure   my wife was right behind me.  One and a half lines below 1.000 is 1.003 to me, right?  I have checked the hydrometer in room temp water and it has read 1.000, so I think I am good.  Now you have me wondering if I screwed something up?  I was feeling pretty good about it to.  LOL.  Oh well, it is what it is.  I will check it Tuesday or Wednesday and see where I am.

Was there sugar in this recipe?  I agree that 94% attenuation from BRY97 is near impossible, assuming you did use BRY97.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2023, 09:34:15 pm »
No sugar and yes it was Bry97.  Don't know what to say, I recorded the numbers as I saw them. 

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2023, 05:10:38 pm »
As a somewhat final post to this threat, I kegged it and put the pressure to it.  about 12psi for about a week.  I got curious so I pulled a small amount.  Granted it is not quite carbed up yet, my observations are as follows: 

The aroma hit me right away.  Very citrus smelling.  Not bad, but pretty strong. 
Taste test was a very grapefruit lemon taste to it.  Not bad, but very strong.  Had a crisp finish to it as well. 

All in all, not a bad brew for a person who likes a more hop forward beer, in my opinion.  I will do it again, but up the grain bill to see if I can get a bit closer to my OG number.  Also, might experiment with adding some hops to the boil to try and difuse the Citra and balance it out a bit.  I might use some of my home grown stuff, or add Amarillo to the boil late and see if that might adjust the taste a bit. 

All in all, a drinkable beer to me.  I like the more hop forward taste and the clean crisp finish.  Is it an IPA?  Beats me.  Is it a tasty beer in my opinion?  Sure.  So I guess I can say it was a success even though I did not hit the numbers I was hoping for.  I will try it again and make a few adjustments, but all in all, not a bad beer.  Rock ON!!!!!!!!!

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2023, 04:13:27 pm »
Congrats- you brewed a beer that you are happy with and that's what matters in the end, right?  Gravity numbers won't tell you if you like the beer!

That said, you can always put your hydrometer in some water to ensure it's reading 1.000 as it should.  If it's not, then your gravity readings are too.
Rock on!

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2023, 05:23:04 pm »
…  Gravity numbers won't tell you if you like the beer!

+1. We don’t drink numbers.