Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Motueka Hops  (Read 698 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Motueka Hops
« on: May 27, 2023, 10:45:22 pm »
Greetings to all,

Was perusing threads earlier today in another forum and ran into one that mentioned Motueka hops. Did a little researching and found they might be good as a late addition to an IPA or Pale ale. I guess my question is, has anybody used them and what did they bring to the party? I am in search of new stuff to try, not because I have gotten good at what I have done so far, but just kinda curious. Anybody with any recipes they would be willing to share that has used those hops? I am mostly an IPA drinker, but Pale Ale's and other Ale styles are cool too. I had a black IPA that was awesome, so if that is a possibility I am willing to check it out.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Motueka Hops
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2023, 04:54:59 am »
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2023, 05:45:05 am »
I like them. IN the beer's I have used them in I got more of a chardonnay character with some lime hints. It was thiolized yeast though

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2023, 09:25:33 am »
Motueka is a neat hop in that is a daughter of Saaz, and you definitely pick up that spicy note in the flavor profile at typical lager hopping rates. Once you push it to higher hopping rates you start to pick up a cool lime zest character on top of the herbal/spicy noble-hop character. I will say that it isn't going to give you that saturated citrus character that you get from typical IPA hops. It works great as a single hop in something like a Pale Ale, or in a lager if you are looking for some non-traditional hop flavors. I don't think it excels as the main hop in an IPA, but it's a great accent hop when added to something like Nelson Sauvin, Galaxy, Vic Secret, etc.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2023, 09:12:38 pm »
Motueka is a neat hop in that is a daughter of Saaz, and you definitely pick up that spicy note in the flavor profile at typical lager hopping rates. Once you push it to higher hopping rates you start to pick up a cool lime zest character on top of the herbal/spicy noble-hop character. I will say that it isn't going to give you that saturated citrus character that you get from typical IPA hops. It works great as a single hop in something like a Pale Ale, or in a lager if you are looking for some non-traditional hop flavors. I don't think it excels as the main hop in an IPA, but it's a great accent hop when added to something like Nelson Sauvin, Galaxy, Vic Secret, etc.

Cool.  I have been experimenting with a Pale Ale using Citra and now Mosaic.  Might try one with the Motueka and see what I get.  Thanks.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2023, 09:05:39 am »
Not sure, but I believe Motueka was called NZ saaz when it first came out.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2023, 10:37:06 am »

Yep. It is Saaz parentage. That's probably why it makes a good hop for thiolizedbeers, which is all I have use dit in.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2023, 03:41:57 pm »

Yep. It is Saaz parentage. That's probably why it makes a good hop for thiolizedbeers, which is all I have use dit in.

I recall using it many years ago when we first got it at the homebrew shop, because of the name at the time (NZ saaz) I used it like I would saaz, basically a couple ounces with 20 minutes left in the boil of a ligther beer. I wasnt very impressed, it gave off a weird gummy bear fruitiness that I didnt like. Clearly I wasnt using it right, as its now a very popular IPA hop.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2023, 06:52:57 pm »
I would say it is definitely different. The last beer I brewed with it was a "Cold IPA" at the tap room (it was a commercially produced beer). Many people loved it but, to some, it was off-putting. I happened to love it.