Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The most boring part of brewing  (Read 3139 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: The most boring part of brewing
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2023, 05:24:32 am »
I hate bottling.  As a small batch brewer, I never really had great options, until... now I have three 1-gallon uKeg Go's that fit on one shelf in my refrigerator.  I still bottle often enough, but find it very pleasurable when it's a day I can keg most or all of it.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2023, 06:01:18 am »
Clean up

Fortunately that's one of the faster and easier parts for me.

Or maybe you just aren't as lazy and sloppy as me!  ;)

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2023, 06:49:12 am »
Clean up. . . .

I dunno — I find clean up kind of soothing ... restoring order out of chaos in at least one small corner of the universe.

I'd go with waiting for the wort to chill ... that interminable gap where everything's done but you still can't pitch the yeast yet. That's the most boring part.

The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2023, 08:12:54 am »
Yeah, cleanup is mildly annoying because you just want to be done at that point but it signals the end of the brewday.  I try to frame all of it with "this is a hobby that I enjoy" and I also want to brew when I am feeling it .. if that makes sense.  If I have an open weekend and my first thought is that I'll brew Friday evening but I'm just not feeling it, I push it off so I'm in a better frame of mind.  Talking about beer, seeing a video with a brewer in the brewhouse, etc., I get the urge to brew.  Other times not so much so I try to keep it all positive so that all pieces of the process are enjoyable.  Except chilling.  Chilling is the worst.  :D
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2023, 08:13:52 am »
Definitely cleanup for me.  It usually takes me an hour or so to complete the job, although it is nice to be recirculating caustic through my mash tun RIMS system while the boils is going to clean that part of the brew system.

Cleaning up thee kettle, pump, and the plate chiller after transferring the wort to the kettle takes most of the time at the end since I run caustic through that part of the system for about a half hour before rinsing.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2023, 09:57:20 am »
During chilling is when I rack the prior fermented beer to keg and harvest the yeast, if applicable, for pitching into the just brewed batch.  Then I clean and sanitize the prior fermenter and by then it is usually ready for accepting the chilled wort transfer.  I brew very frequently, so making brews back to back is convenient for me.

Occasionally I don't have a beer to rack, in which case, I sanitize the waiting fermenter and wait on the immersion chiller to reach pitching temperature...and, yeah, that is boring.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2023, 01:05:26 pm »
During chilling is when I rack the prior fermented beer to keg and harvest the yeast, if applicable, for pitching into the just brewed batch.  Then I clean and sanitize the prior fermenter and by then it is usually ready for accepting the chilled wort transfer.  I brew very frequently, so making brews back to back is convenient for me.

Occasionally I don't have a beer to rack, in which case, I sanitize the waiting fermenter and wait on the immersion chiller to reach pitching temperature...and, yeah, that is boring.
I always stir while I'm chilling so it will go faster.  I hate the concept of the wort being vulnerable for any longer than possible.  But that's me, my kettle and a 25' stainless immersion chiller. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2023, 09:42:22 am »
Driving the 4 hours to my LHBS.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2023, 05:50:56 pm »
For me, the most boring part of brewing is the time spent carbonating and conditioning the beer. I know there are ways to speed carbonation, but they don’t also speed the maturation process. I want instant gratification, but it’s better to wait.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2023, 07:12:18 pm »
Driving the 4 hours to my LHBS.

Yeesh. At that distance, I think you've lost L from your LHBS.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2023, 07:32:16 am »
For me, the most boring part of brewing is the time spent carbonating and conditioning the beer. I know there are ways to speed carbonation, but they don’t also speed the maturation process. I want instant gratification, but it’s better to wait.
Loosely-related tangent:  When I make a beer on brewday, it's because I envision this beer and I really want to sample it NOW.  But of course it's going to be awhile.  Meanwhile the kegs that are "on-deck" and ready to go to the taps are the beers that I envisioned however many months ago and I wanted to taste them THEN.  :D  It's a never-ending cycle of wanting something that you can't have for months down the road but still .. when I take a cold, carbed keg from the on-deck fridge and get it on tap, the desire to have that beer comes back. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2023, 03:18:34 pm »
Truth be told, the brewing process itself is all kind of boring to me. I like formulating the recipes, and drinking the results.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2023, 07:36:13 am »

Agreed!  I can carbonate the beer and drink it the next day (15-20 PSI at 35 degrees overnight), but the maturation takes a while and the first glasses out always taste very young.  It clears up in about 5 days though so I put up with it.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Online Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2023, 08:38:58 am »
Truth be told, the brewing process itself is all kind of boring to me. I like formulating the recipes, and drinking the results.

Interesting.

I find brew day relaxing, almost therapeutic, and it is easily my favorite part of the hobby.  Cleaning, well...I'll make a virtue of necessity with good tunes or a podcast.

The beer is a bonus!

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2023, 11:59:09 am »
Cleaning kegs has it hands down for me. I generally stack up 6 or 7 kegs and do them at the same time to save on chemicals.

1) Dump
  2) Disassemble
  3) Rinse
  4) Fill w/ PBW
  5) Soak
  6) Repeat 1,2,3 (racking PBW to next keg), 4, and 5
  7) Rinse
  8) Let drip dry
  9) Reassemble
  10) Continue until all kegs are done.

I can also second the 4 your round trip to my "Local" Homebrew Supply Store.  Closest LHBS since our last one closed a few years ago.

Paul

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?