Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The most boring part of brewing  (Read 3141 times)

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
Re: The most boring part of brewing
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2023, 08:00:42 pm »
Cleaning bottles is the worst.  Especially if they already have labels on them,  Getting the glue off an be such a pain.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2023, 09:04:47 am »
cleaning kegs. I just hate it

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2023, 03:46:48 pm »
Cleaning bottles is the worst.  Especially if they already have labels on them,  Getting the glue off an be such a pain.

Soak in an Oxyclean solution. Labels fall off and glue softens and is easily scrubbed off.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2023, 12:48:13 pm »
For me it's bottling. I would have switched to kegging a long time ago if I had a practical way to manage it in my house. Believe it or not, my bottling day is five hours including clean-up. I know that's a really long bottling day, but it is what it is.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2023, 04:17:09 pm »
Now do we need a thread about the BEST part of brewing?  :D  I'm surprised Denny said "Milling grain".  I don't really mind it but I just (recently) bought Mighty Mill and it's been a real joy to use.  Five minutes with my new toy and it's back on the shelf until next time. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2023, 05:42:00 pm »
For me it's bottling. I would have switched to kegging a long time ago if I had a practical way to manage it in my house. Believe it or not, my bottling day is five hours including clean-up. I know that's a really long bottling day, but it is what it is.
Not sure what type of capper you use, but I recently switched from a double lever capper to a bench capper and found it saves me some time. Specifically, I purchased the one from Anvil. The long base makes it very sturdy so there is no tipping.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2023, 07:48:14 am »
Not sure what type of capper you use, but I recently switched from a double lever capper to a bench capper and found it saves me some time. Specifically, I purchased the one from Anvil. The long base makes it very sturdy so there is no tipping.
Yes, I use a bench capper. It's really not the equipment or the process - it's just me. A good hour and a half is clean-up, so obviously I'm just slow.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2023, 08:00:29 am »
Now do we need a thread about the BEST part of brewing?  :D  I'm surprised Denny said "Milling grain".  I don't really mind it but I just (recently) bought Mighty Mill and it's been a real joy to use.  Five minutes with my new toy and it's back on the shelf until next time.

I wrote that after milling 35 lb for an upcoming batch. It was boring!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2023, 08:46:11 am »
Cleaning kegs has it hands down for me. I generally stack up 6 or 7 kegs and do them at the same time to save on chemicals.

1) Dump
  2) Disassemble
  3) Rinse
  4) Fill w/ PBW
  5) Soak
  6) Repeat 1,2,3 (racking PBW to next keg), 4, and 5
  7) Rinse
  8) Let drip dry
  9) Reassemble
  10) Continue until all kegs are done.

I can also second the 4 your round trip to my "Local" Homebrew Supply Store.  Closest LHBS since our last one closed a few years ago.

Paul

Paul

I just saw this one, Paul.  Yup cleaning kegs is a PITA and unfortunately I let them accumulate until I have about 6 to do before cleaning them.  I do everything the same except I use a dairy milk tank cleaner a brush to scrub the kegs, rinse three times, then pressurize with CO2 for storage.  When it comes time to keg, I fill the keg with sanitizer (Saniclean because it doesn't foam) and push the sanitizer out of the keg with CO2.  But the whole process is a PITA.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2023, 08:48:48 am »
Not gonna lie - If I could I'd skip everything between recipe formulation and mashing in, and between pitching and drinking finished beer.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2023, 09:14:42 am »
Not gonna lie - If I could I'd skip everything between recipe formulation and mashing in, and between pitching and drinking finished beer.

Amen!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2023, 09:19:00 am »
Cleaning kegs has it hands down for me. I generally stack up 6 or 7 kegs and do them at the same time to save on chemicals.

1) Dump
  2) Disassemble
  3) Rinse
  4) Fill w/ PBW
  5) Soak
  6) Repeat 1,2,3 (racking PBW to next keg), 4, and 5
  7) Rinse
  8) Let drip dry
  9) Reassemble
  10) Continue until all kegs are done.

I can also second the 4 your round trip to my "Local" Homebrew Supply Store.  Closest LHBS since our last one closed a few years ago.

Paul

Paul

I just saw this one, Paul.  Yup cleaning kegs is a PITA and unfortunately I let them accumulate until I have about 6 to do before cleaning them.  I do everything the same except I use a dairy milk tank cleaner a brush to scrub the kegs, rinse three times, then pressurize with CO2 for storage.  When it comes time to keg, I fill the keg with sanitizer (Saniclean because it doesn't foam) and push the sanitizer out of the keg with CO2.  But the whole process is a PITA.

Not gonna lie, I don't bother disassembling kegs unless there's a problem. They just get dumped/rinsed quick, followed by PBW, Star San, and refill with beer. I also use the keg to run the PBW and Star San through my beer lines at the same time. I don't keep full kegs laying around though. I generally pull a keg off the kegerator, then clean and refill it the same day. I'm sure I'm rolling the dice, but I've been doing this for 7 or 8 years now and haven't had an issue yet.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Skeeter686

• Cellarman
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2023, 04:52:05 pm »
Yup cleaning kegs is a PITA and unfortunately I let them accumulate until I have about 6 to do before cleaning them.

Not gonna lie, I don't bother disassembling kegs unless there's a problem. They just get dumped/rinsed quick, followed by PBW, Star San, and refill with beer. I also use the keg to run the PBW and Star San through my beer lines at the same time. I don't keep full kegs laying around though. I generally pull a keg off the kegerator, then clean and refill it the same day. I'm sure I'm rolling the dice, but I've been doing this for 7 or 8 years now and haven't had an issue yet.

I also save up several so that I can knock out multiple kegs at a time.  I do not disassemble at each cleaning, but I have my kegs numbered so that I can do a more thorough disassembly, inspection and cleaning every third or fourth time.

Offline Rudy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2023, 05:28:26 pm »
I enjoy the whole process because I know what is waiting for me at the end.

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2023, 05:09:31 pm »
Cleaning up. It's at the end of a long brew day. Reminds me of playing sports. Stand around not doing much and, then, I'm busy.