Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The most boring part of brewing  (Read 3140 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
The most boring part of brewing
« on: July 19, 2023, 01:53:05 pm »
No matter how you brew, everybody probably has a part of the process they find boring. For me, it's milling grain. I'd almost hire somebody to do it for me! Well, not really,  but you get the idea. How about you?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 02:05:07 pm by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline riceral

• Brewer
Re: The most boring part of brewing
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2023, 02:09:28 pm »
Clean up. An important aspect but Damn! I think it's the most boring part of the brew day
Ralph R.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2023, 02:20:50 pm »
Since I mill the grains the night before, the most boring part of my brew-day is waiting for the mash water to heat up.  On my kitchen stove, that's about 40 minutes.  Besides making a cup of coffee, there is absolutely nothing for me to do, not even anything to clean.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2023, 02:34:58 pm »
Whirlpool hops. The boil is complete, I cool just slightly to X°, add hops, recirculate, and ….wait…. …forever… until I can cool to pitch temp.   BORING!

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2023, 02:39:38 pm »
Chilling.  I hate it.  I sit there with an SS immersion chiller and stir until I get the temp down.  Depending on the season and temp of ground water, the timeframe can vary but I hate just sitting there stirring!

Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2023, 02:40:29 pm »
Not so much boring, but a real PITA is soaking items in acid bath to remove beerstone/oxalate.  I use dairy milkstone remover and leave it in solution contact for about a week and it comes off easily, but if rushed, it is a real pain to try to scrub off the scale.  I tend to rinse out several vessels with a 2 or 3 gallon diluted batch treated in succession and dump the used solution after the last one,  so tying up the solution for a couple weeks or more is typical.  I try to catch it very early on, but every once in a while I get a couple three vessels or items on which it has collected.  This past weekend I noticed some on a Tilt hydrometer, so it will be next up on the regimen...but first I need to make sure that the housing is able to handle either a soak (a day or so at most) or a wipe down (which may be enough with a pass or two).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Skeeter686

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2023, 04:02:53 pm »
Clean up. An important aspect but Damn! I think it's the most boring part of the brew day

I'm right there with you! 

My wife usually helps and it's still my least favorite part of the day.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2023, 04:09:23 pm »
Clean up

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2023, 04:30:08 pm »
Whirlpool hops. The boil is complete, I cool just slightly to X°, add hops, recirculate, and ….wait…. …forever… until I can cool to pitch temp.   BORING!

I am SO with you! I've stopped doing them for that reason.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2023, 04:31:21 pm »
Clean up

Fortunately that's one of the faster and easier parts for me.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2023, 04:37:03 pm »

chilling the wort absolutely. i dont have a very good wort chiller, though it DOES work, but honestly it takes about 30 minutes and i need to stand there since i actually never was able to make a great seal on the attachment point. i did try, but i should try again harder one day

Not so much boring, but a real PITA is soaking items in acid bath to remove beerstone/oxalate.  I use dairy milkstone remover and leave it in solution contact for about a week and it comes off easily, but if rushed, it is a real pain to try to scrub off the scale.  I tend to rinse out several vessels with a 2 or 3 gallon diluted batch treated in succession and dump the used solution after the last one,  so tying up the solution for a couple weeks or more is typical.  I try to catch it very early on, but every once in a while I get a couple three vessels or items on which it has collected.  This past weekend I noticed some on a Tilt hydrometer, so it will be next up on the regimen...but first I need to make sure that the housing is able to handle either a soak (a day or so at most) or a wipe down (which may be enough with a pass or two).

absolutely, and a very important step, it sounds like you mean stainless steel beerstone, but for me also carboy scrubbing/PBWing etc

Clean up

same for brewday cleanup, except for the part i mentioned above which is a sort of delayed cleanup

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2023, 06:13:10 pm »
Clean up

+1

Cleanup takes me 15 minutes, tops.  Very easy. Of course, with my setup, I don’t really have much to clean. 

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2023, 06:44:30 pm »
For me, chilling is OK because I can walk away. I sometimes run quick errands during chilling because t takes a while.
The most boring part is watching the wort come to a boil. I have to stand there as it heats for the last ten degrees to make sure it doesn't boil over. It's all over if I step away for a second.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

huckdavidson

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2023, 08:13:14 pm »
Deoxygenating strike water is absolutely the worst for me.  No matter if boiling/cooling or using YOS.  But it's even worse because it may or may not even be necessary, I haven't decided yet.  :-\

To be honest most tasks or steps in the brewing process unavoidably take time and are "boring"... brewing with someone usually makes it less tedious.

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2023, 04:28:09 am »
Cleaning is the most boring thing and waiting for the boil is the 2nd most boring for me.