Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cooking Magazine or Beer  (Read 1258 times)

Offline tbehm

• 1st Kit
Cooking Magazine or Beer
« on: July 28, 2023, 10:40:22 am »
Absolutely hate the You can Ferment This Section, if you are bored writing about beer get another job.  This is a beer magazine and should be about beer. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Cooking Magazine or Beer
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2023, 10:43:57 am »
Absolutely hate the You can Ferment This Section, if you are bored writing about beer get another job.  This is a beer magazine and should be about beer.

You have no idea how many times I've heard this in the last 25. It's a small section of the magazine. Don't read those pages if you don't like them. What about all the people who want that info? Should they be denied just because you're annoyed?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2023, 11:48:04 am »
Many of us enjoy fermenting things other than beer. As Denny states, it's a small section of the magazine. It's your choice whether to read it or not. I enjoy fermenting and eating hot sauces, sauerkraut, kimchi, and various vegetables and look forward to the You Can Ferment section, as do many others. I don't care for sour beers or NEIPAs, but you won't see me complaining about them. We all have different tastes and Zymurgy is becoming more inclusive. Not a bad thing IMO.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2023, 11:57:31 am »
FWIW, upcoming episodes of Experimental Brewing will include sourdough baking and fermented hot sauce.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2023, 12:16:07 pm »
FWIW, upcoming episodes of Experimental Brewing will include sourdough baking and fermented hot sauce.

Fermenting Hot Sauce could be very interesting. 

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2023, 03:35:45 pm »

Fermenting hot sauce is great! Here is a link to one site I have used. All kinds of recipes.
https://farmsteady.com/blogs/field-guide/recipe-mango-habanero-fermented-hot-sauce?_pos=34&_sid=635bc4512&_ss=r

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2023, 03:52:23 pm »

MoreBeer sells kits for fermenting various foods, including hot sauce: https://www.morebeer.com/category/pop-cultures.html?ref=4C

We bought our son one of the hot sauce kits a couple of years ago. The result was very tasty, and quite hot. It made something like 2 liters, which took us a long time to work through even though we like spicy food.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2023, 11:06:15 am »
Awesome.  Going to check it out.  And to get back on topic, I see no reason to have different subjects in the magazine.  To me, it breaks things up a bit and I enjoy it.  Most of the beer articles go over my head anyway.  LOL. 

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2023, 01:46:12 pm »
"...fermented hot sauce"? Wasn't there already an article/recipe on this subject?

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2023, 09:21:47 pm »
I, too, like the articles on other fermentations and cooking and such.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2023, 08:08:58 am »
I threw my last issue in the trash after flipping through it once. I believe I have only kept one issue this calendar year.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2023, 02:03:34 pm »
Download the digital edition of the magazine.

AHA possible to have an index covering a number of years? This would greatly speed up searching for something in a past issue of the magazine.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2023, 05:18:48 am »

After losing a few batches to mold 😡, I just made my first two successful batches of fermented hot sauce. And we did kimchi with my son earlier this year for a school project.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2023, 05:22:07 am »

I’ll second this ^^^^^
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Online Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2023, 06:39:57 am »
Just put up a small batch this past Saturday. Had a few Jalapenos, Serranos and Chilis de Arbol that ripened early, so chopped them up a bit and put them in a 4% brine. Also have Habanero and Poblano plants, so will be fermenting some interesting blends as they all ripen. I've been using these for a couple of years now with great results:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0789P6X32/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&th=1

Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV