Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BIAB with 30 minute mash and 30 minute boil  (Read 472 times)

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
BIAB with 30 minute mash and 30 minute boil
« on: December 26, 2023, 11:38:13 am »
I’m looking into getting back into all grain brewing, but for a couple of reasons I need to keep a relatively short brew day. I’m looking at doing 2.5 gallon BIAB batches. The Brulosophy “Short & Shoddy” method could keep the brew day short enough, but I don’t know about the beer quality. The main short cuts are a 30 minute mash and 25 – 30 minute boil. Their descriptions of the resulting beer are generally positive, but sometimes with a phrase like “especially knowing it only took a couple hours to brew.”

I’m happy with the quality of my extract beer, but I would like to have more flexibility in ingredients and beer styles. Due to the constraints, my options are 1) Stay with extract only (no specialty grains) or 2) Go with BIAB with 30 minute mash and 30 minute boil. I’d like to hear some opinions about whether the abbreviated  process would yield at least as good quality as extract brewing.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: BIAB with 30 minute mash and 30 minute boil
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2023, 12:18:22 pm »
In Simple Homebrewing,  I talk about doing a 20 min mash/20 min boil. I average 75% efficiency and the beer was the same as made by traditional methods.  I discovered that I generally had to increase bittering hops by 50% to account for the shorter boil.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2023, 01:13:29 pm »
I mash in a bag for usually about 90 minutes, lauter (no sparge), and boil for 30 min.

A few Summers ago I kept track of my mash specific gravity. Based on my results I use 90 min total.  Since I am not going to sparge I get a few more points by using the xtra time. I usually add dark grains at the 30 minute to go mark.

For the entire 90 min, I recirculate thru a water bath to maintain temp (HERMS).

I like the results of just using 1st runnings.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2023, 01:51:06 pm »
I find I get more reliable good efficiency with a 40-minute mash. But other than that, go for it!!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2023, 02:28:20 pm »
I was just going to add that I read the book Denny and Drew wrote, at least in the process of, and the part about cutting the mash and boil time really intrigued me.  I am still new, so I follow the traditional rules, but to be able to cut the time spent by almost and hour and a half is sure tempting. 

By the way, it is a good book for those who like a simple, easy read and not too technical like the Palmer book that I got about halfway thru and realized I was more confused than ever.  LOL. 

Offline BrewnWKopperKat

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2023, 04:34:16 am »
a relatively short brew day.
In addition to Simple Homebrewing, there are two HomeBewCon seminars from 2017/2018 that I found to be good sources for ideas to shorten the brewing session: "Brewing When You Have No Time" /1/ and "It’s a Sprint: Brewing Beer Faster" /2/.   Some techniques reduce the total amount of time it takes to make the beer; other techniques move the time/effort to the day before or the day after.

Back in 2018 / 2019, I tried a couple of shorter brew days for some "standard strength" American ale recipes.  I ended up at 30/30 (mash/boil) for APAs and 45/45 (or 45/60) for browns.  (aside, but perhaps related: my best barley wines have been 60/120 vs "re-iterative mash" or adding DME). 

I'll suggest starting with a 45/30 (mash/boil) schedule for an APA/IPA. Use a high DP base malt (probably not Maris Otter or Golden Promise) and go light on the specialty malts.  A pH measurement and/or iodine test may be useful.

-----

/1/ https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/seminar/brewing-when-you-have-no-time-getting-more-out-of-your-limited-brewing-time/

/2/ https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/seminar/its-a-sprint-brewing-beer-faster/

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2023, 01:20:21 pm »
You've just described my standard all-grain method. 

10 liter batches.

No-sparge BIAB: 30 minute mash; pull the bag; add "first wort" bittering hops; then a 20 to 40 minute boil.

With a fine crush and squeezing the bag firmly, I get at least 75% mash efficiency at 30 minutes on moderate gravity recipes.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2023, 02:15:27 pm »
Thanks all - Really good stuff. I think I'll go with BIAB, keeping all these ideas in mind. I'm looking forward to getting back to all grain brewing. The mash is magic.