Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sausage  (Read 88001 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Sausage
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 01:59:15 pm »
 :o

Sweet setup corky, I'm totally jealous.  And I think I need to make sausage tonight.  I'm so easily influenced.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 01:59:55 pm »
Those are pretty sweet.

I have been dabbling in the art of charcuterie. Recently started curing meats and what not. Did some pork and a couple of corned beef. Havent made my own sausage yet but I have cured and cold smoked some fresh wild bore sausage. Pictured below. It was fantastic. Also pictured is wild boar roast. These pictures are from last winter too. I cant hit the temps for cold smoking till it is bellow freezing.

Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 02:17:42 pm »
I've wondered for a long time when someone would make it official that there was a sausage fest going on around here...
Phoenix, AZ

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 02:24:49 pm »
My wife was raised on a farm in France and we visit her family every other year.  I dearly love the charcutrie over there.  One BIL was a butcher and his specialty was charcutrie, especially cured hams(prosciutto style) and blood sausage.  French farmers in the post WWII era learned how to make damn near anything taste great.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 02:28:10 pm »
I've wondered for a long time when someone would make it official that there was a sausage fest going on around here...

Suffice it to say that you can set your inklings aside and let the festivities begin my freind.

The AHA sausage and beer fest has officially begun.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2010, 02:36:49 pm »
GO MEAT!!!
Phoenix, AZ

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2010, 05:08:38 pm »
Alright, I posted pics of my sausage.

How embarrassing if no one else does.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2010, 05:45:29 pm »
I'd show mine too but I haven't made any yet. :D

Cap do you hang those with beneficial organisms?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2010, 07:08:07 pm »
Just cured it with Morton's Tender Quick; that name is confusing cause it has nothing to do with tenderizing meat. It is a simple cure formula. of mostly salt with a  small amount of sodium nitrate and nitrite  I made a brine solution of the curing salt, sugar and spices  The wild boar sausage that was already made was brine cured. Not cured while ground before stuffing like klobasa is.

That is what I would like to learn to do.

Beneficial organisms, Is that what they call the stuff for the fermented meats like salami and pork roll?

Do you guys have pork roll or is that a local thing for me? MMM a Taylor pork roll sandwich from their restaurant on the Wildwood boardwalk....Nice.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2010, 07:47:29 pm »
I have a kitchen aid as well and have been thinking about getting the grinding and stuffing attachment.  I've made homemade sausage but just made patties so far.  My dad has one of these:

He inherited it from his father along with the recipe.  I got him to give me the recipe but I'm still tweeking the amounts of spices.  The recipe he has measures them in "hands per inch of meat".

For 5 lbs of pork sausage:

5 tsp salt
1.25 tsp pepper
5 tsp brown sugar
1.25 tsp coriandar
0.25 tsp thyme
1/2 + 1/8 tsp allspice
0.25 tsp dried sage
1/2 + 1/8 tsp paprika

The last time I made some it came out very close to what he makes.  My notes say up the spices a bit.  Also, you need a good bit of fat in the pork.  Since I can only ever find very lean ground pork around here I had the butcher grind up a couple pounds of beef fat for me and mixed it in.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2010, 07:58:52 pm »
That stuffer is beautiful, especially with the family connection.  Looking at the gears you can tell it was made to last, not like stuff made today.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2010, 10:26:12 pm »
Do you guys have pork roll or is that a local thing for me? MMM a Taylor pork roll sandwich from their restaurant on the Wildwood boardwalk....Nice.
I miss pork roll!  I grew up with it and had gotten over it, but got together with family 6 months ago and it brought all of the memories back.  But I got a recipe from someone on this board (who will remain nameless unless they choose to identify themselves, since it was through PM).  I gave it to a butcher willing to give it a try, and pick up the results this Saturday!  Very excited!  Taylor ham, fried egg, cheese, on an English muffin . . .yum!

Have I mentioned I'm very excited?!   ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2010, 04:35:52 am »

Yes you did.  ;D
Ron Price

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2010, 09:44:41 am »
I miss pork roll!  I grew up with it and had gotten over it, but got together with family 6 months ago and it brought all of the memories back.  But I got a recipe from someone on this board (who will remain nameless unless they choose to identify themselves, since it was through PM).  I gave it to a butcher willing to give it a try, and pick up the results this Saturday!  Very excited!  Taylor ham, fried egg, cheese, on an English muffin . . .yum!

Wow. I would love to see that. Is there some sort of fermenting step that sours the meat? There is one they use for salami, I think they even use it for proccuttio and soprasatta.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2010, 09:50:54 am »
Wow. I would love to see that. Is there some sort of fermenting step that sours the meat? There is one they use for salami, I think they even use it for proccuttio and soprasatta.
Yes, it's a 12-24 hour fermentation with LHP, which I understand is a couple of different strains of pediococcus.
Tom Schmidlin