Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grain bugs problem  (Read 3824 times)

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
Re: Grain bugs problem
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2021, 10:32:15 am »
wait til you hear about the wine world and "MOG" (material other than grapes). those big automated fruit harvesters cant tell the difference between a bunch of grapes or a dead racoon that was in the vines. Nothing worse than seeing an animal carcass going into the crusher/destemmer at a winery.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2021, 09:59:51 am »
wait til you hear about the wine world and "MOG" (material other than grapes). those big automated fruit harvesters cant tell the difference between a bunch of grapes or a dead racoon that was in the vines. Nothing worse than seeing an animal carcass going into the crusher/destemmer at a winery.

Well that is horrific.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

narvin

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2021, 05:50:18 pm »
Carcasses are an excellent source of nitrogen...

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2021, 06:59:44 pm »

Well that is horrific.
Yup, all the more reason to buy small and buy local. Most small time wineries are still handpicking fruit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2021, 05:52:28 am »

Well that is horrific.
Yup, all the more reason to buy small and buy local. Most small time wineries are still handpicking fruit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, the ones that grow their own fruit at least. Most small wineries in my area aren't actually growing their own grapes, so who knows where the must is coming from.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline JoanMCD

• 1st Kit
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2024, 02:04:53 pm »
So, I got this ten-pound pilsner malt sack a few months back, and oh boy, the grain bugs decided to make it their home. Total party crashers! Tried sealing it tight, but those sneaky bugs found their way in. I resorted to airtight containers with a strategic bay leaf defense – seems to be working. Also, went on a pantry-cleaning spree. Oh, and I had a hornet nest near my barn last year! Had to order a hornet nest removal because it was serious. Any of you faced similar bug battles with your brew stash?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 05:09:19 am by JoanMCD »