Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast, incremental feeding.  (Read 942 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Yeast, incremental feeding.
« on: February 21, 2024, 07:38:17 am »
Putting together a Belgian Tripel recipe. OG: 1.080 I will use either WY-3787 or WLP-530 and have read that they benefit from an incremental feeding schedule when using sugar in the fermentation. In essence, the yeast eats through the complex sugars first, then through the simple sugar. This will help with attenuation. If I do this I can feed the sugar solution back through the gas-in post on my PRV w/o worry of any O2 pick-up.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              But a couple of questions;

1- Should I wait until fermentation is complete with the complex sugars?
2- How much liquid sugar should I feed per feeding? I am thinking that I will divide feedings into thirds which will be 5.5lbs of sugar into 2 gallons/3 and feed once a day for 3 days
3- Should I feed it all at once or in thirds?

Thoughts??

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Yeast, incremental feeding.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2024, 08:32:34 am »
Putting together a Belgian Tripel recipe. OG: 1.080 I will use either WY-3787 or WLP-530 and have read that they benefit from an incremental feeding schedule when using sugar in the fermentation. In essence, the yeast eats through the complex sugars first, then through the simple sugar. This will help with attenuation. If I do this I can feed the sugar solution back through the gas-in post on my PRV w/o worry of any O2 pick-up.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              But a couple of questions;

2- How much liquid sugar should I feed per feeding? I am thinking that I will divide feedings into thirds which will be 5.5lbs of sugar into 2 gallons/3 and feed once a day for 3 days

Thoughts??

I have used 3787 many, many times. In fact, my last 2 batches. I can assure you that incremental feeding is not necessary. Westmalle (source of 3787) doesn't do it. Why should I?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2024, 08:42:41 am »
I do incremental feeding with my Belgian ales. I wait til "primary" is done before I begin feeding it simple sugar, to make sure it finishes dinner, before dessert. The way it was explained to me was that by incrementally feeding it, you're stringing the fermentation along, allowing for the driest, most complete result. If I'm adding say 2 lbs, I would add .5 lb each day for four days. 
Don't judge a beer by it's cover.

BJCP "Recognized" - Aspiring to Certified
Ohio Valley Homebrewers Association
Favorite Styles- German Lagers & Ales, Belgians of all kinds, Adjunct Stouts, SHV Beers, Barleywines/Old Ales

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2024, 08:57:38 am »

Thoughts??

I have used 3787 many, many times. In fact, my last 2 batches. I can assure you that incremental feeding is not necessary. Westmalle (source of 3787) doesn't do it. Why should I?

I brewed a BGSA about a year ago and it did not attenuate fully. Too sweet. I was hoping to avoid the same issue. Thanks Denny

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2024, 08:58:43 am »
I do incremental feeding with my Belgian ales. I wait til "primary" is done before I begin feeding it simple sugar, to make sure it finishes dinner, before dessert. The way it was explained to me was that by incrementally feeding it, you're stringing the fermentation along, allowing for the driest, most complete result. If I'm adding say 2 lbs, I would add .5 lb each day for four days.

Did you experience any negative effects?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2024, 10:11:20 am »

Thoughts??

I brewed a BGSA about a year ago and it did not attenuate fully. Too sweet. I was hoping to avoid the same issue. Thanks Denny

I'm not sure you should assume it happened because you didn't do incremental feeding. Again, why doesn't Westmalle do it?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2024, 10:17:41 am »

Did you experience any negative effects?
Absolutely not. I have done it dozens of times. Always works well. You don't have to worry about oxygen exposure- for one CO2 will be wafting out for the breif period your fermenter is not sealed, and additionaly you are giving it more food to ferment which will scour for oxygen.
Don't judge a beer by it's cover.

BJCP "Recognized" - Aspiring to Certified
Ohio Valley Homebrewers Association
Favorite Styles- German Lagers & Ales, Belgians of all kinds, Adjunct Stouts, SHV Beers, Barleywines/Old Ales

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2024, 03:22:59 pm »

Thoughts??
From "Yeast" by White and Zainasheff, pp 22-23, yeast consume simpler sugars  first. Sugars are consumed in this order: glucose, fructose, sucrose, maltose, maltotriose. Table sugar is sucrose, which is not the simplest of sugars, but is simpler than the maltose that makes up the bulk of the sugars in wort. You have your timeline backwards.

If you want to avoid oxygen pickup be sure to boil your syrup water to drive out all the dissolved oxygen before adding it to your beer.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2024, 03:32:15 pm »

Thoughts??
From "Yeast" by White and Zainasheff, pp 22-23, yeast consume simpler sugars  first. Sugars are consumed in this order: glucose, fructose, sucrose, maltose, maltotriose. Table sugar is sucrose, which is not the simplest of sugars, but is simpler than the maltose that makes up the bulk of the sugars in wort. You have your timeline backwards.

If you want to avoid oxygen pickup be sure to boil your syrup water to drive out all the dissolved oxygen before adding it to your beer.

Where do I have my timeline backwards? I want the yeast to consume the more complex yummies and then onto the more simpler yummies. If I am missing something please point it out.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2024, 04:03:59 pm »

Thoughts??

Where do I have my timeline backwards? I want the yeast to consume the more complex yummies and then onto the more simpler yummies. If I am missing something please point it out.
You said "..the yeast eats through the complex sugars first, then through the simple sugar." This statement is ambiguous. I took it to mean that you were saying the normal fermentation timeline is for the yeast to go complex to simple. I guess you were saying to wait until the yeast had consumed the complex sugars before feeding them the additional simple ones, but it was just worded poorly.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2024, 05:56:59 am »

Thoughts??

You said "..the yeast eats through the complex sugars first, then through the simple sugar." This statement is ambiguous. I took it to mean that you were saying the normal fermentation timeline is for the yeast to go complex to simple. I guess you were saying to wait until the yeast had consumed the complex sugars before feeding them the additional simple ones, but it was just worded poorly.

Got it. I agree I probably could have worded it differently.
Cheers!!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2024, 12:30:36 pm »
If your yeast is active, then it should consume any O2 introduced. That said, boiling is still probably a decent idea for sanitization purposes.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Homebrew_kev

• Cellarman
    • Check out my Instagram
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2024, 08:44:55 am »

I can assure you that incremental feeding is not necessary. Westmalle (source of 3787) doesn't do it. Why should I?

Not to pick on you, denny but I actually have the answer...

It comes down to tank geometry and hydrostatic pressure. That yeast strain will work differently when fermenting 5 gallons or 15bbl. The geometry of the tank matters. The weight of the wort pushes down to the bottom of the fermenter and increases the pressure (like swimming to the bottom of the deep end in a pool). I don't understand the science, but those belgian yeast strains operate differently while under pressure - which is helpful for those abbey/trappist commercial brewers. I wouldn't be surprised if Westmalle had specific requirements for the geometry of their fermenters. They can toss in their sugars in the whirlpool.

On a homebrew level, incremental feeding will ensure a you'll have a good batch.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 08:51:14 am by Homebrew_kev »

Offline Homebrew_kev

• Cellarman
    • Check out my Instagram
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2024, 08:57:31 am »
If your yeast is active, then it should consume any O2 introduced. That said, boiling is still probably a decent idea for sanitization purposes.

I know this goes against a lot of homebrewer knowledge - but adding in o2 at high krausen would help the yeast. Yeast prefers o2 before sugar and will scavenge o2 whenever it can. At high krausen it's most active, and giving it a shot of o2 would be helpful, especially if you're making a high abv belgian beer. I wouldn't even be worried about sanitizing it, there's trillions of super active yeast cells in there that whatever household bacteria gets in there wouldn't stand a chance. I'd be more concerned about adding in unfiltered water, with chlorine and stuff like that. But, I think thinning out the sugar would be helpful, as it would disperse better in the fermenter.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2024, 09:06:13 am »

I can assure you that incremental feeding is not necessary. Westmalle (source of 3787) doesn't do it. Why should I?

Not to pick on you, denny but I actually have the answer...

It comes down to tank geometry and hydrostatic pressure. That yeast strain will work differently when fermenting 5 gallons or 15bbl. The geometry of the tank matters. The weight of the wort pushes down to the bottom of the fermenter and increases the pressure (like swimming to the bottom of the deep end in a pool). I don't understand the science, but those belgian yeast strains operate differently while under pressure - which is helpful for those abbey/trappist commercial brewers. I wouldn't be surprised if Westmalle had specific requirements for the geometry of their fermenters. They can toss in their sugars in the whirlpool.

On a homebrew level, incremental feeding will ensure a you'll have a good batch.

Yes, I understand hydrostatic pressure but I really don't think that's the issue. Not to mention my own experience of using 3787 dozens of times. Why sugar in the whirlpool?

www.dennybrew.com