Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentis W-68 availability  (Read 723 times)

Offline saaz amore

• Cellarman
  • When your beer has a smell like a Pilsner Urquell
Fermentis W-68 availability
« on: February 21, 2024, 04:27:21 pm »
As I checked out the new URL for dmtaylor's yeast chart in this thread, I noticed that Fermentis has a new German wheat strain, the aptly-named W-68.

A quick google turned up several online retailers in the EU and UK that carry W-68, but none in the US. I went a bit deeper and checked individual sites like MoreBeer, RiteBrew, etc., but didn't see it listed. I emailed RiteBrew, my go-to supplier for dry yeast, and their reply was that they "don't have any information on that strain."

Has anyone seen W-68 for sale in the US, or does anyone have information about its availability outside of Europe? I've used the usual dry strains for Weizen (Munich Classic, MJ, Mauribrew, even T-58), and am eager to try this one as well.

https://youtu.be/ByoOAC3ME7o?si=LTC2NEJepmqhaPQd

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Fermentis W-68 availability
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2024, 04:57:21 pm »
It might only available in big commercial brewer bricks, if available at all right now in the USA, and the homebrew sized sachets will be rolled out later.  Hopefully somebody will post a link with specifics under my response here.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 05:05:00 pm by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2024, 05:08:26 pm »
It might only available in big commercial brewer bricks, if available at all right now in the USA, and the homebrew sized sachets will be rolled out later.  Hopefully somebody will post a link with specifics under my response here.

just restating what you said, but i recall hearing that it was very new and yeah - craft breweries get it first.

though quickly googling - https://bsgcanada.com/fermentis-safale-w-68-115-g/

i think bsg supplies breweries, though apparently they have a 11.5g packet. so yeah, keep looking. good luck.

Offline saaz amore

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2024, 08:01:44 pm »
Thanks for adding that. BSG Canada is the first listing I've seen in North America. I don't think they sell to homebrewers, though.

I've seen 11.5g, 100g and 500g packages in the EU.

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2024, 11:35:16 am »
One thing that seems really strange about W-68: "Not for refermentation (bottle or keg conditioning)." He explains that it is maltotriose positive, so if you have any maltotriose left when bottling, it could over attenuate / over carbonate. If you take this literally, you couldn't use it if you planned to bottle condition. That doesn't seem logical - I see no reason why maltotriose would remain after primary fermentation when using it. They probably mean you shouldn't use it to add when bottling in case the yeast has depleted - that would make sense to me. If this becomes available, I'll contact Fermentis about bottling to get clarification.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2024, 11:44:44 am »
One thing that seems really strange about W-68: "Not for refermentation (bottle or keg conditioning)." He explains that it is maltotriose positive, so if you have any maltotriose left when bottling, it could over attenuate / over carbonate. If you take this literally, you couldn't use it if you planned to bottle condition. That doesn't seem logical - I see no reason why maltotriose would remain after primary fermentation when using it. They probably mean you shouldn't use it to add when bottling in case the yeast has depleted - that would make sense to me. If this becomes available, I'll contact Fermentis about bottling to get clarification.

fermentis is the king of bizarre information on their yeast packages.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2024, 05:02:20 am »
I ordered a brick from BSG. If anyone local wants to try it let me know!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2024, 01:05:43 pm »
This morning BSG said they were still waiting to receive it so I'm on hold... :-\

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2024, 04:19:33 pm »
Shipping out tomorrow! Can't wait to try it. I'm doing a 1bbl batch of Roggenbeir with a regular customer who is also a homebrewer in the next couple weeks. If anyone local wants a to try some let me know

Offline saaz amore

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2024, 05:16:53 pm »
Great! Let us know what you think of the yeast, and I hope it gives you a solid Roggenbier.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2024, 08:24:27 am »

Ashton Lewis (Mr. Wizard) who works for BSG made a beer with sample that Fermentis sent him and gave a positive review of the yeast. He mentioned get a significant amount of banana and clove flavors from the yeast.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline saaz amore

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2024, 02:56:49 pm »
I emailed Fermentis, and they replied within 24 hours. Looks like W-68 will be available in the US and Canada from the latter half of April 2024.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2024, 03:10:43 pm »

Ashton Lewis (Mr. Wizard) who works for BSG made a beer with sample that Fermentis sent him and gave a positive review of the yeast. He mentioned get a significant amount of banana and clove flavors from the yeast.

Saw that on his FB page which is what made me want to try it!

Offline saaz amore

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2024, 08:10:04 pm »
Just found this:
https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/safale-w-68

I assume it'll arrive at other US retailers and e-tailers very soon as well.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 05:02:28 pm by saaz amore »

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Fermentis W-68 availability
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2024, 09:06:22 am »
Shipping out tomorrow! Can't wait to try it. I'm doing a 1bbl batch of Roggenbeir with a regular customer who is also a homebrewer in the next couple weeks. If anyone local wants a to try some let me know
I have a German Wheat in the planning pipeline. I’d like to try this if you still have a few grams available.

I need to make it over there to try that Roggenbier.

One day, you’ll wake up and there won’t be anymore time to do the things you’ve always wanted to do. Don’t wait. Do it now.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 09:31:17 am by BrewBama »