Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: the perception that homebrewing equipment is incredibly expensive needs to end  (Read 1357 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
...the public perception is that homebrewing equipment is exhorbitantly expensive...

Homebrewing can be exorbitantly expensive, but it doesn't have to be.

I think the extreme customizability of the hobby needs to be touted more. Love gadgets and new-fangled tech? Homebrewing can be that. Love simplicity and a connection to history? Homebrewing can be that too!

You can ferment in clay, glass, plastic, or stainless steel.

You can control temperature to the fraction of a degree or brew with the seasons and let nature take its course.

It's your hobby: lean into what makes it fun for you.

i really like this because it touches on brewing as an element of culture (the thing created by humans)

we're creating a tasteful drug as people always have. stop relying on corporations to provide you this stuff.

literally RDW. HAHB.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster

what do you (you and anyone) think about brewing with friends or other people over and taking part? i have always done it super solo, though i could imagine some day a partner helping me. im sure that could be fun for some people.

I’m a solo, early morning brewer just looking for Zen time.

But I’d be fine with having someone over on brew day.  The only thing is, with my BIAB process there really isn’t a whole lot to do.  For a 4-1/2 hour brew day, there’s probably 45 minutes of activity and most of that is sanitizing equipment and then cleaning up afterwards.  But I can let them smack the yeast pack.   :)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
These two statements seem contradictory:

… The only thing is, with my BIAB process there really isn’t a whole lot to do.  …

… but personally if I wanted all the work done for me I would just buy beer. ;)

[break]

For me: I enjoy the process even more now that I have a goal to achieve. Thru the Master HomeBrew Program I want to brew all 41 categories with a score of 30 or more (Jack of all Trades). It inherently answers the age old question of what to brew next and forces me out of my brewing comfort zone.

I find myself immersed in the recipe, grain, hop, and yeast selection, processes and techniques to achieve a result, and the planning and logistics of mapping out what competition will be available when beers will be at their peak.  I literally have a spreadsheet and calendar to plan and track progress.

I was never into competitions until this new goal. It’s not about winning anymore. It’s about hitting/exceeding a minimum score in a category. It puts some skin in the process. For me, it takes the fun to the next level.

I believe this goal can be achieved by a brewer in the driveway with a spoon, a bag, a cooler and a kettle or a fully automated stainless system on steroids.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 02:40:06 pm by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
...the public perception is that homebrewing equipment is exhorbitantly expensive...

Homebrewing can be exorbitantly expensive, but it doesn't have to be.

I think the extreme customizability of the hobby needs to be touted more. Love gadgets and new-fangled tech? Homebrewing can be that. Love simplicity and a connection to history? Homebrewing can be that too!

You can ferment in clay, glass, plastic, or stainless steel.

You can control temperature to the fraction of a degree or brew with the seasons and let nature take its course.

It's your hobby: lean into what makes it fun for you.

I've been saying that for 20 years. It's why we wrote Simple Homebrewing
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog

I 100% agree with the original post in this thread. It's not a new problem, either!

The issue (in my opinion) isn't so much that you can brew with minimal equipment, and we need to broadcast that more, but that the most visible voices for homebrewing are using higher-end equipment (or equipment that would appear to be higher-end to someone who is new to the hobby or on limited financial and/or spatial needs).

I started as a partial volume boil stovetop extract brewer. It took me a long time to brave all-grain (even though I had some desire) because the most visible images for all-grain were gigantic three-tier systems. Financially, well out of my league. Eventually, I found out about batch sparging...but that wasn't really viable either, because at the time I had very limited space and no capacity to get a large burner or kettle for the five gallon batches I aspired to.

Today, electric all-in-one setups are very common...but the prevailing image is that you need a $500+ investment to get started there. (yes, I know there are systems that run for less, but they are not the ones most visible on YouTube, podcasts, etc.). I saw the comment up-thread that the Grainfather is affordable...it's still a $700 baseline investment for the lowest cost system on their website. That's a ton of money. If you can afford an all-in-one, then you usually get the messaging that you absolutely need to have a 240v outlet available. That's great if you are a homeowner, but anyone who isn't will feel that they're out of luck and not necessarily able to join in the hobby.

Yes, I know there are other voices, but the reality is that the dominant public perception tilts towards the hobby being expensive.
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
…the process is the fun part…

Excellent.

Join or renew with the AHA and receive your free “The Process is the Fun Part” T-shirt!

That’s the message that is getting lost, or at least not properly communicated, as far as I’m concerned.

And as a (relatively) new homebrewer, your opinion is worth far, far more than .02. 

Cheers!

I am on autorenew I think.  Can I get one now?  LOL.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
what do you (you and anyone) think about brewing with friends or other people over and taking part? i have always done it super solo, though i could imagine some day a partner helping me. im sure that could be fun for some people.

I have been thinking of having a brew day with anyone from the area, but the problem is I just don't have the room.  When my brother and I brewed it was fun.  He did extract and I did AG.  We had a few beers and goofed off and it was a fun day to hang out. 

« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 02:21:15 pm by redrocker652002 »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew

I have been thinking of having a brew day with anyone from the area, but the problem is I just don't have the room.  When my brother and I brewed it was fun.  He did extract and I did AG.  We had a few beers and goofed off and it was a fun day to hang out.

Once or twice a year I have people over when I brew, although frankly I prefer brewing alone. When I have people here, the beervtakes a back seat to the experience.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
I blame social media. When I started brewing I learned from reading and there weren't a lot of homebrewing how-to books out at that time. Charlie Papazian's classic was about it. Today the first thing someone interested in brewing does is go to social media. There they see racks and stacks of shiny stainless steel and an endless variety of high tech equipment. Even the trusty, budget friendly hydrometer has been usurped by a $500 digital gizmo. Newcomers see this over and over on social media and it's no wonder they get the impression that homebrewing is expensive.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline BrewnWKopperKat

• Cellarman
The public perception is that homebrewing equipment is exhorbitantly expensive and makes homebrewing inherently more expensive than buying beer
If there were a document that described how to stove top brew 3.0 gal all-grain (BIAB) batches (yields a 24 pack of 12 oz bottles) with common kitchen equipment, would that be a starting point to change the perception?  If so, could that document be packaged for sale?  Or would that document need to be published online for free? 

eta: the document would be similar to chapter 1 of How To Brew, 4e and Speed Brewing, but with a tight focus on processes (leaving out 'brewing elements' ingredient overviews)

You know how cheap homebrewers are

I do. 

But I'm in that (slowly disappearing) group of brewers who are willing to pay for quality books.  Later this fall, if I get interested in lagers, I may buy the new Lagers book (my basement fermentation temperature control practices have a seasonal aspect). 

The public perception is that homebrewing equipment is exhorbitantly expensive and makes homebrewing inherently more expensive than buying beer
If there were a document that described how to stove top brew 3.0 gal all-grain (BIAB) batches (yields a 24 pack of 12 oz bottles) with common kitchen equipment, would that be a starting point to change the perception?  If so, could that document be packaged for sale?  Or would that document need to be published online for free? 

eta: the document would be similar to chapter 1 of How To Brew, 4e and Speed Brewing, but with a tight focus on processes (leaving out 'brewing elements' ingredient overviews)

[...]

information should always be free [...]

Even when limiting the topic to brewing beer at home, this may be wishful thinking, especially if one is interested in current content or quality curated content.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT0NEN0fA_8
literally every single gizmo known to homebrewing. just absurd and annoying. oh morebeer sent her one. wow how kind. wheres mine? i can wear shortshorts too.

every algorithm working youtube video preview like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_EKmBeYqTI
"oh hey guys! this is our 40,000 dollar brew shed we have for some reason"

social media culture has warped everyone, and i know its a tired alreay cliched thing to say. but its an insane force. i feel like people are more materialistic and accepting of the commercial sphere pushing into their life way way more than even 10 years ago.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster

But I’d be fine with having someone over on brew day.  The only thing is, with my BIAB process there really isn’t a whole lot to do.  For a 4-1/2 hour brew day, there’s probably 45 minutes of activity and most of that is sanitizing equipment and then cleaning up afterwards.  But I can let them smack the yeast pack.   :)

I really love brewing alone. Just something about getting into my zone alone mood and trying to create something that I can in-turn share with others. Everything has been prepared the day before. On brew day I start early, about 5:30 am.Turn the pumps on, start heating the water, head upstairs and make coffee and look over my process for the brew day. As far as having anyone over on brew day, I tried that when I started brewing on my new system and I didn't like it at all! It got in the way of my process and took my mind out of the game. Too much distraction with too many questions. That's one reason I started brewing very early in the morning, no one asks to come watch!! LOL! Some mornings I will listen to music but most days I will have some classic Sunday morning old school cartoons playing, think Popeye, Looney Toons and the Flintstones!! My brew day, start to mop-up, lasts about 5-6 hours and to me, that's quality time spent alone. As stated above....Zen Time!! Cheers!!

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster

I really love brewing alone. Just something about getting into my zone alone mood and trying to create something that I can in-turn share with others. Everything has been prepared the day before. On brew day I start early, about 5:30 am.Turn the pumps on, start heating the water, head upstairs and make coffee and look over my process for the brew day. As far as having anyone over on brew day, I tried that when I started brewing on my new system and I didn't like it at all! It got in the way of my process and took my mind out of the game. Too much distraction with too many questions. That's one reason I started brewing very early in the morning, no one asks to come watch!! LOL! Some mornings I will listen to music but most days I will have some classic Sunday morning old school cartoons playing, think Popeye, Looney Toons and the Flintstones!! My brew day, start to mop-up, lasts about 5-6 hours and to me, that's quality time spent alone. As stated above....Zen Time!! Cheers!!

actually thats an interesting fact that should be stressed - the passive/down time in a brew day. yes its 4 or 5 hours. but i frequently can take a full hour, and then a full 40 mins at various times.

tbh i havent had a true dream, alone brewday without people or to-do things breathing down my neck in years and years. easily 10 years or so.

if i did, i would likely be playing music the whole time, loud.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
In reference to the subject line, now that aging homebrewers are retiring from the hobby and are not being replaced in numbers by younger brewers, who prefer to sip on White Claw in a sunlit fern-filled setting, there is a boatload of cheap homebrewing equipment available for sale if you spend time searching it out on Craig's list, Facebook, etc. Since this is bulky equipment, you need to find a local seller to come pick it up.

While on this subject, if you live in western Montana, I have a lot of free glass carboys.  ;D

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
In reference to the subject line, now that aging homebrewers are retiring from the hobby and are not being replaced in numbers by younger brewers, who prefer to sip on White Claw in a sunlit fern-filled setting, there is a boatload of cheap homebrewing equipment available for sale if you spend time searching it out on Craig's list, Facebook, etc. Since this is bulky equipment, you need to find a local seller to come pick it up.

While on this subject, if you live in western Montana, I have a lot of free glass carboys.  ;D

very good point, and also thinking of how things work in the world - things rise and fall and rise again. nothing is forever (meaning homebrew's current decline wont last forever)