Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Call for Ideas - Organization  (Read 2494 times)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Call for Ideas - Organization
« on: October 11, 2010, 12:00:17 pm »
Ok, so we started a thread a while back about this topic, but there's work to be done.

I went on the Sunday Session last night to talk with the crew there and get the word out to that segment of the world, but what I'm looking for is help in making things organized in the brewhouse.

You know the sort of thing I'm talking about - how do you store stuff in an organized fashion, how do you make your brew house presentable to folks who may or may not be afraid of some clutter? What spiffy thing did you discover that makes the brew day easier to run?

Pictures are great and as always - any ideas and photos that you can offer may end up in Zymurgy and out to everyone in the homebrewing world!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
Re: Call for Ideas - Organization
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 12:06:46 pm »
Lots of hooks on the wall to hang things.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 12:52:08 pm »
The very first thing to do is develop a process flow chart. Which should encompass every operation in the process.  The brewery should flow from the first operation (grain storage) all the way through to the end (bottling and storage). The process should be effective and efficient.

After the flow chart has been developed, the design should be conceptually tested. Start by staging process checkpoints and troubleshooting the design (any missing elements?).  Limitations should be addressed. (plumbing, electric, etc...)

A home brewery, like mine for example, is almost always limited by space.  :(

Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 01:16:42 pm »
How soon do you need pics, Drew.  I'm out of town this week but I could get you some over the weekend if that's not too late.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 01:37:28 pm »
Need photos within a month, so there's plenty of time.

Definitely need the ideas so I can start sorting, arranging, organizing and placing of my stuff in the new locale.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 05:49:37 pm »
This is more small picture type stuff, but I've found that a fishing tackle box is a great way to organize and store keg parts, water salts, pH strips, whirlfloc tablets, etc. Having everything organized and in one place has definitely made my brewdays easier.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 05:50:53 pm »
Just make a massive Rube Goldberg that brews!!!

I agree with the many hooks. But if space is limited nothing wrong with having the brew
area be the hub and have all the tools, materials and equipment be the spokes. As long as everything
has its place and you always return it...

+1 on the toolbox/tackle box. I have a cheap stanley toolbox for my brewing...
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 08:19:42 pm »
Totally do-it-yourself organized.  8)

Ron Price

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 08:52:05 pm »
In my experience, I find hooks aren't that great when I want to sanitize tubing as it is often too close to the wall and the tubing invariably tends to "bump" the unsanitized wall.  If I'm just cleaning up and putting away (not sanitizing), then hooks or over open doors or on door knobs works just fine for me.

(remember, bleach takes 20 minutes contact time, Iodophor takes 2 minutes contact time, and StarSan requires 30 seconds contact time, but the foam takes forever to drip off, it seems). 

If indoors, I hang my sanitized hoses over the shower curtain rod.  Drips go into (or close to) the tub.  Less domestic strife.

Outdoors is a little tougher--I use a porchlight fixture to accomplish the task.

I use the "WorkForce" plastic toolbox and "Stanley" organizer boxes to keep all my assorted brew salt additions, whirlfloc, and such organized.

Offline karlh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 01:50:24 pm »
I built a box that fits under the main structure of my 3-tier.  This allowed me to fit all of my kettles, chiller, etc. right with the brewing system and a bag of charcoal or two.  There is a picture where you can see part of it here (http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=1036.0).  This isn't really a magic pill, and I still have to clean everything and get it into its place, but it keeps it out of my wife's view to a certain extent. 
Karl
Mundelein, IL  USA