Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Giant Tea Ball for hops?  (Read 11713 times)

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
Giant Tea Ball for hops?
« on: October 21, 2010, 11:47:43 am »
Anyone use one of these (http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Locking-Strainer-Infuser-Diameter/dp/B003FCMCMO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1287682738&sr=8-6) for hops in the boil?

One reviewer says they work great for homebrewing, but the mesh looked maybe a bit open for containing pellet debris well.  I currently use a 5-gallon paint strainer bag which works well enough and is super-inexpensive, but I like the idea of the durability of stainless and not having to worry about my bag coming open and hops getting everywhere.  These are inexpensive enough, I maybe
have to try it regardless, would have enough other uses around the kitchen anyway.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Giant Tea Ball for hops?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 11:52:20 am »
No...but I like the idea.  Let us know how it works out if you decide to try it.  I have also used the paint strainer bag which worked out pretty well but now I'm using muslin bags.
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 11:56:43 am »
I've used the smaller 2" versions to dry-hop in the keg. A while back people were talking about using the 3" tea balls to good effect. I like the looks of this 5.5" "jumbo" version.

BTW, a few fragments do make their way out of the mesh but nothing to deter using this approach.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 02:50:27 pm »
Excellent, I shall procure one and report on it's performance.

One thing I'm trying to envision is how easy it is to open when in use.  I'd like to put all hop charges for your average batch in at their appropriate intervals. Wonder how easy the thing would be to open\use after removing it from boiling wort! 

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 03:46:12 pm »
Hot stainless steel.  Not something I want to touch.

Perhaps if you had two or three of the smaller ones?

I've opened the muslin bags (or whatever they're made of) to add hops and they can get hot enough that I wouldn't want to be grabbing a steel tea ball.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 08:28:12 am »
One think to remember is that pallet hops will expand when wet.

Once is used small SS tea bag for dry hopping.
Hops expanded and I ended up with tea bag filled with hops and beer could not get thru it.

In OP you said you want to use it for boil. It could work afterall.
Heat might be a concern but then BK is hot too.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 12:27:37 pm »
Don't fill the ball all the way- maybe half-full at the most.

I wasn't thinking of the boil initially but one probably should secure the latch on the ball with a twist-tie. Don't want it to pop open right?

And a piece of string tied to the ball will make it easier to fish it out of the kettle.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 06:00:34 pm »
Don't fill the ball all the way- maybe half-full at the most.

I wasn't thinking of the boil initially but one probably should secure the latch on the ball with a twist-tie. Don't want it to pop open right?

And a piece of string tied to the ball will make it easier to fish it out of the kettle.
I use dental floss,,,,the flat ribbon to suspend recaoture the ball.BTW this looks like a great mousetrap. I have been using the smaller 2" stylewith Hop Plugs and good results. They do however leave little hop "Ghosts" floating around
until much time and settling has occured.

Edit: I wonder how well a 5 inch diameter ball will fit into the lid opening of a corny keg??
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 11:06:05 am by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 04:27:45 pm »
Edit: I wonder how well a 5 inch diameter ball will fit into the lid opening of a corny keg??
I would say no.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 02:03:14 am »
I use that exact giant tea ball when I want to use large amounts of pellet hops. The hops will expand and soak up wort enough to fill the whole thing, but I don't think that has any ill effect - it works great, IMO. But don't try to se it for dry hopping because there is no way it will fit in a corny keg.

Offline foobrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 04:08:20 pm »
Anyone use one of these (http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Locking-Strainer-Infuser-Diameter/dp/B003FCMCMO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1287682738&sr=8-6) for hops in the boil?

Have you considered using/building a hop bag hanger? Here's a link to a semi-elaborate one but there are lots of other designs for the same thing on the web:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/hop-bag-hanger-73829/

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 05:57:02 pm »
I've also heard that on some of those stainless steal tea balls, the clasps are chromed brass and therefore not good for dryhopping as it will slowly dissolve into the beer.  This happened to someone on the NB forum.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 05:42:28 pm »
I think these stainless steel tea bags work great.  They fit in a corny keg with no problem.  I've used it in the boil and in the corny with aging beer, with no issue of corrosion.  I bought mine for 5 dollars.

The diameter for this tea bag is 3 inches and it holds about 2-3oz hops with enough room leftover for proper circulation.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 05:52:37 pm by pyrite »
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 07:43:21 am »
I think these stainless steel tea bags work great.  They fit in a corny keg with no problem.  I've used it in the boil and in the corny with aging beer, with no issue of corrosion.  I bought mine for 5 dollars.

The diameter for this tea bag is 3 inches and it holds about 2-3oz hops with enough room leftover for proper circulation.

I have one as well and they work great for pellet hops.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 11:20:15 am »
Yeah foobrew, I had seen those types of contraptions too.  Works great for hops, but seemed over-engineered and would be awkward when it's time to drop the immersion chiller in.

I liked the perceived durability of the tea-balls being stainless and - and yes, concerns about enough 'flow' through the ball for good alpha acid extraction we in the back of my mind, thus wondering about what size\how many to get.

However, the inconvenience of having to pull it from the wort, open it (coated in very hot wort), drop in more hops, close and re-immerse have prevented me from getting one (or two) *just* yet.  I may visit the local Asian market and see if they've got some I can look at in-person.  The security and ease of operating the clasp could make or break it for me.