Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sam Adams Latitude 48 IPA  (Read 4234 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Sam Adams Latitude 48 IPA
« on: November 10, 2010, 12:16:22 am »
Always try a new Sam Adams product unless spices are involved and don't think I've seen this before .

I got the beer too cold- 37F But as it warms I'm getting a big upfront bitterness and hop flavor across my entire tongue and past.  :o  Nice subtle burnt caramel tones and round mouthfeel as it continues to warm. Sweet malt and hop aroma fills up my nose. Carbonation is ok.

It's totally a SA product, much as I can also recognize a New Belgium beer.

Pushing the limits on dryness. It's a little drier than I care for, but totally within style for an IPA (I think).

Interesting beer. They say "unique". The play on the aroma vs the dry bitter character is interesting. Dichotomy there but as a presentation/statement I think I get it.

First beer final impression. Never thought I'd say it: cloying bitterness? And not in the sweet way.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
Re: Sam Adams Latitude 48 IPA
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 02:34:33 am »
I'm too lazy to Google it, but, what are the hop varieties used?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 11:50:08 am »
I'm too lazy to Google it, but, what are the hop varieties used?

Bottle says "...a carefully selected blend of hops from top German, English and American growing regions..."

I'm finding that it goes very well with cheese.  :)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 11:20:51 pm »
I get a "Magnum" hop flavor, its very green leaf or vegetal tasting and no citrus flavor.  Not sure I like this... SA has let me down the last few beers of theirs that I've tried now.  I don't mind the light carmel sweetness which took about half a bottle before I noticed any.  The bottle is dated for July 2011...   :-\

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 09:04:38 am »
Yeah, it's "ok" but not an excellent IPA. Agree with Dean's comments about "grassy" and no citrus. Wouldn't turn my nose up to one if you handed it to me though.  ;)

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 03:02:59 pm »
Anybody seen this "deconstructed"? 
I picked up a special release 12 pack and they have single hopped versions of all 5 hops used in the original.

Zeus, Simcoe, Haller Mittle, Goldings, and Antanum.  It is a pretty cool deal, especially if you like IPA.

I think my favorite was the Zeus.

Check it out.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 03:05:12 pm »
I picked up a special release 12 pack and they have single hopped versions of all 5 hops used in the original.

Zeus, Simcoe, Haller Mittle, Goldings, and Antanum.  It is a pretty cool deal, especially if you like IPA.

Check it out.

Yeah - I got it this weekend - tried the EKG, Zeus and Ahtanum so far - I like the last two but the EKG was a bit harsh actually.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 05:04:01 pm »
I found some Lattitude 48 IPA here, but it was date marked - best before May, so I passed.

It was in the same store where I bought the stale Noble Pils.

I'd really like to try these beers, but I have a strong aversion to paying $10/six-pack for stale beer.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 05:24:44 pm »

I had the deconstructed Simcoe and Hallertauer on draught last night. Both were quite good.

Simcoe deconstructed was a typical West Coast-style AIPA, but I thought that the malt could be slightly richer and the hops were a bit rough in the finish.

Hallertauer Mittelfruh was excellent, but it was an APA, not an AIPA. IMO, you can't make an AIPA using just Hallertauer Mittelfruh - there just isn't enough alpha acid in them unless you use ridiculous amounts.

Yes, according to the Sam Adams rep who was there at the tasting event, they used Hallertauer Mittelfruh for bittering. Bloody waste of expensive noble hops if you ask me. I would have cheated and used Perle.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 07:50:31 pm »
I saw this beer at the my local liquor store but passed it up. Now I have to try it as this thread has sparked my interest. Sounds interesting.

From their website:

Samuel Adams® Latitude 48 IPA is a unique IPA brewed with a select blend of hops from top German, English, and American growing regions all located close to the 48th latitude within the “hop belt” of the Northern Hemisphere.  The combination of hops in this beer creates a distinctive but not overpowering hop character.  The beer is dry hopped with Ahtanum, Simcoe®*, and East Kent Goldings hops for a powerful citrus and earthy aroma.  The hop character is balanced by a slight sweetness and full body from the malt blend.
Ron Price

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 11:17:17 pm »
Has anyone found the "deconstructed" on the west coast yet, and if so who is distributing? I went out in search of the SA lat48 decon and was SOL... however, I did stumble across  the last case and a half of Pliny the Elder at a neighborhood beer house and snatched up my allotment of two. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 07:04:04 am »

Check it out.
I looked for this yesterday at the Total Wine then checked with the distributor and I can't find it here yet.  I really want to taste these.  It sounds like a great idea to check the flavors of individual hops in the same beer.
Yeah - I got it this weekend - tried the EKG, Zeus and Ahtanum so far - I like the last two but the EKG was a bit harsh actually.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 08:32:15 pm »
I picked up a sizer of it, and for the money, I'm really happy with it. Personally, I like a dry, light on the carmel IPA. In fact, I mash my house IPA at 148*, to dry it out. I bitter with Mags, and go Cascade the rest of the way, so with the SA, the lack of citrus is a pleasant change for me. I guess I can't really complain about it at all.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 07:07:52 pm »
The deconstructed Latitude 48 finally got here and I purchased a 12 pack over the weekend.  The version using Hallertauer Mittlefruh is nice, but not bitter enough to be an IPA.  Much better than the noble hop IPA we had at the BJCP reception in S.D.
I had the Zeus and Simcoe versions since then, both of which are very good (and I'm not a Simcoe fan).
It is a fun experiment and I recommend trying it out.
The individually hopped versions seem to me to be better than the whole version.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 07:12:37 pm »
Saw the deconstructed out of the corner of my eye the other night at the beer store. P/u a 12er. Have tasted all the single hopped iterations. Only noticed the enjoy by date today. By Sept. Oops. The hop character was a bit muted on all but the Hallertau Mittlefrueh version, the tastiest by far, of the group(at this age). Need to try the offering fresh for sure. In order of preference: Hallertau Mittlefrueh, Simcoe, EKG, Zeus, Ahtanum. Will get to the "constructed" brew tomorrow.
This tasting, plus my love for one of the great all time best single hop beers, THA, has got the wheels turning for a run of single hop AIPA brews. Finally kegging an all Galaxy hopped AIPA this weekend. Tasted very promising before dry hop.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member